LegacyGT.com

Help clutch slipping after install

imblaze89

Hello everyone, Please help!! I just bought an exedy fjk1001 clutch kit for my 05 lgt from ebay, which claimed to be "new open box' and when i got it the disc had been installed backwards and crushed. So i got a refund from the seller and kept the kit so i then bought an ACT 3000502 street disc. Also i have a stock 06 wrx flywheel that has been resurfaced that i bought after the exedy kit because someone on the forum told me i couldnt use the exedy with the stock fw. Then someone else on here told me i could. Anyway I put it all together today and its slipping like crazy to the point i cant even drive it. Do i have the wrong combination of parts? The fjk1001 says its a 05 lgt/06wrx fitment. Im thinking I need a wrx pressure plate, just want to make sure i have the right part before I take the tranny out again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

You can't use any part from the 05/06 LGT if your using the 06+ wrx single mass flywheel. You need all single mass flywheel parts from 07+ lgt/06+ wrx.

Also technically your not supposed to resurface OEM Subaru flywheels. It can be done and works just fine, but if you resurface it incorrectly or too far it won't work.

There is really no reason it shouldnt work, I have the wrx flywheel, bolts, disc, and the pressure plate was from the fjk1001 kit which is an 06-14 wrx clutch, says 05 legacy will require wrx smfw

The flywheel still had small hotspots in it, the shop was afraid to take anymore off it, which i could see it could cause a problem after the disc wears a little but not really off the bat?

Im thinking either the fw or pp, I dont have the part number for the fw since its in the car, and the pp the fingers stuck out so much farther it seems that it would start to depress them as you put the trans back in, so that its constantly half way engaged(if that makes since), but on the other hand wouldnt something have to take up for the lost thickness in the fw?

I just want to make sure i have all the right parts before i go back in there, Im not pulling the trans a third time.

Sounds like the flywheel was not done right to me. Everything else being brand new and 06+ wrx parts.... Does the clutch grab at all or nothing? How does the pedal feel? Sure the clutch is adjusted correctly at the pedal?

Sounds like the flywheel was not done right to me. Everything else being brand new and 06+ wrx parts.... Does the clutch grab at all or nothing? How does the pedal feel? Sure the clutch is adjusted correctly at the pedal?

Pedal feels awsome goes into all gears perfectly. Adjusted the pedal several times from all the way out to all the way in and you really have to give it gas to get going, and slips as your accelerating. Then I tried the opposite, so the pedal sits closer to the floor, which should give it the most disengagement possible I think, and it's just grabbing slipping trying to take off like crow hopping kind of.

I'm thinking but a new fw and pp, cuz I know the disc is right. Or just go to napa and buy an oem that is guaranteed to fit, as I can't risk experimenting with clutches right now

Holy crap I fixed it! The fork was in a bind and stuck all the way back, I pryed up on it and it snapped into place. Works perfectly now. I really wish I had got that flywheel from u tho, I have a little bit of vibration but nothing major. Thanx alot tho.

Yep, you have to watch these forks, they can fall off the pivot ball when installing the tranny. I also learned that the hard way.

I couldn't even get mine to drive or engage or much of anything. Never got the car off the jacks.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
You can't use any part from the 05/06 LGT if your using the 06+ wrx single mass flywheel. You need all single mass flywheel parts from 07+ lgt/06+ wrx.

When you say, "you need all smfw parts from 07+ lgt..."....does this mean just an oem 07+ lgt clutch and pressure plate?

05 uses a dual mass flywheel. I have an 06 wrx smfw in it now. But I need a new clutch. My question is: can I put an 07 oem clutch in my 05 LGT to match up with the smfw currently in there.

You should be able to do that, it all comes down to the smfw parts / dmfw parts

05 uses a dual mass flywheel. I have an 06 wrx smfw in it now. But I need a new clutch. My question is: can I put an 07 oem clutch in my 05 LGT to match up with the smfw currently in there.

Contact Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com tell him what you have, he will get you the correct part the first time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived