LegacyGT.com

P0031 - Stupid sensor and other strange tails...New sensor, New tune, or both?

FocuS

Hey Everybody

Been a while since I posted but I've been crazy busy at work and the Subie has been running fine...and you know what they say about if it ain't broke!

Well, the running fine has ended and I figured it can't hurt to ask some questions to the gurus who troll these interwebz. Here is the story:

Very dead battery over the thanksgiving holiday at the hands of the wife. Tried to jump but no go. Pulled the battery and charged it overnight inside. Installed the next AM with no issues, starts fine but throws a code (p0031 - front O2 sensor heater low amperage read). Drive it home with no real difference in drivability or power.

I'm still running on Custom flash from TDC on my V1 AP, Cobb catless UP/DP, filter, prodrive ends, and mufflers.

my question is this, I replaced the sensor almost 12 months to the day for the same code. it ran fine after...

Should I replace it with the more expensive Bosch sensor or the Denso? is the seneor even needed ona a custom mapped ECU? Can I fake the ECU out with a resistor if thats the case?

My thought is to get an Infamous tune since I think it could help power/economy...should I do the new tune as well as a sensor?

DISCUSS....

Thanks in advance

Your custom tune is really only tweaked in the high load areas of the map. The low load areas are controlled by the ECU which needs the front O2 sensor.

E-tunes are nowhere near a perfect tune and I bet yours runs a bit hot and is cooking your sensors.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

my current tune is not an etune but rather a custom dyno tune. It looks like Denso is going to replace the sensor under warranty so that's good...

Now, the decision as to get a new dyno tune from a trusted local tuner or trust that Shamar at Infamous knows his 'ish...? The dyno time will likely run 2x that of the etune....

thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Good News!

Called up Amazon about their product being a knockoff sensor being sold under the Denso name. They refunded ALL my $ for both sensors and let me keep the new sensor.

I'll just see how long this one lasts and then use the returned $ for an actual Bosch sensor when it fails again...

• 2 months later...

Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction:

EFI Tuned in December 12'.

P0031 code a few weeks ago, car was jerking during acceleration at all speeds. Had front 02 sensor replaced, solved problem for a week and now error code is back. Car isn't jerking around during low RPMs anymore, but it still is during a harder acceleration, it has a pulsing/jerky feel.

All I did was clean MAF and Throttle body and I also checked intercooler hoses.

What should be my next step?

I would check for leaks and any damage to the MAF...

You might have EFI take a look at the tune again...perhaps send them a log...?

IDK, my problems never effected drivability like that other then not allowing the cruise to work. The '05 versus '08 are pretty different since the '08 is CANBUS...

GL

Archived