LegacyGT.com

do you guys use "I" mode in traffic?

I rarely use the "I" mode when driving, Im always in "S" and ocassionaly I use "S#" for the extra bit of power.

But lately I've tried switching to it during stand still traffic, I havent really noticed any changes in my fuel economy.

Does it help at all to use the "I" mode to save some gas?

I also do the same thing you do I mean its 90% of the time in Sport mode and every once and a while i put it into S# but the I mode really drops off the power/torque. I mean I dont know if it saves gas but its worth a try with the gas prices right now. Wish I could be better help but I dont know if it saves MPG's.
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

It depends on your driving style. "I" mode changes the throttle response and limits the boost making it easier to accelerate gradually, which uses less gas. I typically find I get about 1 mpg more over S and 2-3 over S#. I use "I" mode when warming the car up, and in traffic.

It depends on your driving style. "I" mode changes the throttle response and limits the boost making it easier to accelerate gradually, which uses less gas. I typically find I get about 1 mpg more over S and 2-3 over S#. I use "I" mode when warming the car up, and in traffic.

I never thought about using "I" when warming up the car, I'll have to try that out today.

Good thing winter is finally coming to an end on the east coast, warming up the car takes too damn long in the cold!

Whats I mode?

The only time my car has been in I mode was when people ask me about the I drive switch. Usually its in S mode or S# mode when I don't have a o2 code.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

I drive 95% of the time in I, and 5% in S#. It's kinda like a NOS button for me.

For what its worth I consistently see MPG well over the EPA average, but this isn't the first car for me to do that. At least according to the computer so I imagine that is a bit high.

I tried I mode for a couple weeks when I started my new commute of 80 miles round trip. My mileage increased, but that was expected anyway, because I am cruising a lot more. I hav been runing in S the last couple months and I don't notice much difference. Of course being in cruise most of the time I probably wouldn't.

IMO, staying in I when you WANT to accelerate causes you to hold down on the gas too long to get up to the speed you want, causing worse MPG's. If you stay in S a quick push on the gas will get you up and going.

If you are trying to watch your driving and slowly accelerate, not pass much etc.. then I can assist in that.

I run in I mode mostly during the weekly commutes and when I drive down to our boat about 65 miles.

On a long trip I have seen as high as 31.8 MPG on my Spec B while in I mode. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/RALLYT-WRX/cf950dd7.jpg

I-mode has no effect with cruise control enabled, so I rarely use it.

What speed do you cruise at to get 31.8MPG? I gotta slow down and use I-mode more. I find I spend most of my time in S#.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The manual suggests NOT using I-mode for cruising on the highway. It suggests S-mode for that.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I-mode has no effect with cruise control enabled, so I rarely use it.

What speed do you cruise at to get 31.8MPG? I gotta slow down and use I-mode more. I find I spend most of my time in S#.

That drive was between 55 and 65 MPH. With mixed types of roads. From Highway to back roads with rolling hills and a couple small towns.

I was shifting it at 2500 RPM's and rolling into the throttle. It's not how I normally drive, but it was fun trying to see how high I could get the MPG. I think having the 6 Speed helps too.

The manual suggests NOT using I-mode for cruising on the highway. It suggests S-mode for that.

Interesting. I never knew that. Lol

I will have to try the same drive again in S mode and see what mileage I get.

While it suggests that, do you really need it? To me, cruising on the highway is exactly a low power, higher efficiency scenario that the I mode was intended for. Other than maybe needing the extra umph for passing on merging on, it is fine.

I use the I mode for my 30 mile each way drive almost all the time. And it helps to keep me out of trouble. :spin:

I don't know.

I use cruise control on the highway. There is no way your right foot will be able to cruise as well as the ECU can. You can watch AVCS activity on a scanner when you manually cruise on the highway versus using cruise control. No way you could do that with your foot.

Never use I or S#.

I tried using I in traffic but found that the car wouldn't go like I wanted it to - which I guess is the point... but if I wanted to accelerate slowly, I could do that in S mode anyway, and haven't noticed a difference in mileage.

I liked the throttle response in S# but because it resets every time I turn off the car, I'm not used to the pedal/clutch dynamic and I drive shitty when traffic lights turn green, etc. After about three months the novelty wore off and have kept it in S for years.

whats with all this "never drive in S#" stuff? thats like like like taking a spark plug or 2 out of a V8....isnt it?

saying its too difficult to turn the knob 1 min after the engine starts in lame. you put yout belt on, use your blinker (you DO use your blinker right?).

just buy a N/A if its to difficult to turn the knob. better yet, just do the simpe thing and copy your S# settings to the S table in your map...simple.

im always in S#, specially in traffic cause if i need to move, merge get out of the way of some yutz, i want the car to do it without lag.

i read the manual ocver to cover (engineer in me :cool:) but i dont recall the I not while cruising thing. on a long trip i may use it and i do see a significant differance, increase in mileage. i can fluctuat from 15 to 27 mpg average.

fun topic

peace

SOA recommends not using Intelligent on HWY/FWY because if in an emergency you need to get around something and WOT it, 'I' wont give you that power.

Yes I have WOT the car in an emergency. It was raining and a opposite traffic car went off the road into the median and head on into me. A semi was next to me. I had to WOT to get in front of the semi and just passed that idiot. If I braked it would of been a sure accident

I use 'I' when I have people in my car for the smooth accel. I also do drive a lot in 'I' so I get the kick in the pants when I put it into Sport.

In traffic, my aggressive driving style I put it in S#, so I can have the shorter pedal movement to quickly accel around people

IMO the stock pedal travel sometimes feel like its too long (long pedal movement) S# fixes that feeling

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

whats with all this "never drive in S#" stuff? thats like like like taking a spark plug or 2 out of a V8....isnt it?

saying its too difficult to turn the knob 1 min after the engine starts in lame.[...]

im always in S#, specially in traffic cause if i need to move, merge get out of the way of some yutz, [...]peace

Boy Sean, did somebody hijack your LGT account? I know for a fact that you write much better than that. You may find it interesting to know that S# only gives you 98% throttle input when "floored," by which I mean from 60-100% throttle position since S# does away with the last half of your pedal travel. See http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rallitek-avo-dyno-daze-stock-spec-b-6speed-46379.html. ;)

I've been spending more time in I mode lately, not for fuel consumption reasons (as that's an absurd reason - control your foot), but it limits my ability to drive like an asshat on my 1.8mi commute to work. I've had significantly less oil consumption recently as I've been shifting at or before 3K and leaving the car in I mode unless I'm spending some time in the car.

I tried 2 tanks with I mode and then went to S. The I mode does make a difference when stuck in traffic, stop & go. In normal driving, I get at least 1 mpg better in S. Hiway speeds, even relatively short ones 4-5 miles, S gets 2-3 mpg better and much easier moving through traffic.

Now, the only time I use I mode is when sitting or barely moving.

Archived