LegacyGT.com

60k Mile Servicing

Have any of you guys had the 60k mile service done on your LGT?

I have an 05 Legacy GT and it's coming up on 60k (I've got 58.5k right now, but it needs an oil change, been 3100miles since the last one!). So I was thinking about taking it in and having them do the full 60k mile service on it, however, the stealership wants $500 to do it, I wonder if that is high, or if the service is worth it. What do you guys think?

Unfortunately, I'm not a DIYer type guy, I don't have the time or the tools to do it.

This would be a Manchester Subaru, in NH.

Thoughts? Input?

$500 doesnt sound that bad but what all will they be doing?

Your car didn't come with a manual, either? Wait! Perhaps I shouldn't be so harsh. I just noticed your '05 Legacy GT has a "5AET" transmission, so normal service intervals and procedures probably don't apply.

no my question was aimed at original poster as to what the dealership will be doing sometimes dealerships do other things in addition to the recommendation or they skip steps ...also I do have a manual thanks for your concern..maybe we should get you a dictionary so you dont read so deeply into others' posts before being so smart

I've done most of the things in the owner's manual myself (well, with the help of a friend how knows alot about cars). It isn't that hard at all. I think it calls for:

Oil change, coolant flush, diff fluid change, tranny fluid change, brake fluid flush, air filter change, tire rotation, and possible fuel filter change

I've been able/will be able to all of those except the fuel filter. However, I also have access to a lift. Try and find some vacation pics for your car, they might be helpful.

Do the tire rotation(walmart @ $4/tire), change your oil(walmart @$20) and air filter(DIY), and that number will quickly decrease to $250 or so..

They will flush the tranny, coolant, check your brakes, and do the TB cleaner..

Side note: They told me my plugs didn't need changed till 100k miles... IDK about that, I'll get them done at 75k miles.. I was also told I don't have a fuel filter to change, which sounds very odd..

So, nobody got a manual with their 2005 LGT. The replacement interval for spark plugs is 60,000 miles. Normally aspirated Legacys have spark plug replaced at 100,000 miles.

Fuel filter change intervals are not specified by SOA. This is a very good reason not to run your fuel tank dry. You can access the fuel filter by removing the rear seat and an access panel on top of the exposed fuel tank.

STG,

We all got manuals. I've even looked at mine and seen the service intervals. However, as stated in my original post, I'm not a DIY'er, I don't have the time or the tools to bother with it. So I have seen this recommended service and am wondering if it is worth my $500 or not, if I should do it, or ignore it and get specific things done from the dealership.

Being helpful on here with trump any sarcasm you try to offer.

Side note: They told me my plugs didn't need changed till 100k miles... IDK about that, I'll get them done at 75k miles.. I was also told I don't have a fuel filter to change, which sounds very odd..

You can search, but have read some that people are pulling out some pretty worn out plugs at far less than 100k. I'm changing mine every 50k. (Did a track weekend about a month ago so wanted to ensure everything was in top order.) Fairly cheap if you do it yourself, not very cheap if the dealer does it.

I did my 60k service about 1500 miles early, so I'm only at 60,1xx now. After this thread I'll likely do the plugs, and fuel filter asap (although I rarely go lower then 1/4 tank for that reason).

I'm also going to call the service manager at my dealership, because they recommended plugs at 100k, and they told me twice now I don't have a fuel filter. I'll be letting them know I'm finding a new dealership unless I get some serious discounts for putting my car at risk..

Struts are getting replaced after winter..

After re-reading my receipts I just discovered my dealership didn't flush/replace my coolant either..

So all in all, they didn't replace the fuel filter, spark plugs, cabin filter, and they didn't flush the coolant at my 60k mile service.

Great job..

I'll pay $500+ for the proper 60k mile maint. I don't need the busted knuckles for a week, and my time is limited.. I'll do the small stuff, just get the bigger jobs done..

What gets me is, I was told my car didn't have a fuel filter or cabin filter by a subaru service manager. I was told my car didn't need spark plugs till 100k miles, hell my coolant wasn't even flushed. I paid $250 for my 60k mile tune, and nothing that was required was done..

Archived