LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Payment sent Matt - thanks a ton for pursuing this and getting it to market. Know that it's been a huge undertaking amidst everything else that's been going on.

On a side note, wish I had caught up with the GS LWCP GB when you were offering it. Went ahead and ordered it with the GS TMIC. New year's Christmas present.

You know, I've been saying it a lot recently, but we really have you guys to thank for being such great supporters and for being so patient during the process. The truth is, we're all car guys too. We've all saved our money to buy products that have been disappointing. The idea that we can put our heads together and eliminate those problems for so many people is really a great motivator. The thought of you all unboxing your TMIC kits and installing them with a few buddies in the garage on a Saturday without having to throw wrenches and curse at your new parts is awesome.

Thank YOU!

Order placed, have a confirmation #

:):):)

Matt Beenen

Engineering

Thank you grimmspeed for such a well designed quality product. In favor of that I have decided to run a special to aid in the tuning side of the upgrade.

Cryotune Performance 10% OFF E-Tune for Grimmspeed TMIC groupbuy - details here - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cryotune-performance-10-off-e-tune-grimmspeed-tmic-groupbuy-details-234701.html?p=5008337#post5008337

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Though the new Forester, and WRX, along with the 5th Gen LGTs use the bottom-collector turbo, with a long turbo-to-TMIC hose, so there may be hope in the future for our 5th Gen brethren ;)
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Is it to late to get on the buy list? I am looking for aftermarket top mount intercooler and omg I freaked out when I saw that Grimspeed was making one for the Legacy GT! I was going to try to rig a Process West one, but not anymore!

GROUP BUY INFORMATION

Closes on: Friday, Jan. 2, 2015, 11:59PM

Payment deadline: Friday, Jan. 16, 2015, 11:59PM

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/grimmspeed-top-mount-intercooler-and-splitter-08-14-wrx-05-234673.html?p=5007513#post5007513

:)

Presume the card will be charged when the product ships correct?

My understanding is that you are making payment now to secure your spot in line (in regards to shipping priority). You can pay as late as January 16th, if you want.

My understanding is that you are making payment now to secure your spot in line (in regards to shipping priority). You can pay as late as January 16th, if you want.

This is correct. Part of the reason for this is below!

I saw somewhere else (don't remember might be here) they have 250 units available. So as soon as those are bought up you will have to wait for new ones to be made.

Yep! The great thing about having these lists before production is 100% complete is that we have time to 'fine tune' our production numbers between wrx, lgt, uncoated and coated. This way, we can maximize the use of the first 250 kits rather than end up with 100 extra WRX kits and a bunch of LGT guys wanting kits! Placing payment means we can adjust production on the fly with confidence.

Let us know if you have other questions!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

This TMIC doesn't fit the 2010+ Legacy. It's for the 08+ WRX and 05-09 Legacy.

The core itself looks like it'll fit well. The 4th and 5th gen share the same outlets anyhow since they have the same manifolds. No issues there. Just use a block off plate on the bpv hole. The Grimmspeed inlet design looks very similar to the 5th gen already too. At worst we would need a new charge pipe if the stock one couldnt reach (this part should be upgraded anyhow). Only a splitter and mounting brackets would be needed to be made specifically.

Another note, the 2010+ lgt tmic is the same as the 2015 WRX tmic. Would be Huge bonus for grimmspeed to open up into this market and us 5th gen lgt guys would just piggy back benifit from it.

In case anyone missed it they added the test results to the first group buy post -

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2686761

Performance:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/tmic_subaru_0814_gsvsoem_1.jpg

We setup this test to simulate a real world scenario that’s typically demanding of an intercooler. The test vehicle is a 2012 WRX with a GrimmSpeed downpipe, boost control solenoid, prototype intake and tuning. On a closed course, we accelerated in 3rd gear from 3000rpm to redline repeatedly, with 5-8sec between runs. Temperature was logged via k-type thermocouples between the turbo and the intercooler and between the intercooler and the throttle body on both units. Ambient temperature here in Minnesota for both tests was between 20 and 22 degrees F.

The results above speak for themselves, but here’s a breakdown. The phase differences between the runs are a result of how quickly we could safely get the car back down to speed for another run, but the important thing to notice is the magnitude of the temperature fluctuations. Predictably, both intercoolers were seeing similar Pre-IC temperatures on each run (180-190F peak), but while the GrimmSpeed Uncoated TMIC kept Post-IC temperatures between 30-40F the entire time, the OEM TMIC fluctuated between 35-75F. This is the kind of consistent cooling that you should expect from a high quality TMIC and is a function of the geometry and design of the bar and plate core. Our high density core has a massive heat transfer surface area but maintains a large enough cross-sectional flow area that there’s no added restriction.

I have a few questions about that testing.

The ambient temps were between 20-22 degrees and the GS TMIC is essentially a giant piece of aluminum.

How much of this efficiency in the test can be attributed to that giant cold piece of aluminum?

What happens after two minutes of testing? Or even, thirty minutes of more "typical" driving?

I'm no expert in thermal dynamics. But I'd assume the heat transfer will be the same, just at a higher temp.

Out in the shop at work they make these heat exchangers, same plate and bar type, for the Boeing 787 and other aircraft. I'm sure this is proven technology.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The results are very promising. The temperature of both runs (OEM and GS) pre IC were nearly identical, which is a good indication that the output is comparable. The test indicates that it has a much higher heat flux than the OEM intercooler. The test indicates that the airflow over the core is very good. The OEM IC brings the temperature down after peak boost, but nowhere near as well as the GS.

The test also showed that the intercooler was heat soaking post-run at a rate consistent with stock at the post-IC temp, but is in fact increasing pre-IC, likely due to the aluminum end tank. The fact that it is still decreasing the temp over stock is a sign that the design is working very well. It also appears the splitter design is working well.

I would be interested to see the test repeated the test on a 100 degree day. It would also be advantageous to have throttle position (so we know when the run starts) and pre/post IC pressure data for measuring the pressure drop as well.

Based on this data set it looks very promising.

I have a few questions about that testing.

The ambient temps were between 20-22 degrees and the GS TMIC is essentially a giant piece of aluminum.

How much of this efficiency in the test can be attributed to that giant cold piece of aluminum?

What happens after two minutes of testing? Or even, thirty minutes of more "typical" driving?

Heat transfer will be a function of the material, temperature difference (ambient vs. intercooler inlet to exit air), and mass flow (air movement). In this case, the outside temperature will greatly affect a run due to the greater air density (more mass) and lower temperature (higher temperature difference). As the ambient temperature increases, we may see very different results due to the GS unit having more mass. You are absolutely correct to question this.

Edited by compsurge