LegacyGT.com

Recommend rebuilder (or short block) for EJ22T?

narnett

My '93 Turbo Sport (Silver Anniversary model), after almost no problems for 200K+ miles (only other unplanned maintenance was to replaced the alternator and fuel pump), needs serious work. Although I do most everything else myself, I'm not an engine mechanic, so I took it to my shop, where they've searched and searched for a short block with no luck... so they opened it up and found it has a cracked rod. Block is good. My mechanic has sent it to a couple of engine rebuilders who decided they don't want to touch it.

I've looked through this forum and searched elsewhere for suggestions for a shop and what I see are performance shops... but I'm inclined to stick with a factory rebuild.

So... anybody suggestions? Or sources for a short block? I'm in Santa Clara.

And if anyone has had this done, I'd be curious about the cost. I see rebuilt EJ22Ts for close to $4K... which is still worthwhile, from what I've seen of the value of the handful of cars like mine.

Oh, and just for fun, I will admit there was one other big piece of work done on it. At about 70K miles, I got a bad spark plug, which disintegrated right after installation. Ended suing the parts distributor and manufacturer in small claims court before they agreed to pay to fix the mess it made of the head.

Thanks in advance for any help.

so for what you are looking to do is put it back to stock the problem at the end of the day stock parts are going to be hard to come by as its an older car now. your best bet is to send it to one of the performance shops and let them put either a stock style oe part back in or like zanzabar said get some forged parts as they will cost you about the same as oe subaru parts. most of the the shops in the area that are performance based also do regular maintenance as well so this is not out of the norm for them.

these are the shops i would recommend taking it to

LIC Motorsports

865 Sweetser Ave. Suite A

Novato, CA 94945

USA

Tel: (415) 892-7400

these guys are awesome Adam and Noah have been working on subarus for almost 10years now really detail minded

RBMS AUTOCARE

727 Industrial Pkwy Unit Y

Hayward, CA 94544

(510) 886-1521

mert has worked for a few different shops over the the years most notable in the subaru community was GST motorsports he recently started his own shop about a year ago

I definitely 2nd LIC. They're been servicing my LGT for the seven years I've owned it (now at 150K miles with only a few minor fixes). They live, eat, and breath Subarus, including servicing, modding, and racing them.

these are the shops i would recommend taking it to

LIC Motorsports

865 Sweetser Ave. Suite A

Novato, CA 94945

USA

Tel: (415) 892-7400

these guys are awesome Adam and Noah have been working on subarus for almost 10years now really detail minded

Archived