LegacyGT.com

Only left front speaker working?

torn891

I have a Pioneer deh-2100IB in my 2003 legacy. Only my front left speakers are working. I havent pulled the unit yet...but kind of weird its only the front left.

Do you think its the channels in the radio? or crappy wiring- (bought the car a year ago with this unit in it- worked perfecrtly for 12 mths

.)

If it was just front- or rear i get it...but i dint think 3 of 4 channels would go on a unit like this all at once.

ideas before i do a radio autopsy? At lest now i have a little radio for my commute- i dont want to tear it apart and loose valuable radio time unless i have an ide of how to fix it (besides going to best buy)

I am assuming that the speakers are wired from the head unit and not from an amp? I would pull the head unit out first and check the terminations/joints of the problem speakers and go from there. If they are only twisted together and then taped up, then I would suggest grabbing a soldering iron, some heat shrink and doing it properly.

Are you only running factory speakers??? Do you drive them particularly hard? Factory speakers can die very quickly if being abused while only being powered off a head unit. The signal clips very easily and can destroy voice coils etc.

thanks garbo- Connections all looked good behind the unit- I never even thought that it might be the speakers themselves- They are all stock- and yes- I terrorize them as i drive windows down sunroof open most of the time. I'm going to pull the speakers next and check them out. That actually makes alot more sence than something in the head unit as i believe that its only 2 channel (front and rear) and not 4 independent channels to go bad

Archived