LegacyGT.com

Need Help, Serious Problem!

Driving my car home from work, it was driving fine all day, running good as usual. As I come to a stop light on my way home, it starts shaking very bad, and sounds as if its about to stall. So with nobody for miles I run the stop light and get home, as my house is just half a mile away. Check engine light starts blinking then it would stop, then start blinking again. The vibration seemed to stop as I was driving, then when I stopped again it came back. I figured I'd just shut it off for now, leave it be, deal with it tomorrow. I figured I'd just come to you guys, if you know the problem....just break the news to me doc....... :icon_cry:

Might I add that the car has had these oil leaking problems since I bought it. I would end up running the car low on oil, but never close to dangerously low. I would always fill it up the very day I saw she was low. The motor is not making a tap or knock of any kind. Also, engine temperature was normal when I shut the car off.

And now the parking lights just randomly came on for about 10 seconds and went off, I didn't touch a thing. Im leaving the car disarmed and unlocked just in case the alarm decides to start going off.

And yeah the shaking does sound like a misfire. My car has been running some exhaust code for some time. I've had it cleared and fixed by both a muffler shop and a local Subaru dealership. I have no idea why it comes back on. I think it was an EGR code? Or Exhaust Manifold, something along those lines. I'll definitely have to get a scanner on her tomorrow.

subarus will run on 3 cylinders and you can keep them running on 2 cylinders if you can get it started. it sounds like you have 2 cylinders misfiring. read the codes.

if you have codes for 1&2 (or 3&4) you probably have a bad coil or igniter.

if you have codes for 1&3 (or 2&4) it has probably jumped time. remove the cam covers and compare the timing marks.

it could be other things, injectors maybe, but the above are two easy things to check.

May need to pull the plugs too, and have a look.

They could be fouled.

Ding Ding Ding! Plugs were fouled. Also uncovered my valves are going bad. Also my oil sending unit was leaking badly, so a new one was put in. I dumped some lucas oil treatment shit in it, and cleaned the injectors. Shes running good now. However knowing those valves are going bad, and the age of the ol' girl, she'll be getting put on craigslist soon :( .

I stopped by the local Subaru dealership today though to talk new car, im in the market for a 4th gen Leggy GT now, gotta stay in the family.

Replacing the valves aren't that bad; while you're in there, you can throw in a new HG too. If she runs fine for your taste and you have the time to do the work, it's so much cheaper than a new car.

Or you could sell it to me :) 5 speed?

if the plugs are fouled, something fouled them. it could be they fouled because they were not firing. i don't think plugs foul by magic.

and what makes you think the valves are going? these engines will go 250k miles or more if you maintain them (and replace the head gaskets). and valves going bad is not a leading cause of DOOM. yes they can go bad, and yours may be on the way out, but without some tests, compression, leak down, etc, i would not assume the valves are going. unless it jumped time.

on the other hand, if you want a new car, then yes your valves are bad, and some other member wants to buy your car as is.

I had this precise issue on a Ford, plugs fouled, misfire code, but no coolant loss. Headgasket popped between two cyls. Check compression if It's bad on both that's what it could be.

if the plugs are fouled, something fouled them. it could be they fouled because they were not firing. i don't think plugs foul by magic.

and what makes you think the valves are going? these engines will go 250k miles or more if you maintain them (and replace the head gaskets). and valves going bad is not a leading cause of DOOM. yes they can go bad, and yours may be on the way out, but without some tests, compression, leak down, etc, i would not assume the valves are going. unless it jumped time.

on the other hand, if you want a new car, then yes your valves are bad, and some other member wants to buy your car as is.

This. OP, care to tell us why you think the valves are going bad?

• 3 weeks later...
Ding Ding Ding! Plugs were fouled. Also uncovered my valves are going bad. Also my oil sending unit was leaking badly, so a new one was put in. I dumped some lucas oil treatment shit in it, and cleaned the injectors. Shes running good now. However knowing those valves are going bad, and the age of the ol' girl, she'll be getting put on craigslist soon/QUOTE]

Glad you found the problem

Archived