LegacyGT.com

Need some help with jack stand placement!

Well Im sure this is covered somewhere in another post but since Im not the king of the search Im going to ask the question, again.... So flame away if you must, but I am sure that one of you kind souls will actually give me the answer to my question.

I need to put the Legacy up on jack stands for a few hours to paint the calipers. Now I have looked in the manual and located the jack points, and I must say it seems that those points would cause damage to the side valance? (yay, nay?) In addition to possible not being to carry the full weight of the vehicle. Anyway can anyone give me direction on where to put the stands so that they will not damage anything? I typically would put them under the connection of the control arm to the uni-body if it were my personal car. But since this is brand spanking new, and my wifes :eek:, Im pretty concerned that I dont hurt anything.

Also are there any special things to take into consideration with lifting all 4 wheels of a AWD vehicle off the ground?

Thanks guys!

The jacking points are about about 7" or so from edge of fender. You'll see a notch there; shouldn't be a problem with the valance. I used those jacking points all the time :)
Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

Thanks...as long as I have been here I had yet to see these. I was using the front and rear jack points, but the side ones had me concerned when using anything other than the manufacturer's jack.

It is still ugly.

• 2 years later...
The jacking points are about about 7" or so from edge of fender. You'll see a notch there; shouldn't be a problem with the valance. I used those jacking points all the time :)

Those notches are really only good for the factory jack. All other jacks

sometimes mangle that section and make working with the factory jack

later on a hassle.

Double-check the stability of the ground where you place the jack stands then. And don't cheap out on the wheel stoppers. Too many people have passed away when the car has dropped on them.

And truck type jack stands may be an option for you in that case.

Another variation can be to get a thick piece of plywood as a substitute for a floor. But it should be really thick - and the gravel below it very flat.

453747.png

Well, not ideal...but according to the internet you should be OK if you put plywood under the stands (Nils beat me to it :spin:):

I found this (scroll down):

http://www.partsource.ca/doityourself/How-To-Jack-Safety-Tips.asp

and this:

http://ask.metafilter.com/72321/woking-on-a-car-on-a-gravel-driveway

If you can rig something up, maybe you could take a few pictures in case someone else needs to work on gravel. HTH

Archived