LegacyGT.com

Pics of your roll cage plz!

Long story short... I'm into double digits on people I know getting killed by drunk drivers as of yesterday. I nearly got taken out by one myself on the freeway a few days ago, and I just finished all 63 pages of this thread http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76608&highlight=roll+cage&page=63 .

I'm putting a roll cage in the wagon. Anyone have any pics of theirs? Anyone have any suggestions on cages?

I'm sure your going to find, most people will tell you not to do a roll gage for the street.

It's not that safe. You would not belive how far you body or head will move in an accident on impact.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

...unless you were a Snell approved helmet every time you drive the car.

and a 5 point harness!

and once you go that far you might as well get a hans device and nomex jumpsuit, plus one of those race seats that'll cradle your head in a rollover.... :spin:

I'm sure your going to find, most people will tell you not to do a roll gage for the street.

QUOTE]

...unless you were a Snell approved helmet every time you drive the car.

Even with that you need padding on the bars around your head. What is it, with in 6".

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Are you looking for something like this ? Some of us know what were talking about. For the street you don't need it.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/rota92007pk0.jpg

This was before we added more bars to make it a 25.5 chassis.

A FIA spec cage will not be practical in a daily driver. The weakest point on the car is the side. If you are to build a cage to racing specs, you will need some gymnastics skills getting in and out of the car. If you are thinking of putting a simple hoop in the car, that's not going to help.

If you want a good chance of survival in a head-on collission, buy an SUV weighing 3 tons and ranking well in crash tests. I promise the othe car will hurt more.

But a SUV really sucks in other types of accidents and handling.

453747.png

I'm thinking something like this...

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0611_72_nova_w2w/photo_13.html

Furthermore, if you pad the bars and keep them away from areas your head will strike it's not all bad for the street. Especially for a street/strip car. My last few cars ran 11's and had to be caged just to run them, which I really hated at the time. I have done the gymnastics to get into and out of the last few street strip rides I've had.

Ordinarily I would be opposed to them in a street car as well. However, if you can place the tubes in the right places you can minimize risk to passangers and increase the safety of the car.

For the record, nothing can save you from the one in a million crash, but mitigating the risk is what it's all about.

How do you even get up to a speed that is dangerous in Hawaii? I'd put in a roll cage for that purpose, rolling.... down a volcano. No really, it is all about perceived safety. If you feel more secure or safe in a car with a roll cage, put it in. I ride my motorcycles the same way i drive my race cars.... comfortable being uncomfortable.

There is one major issue you're not considering with a roll cage. This is assuming you are most worried about a head-on collision. The rapid deceleration from 60mph to 0mph in 4 feet is what kills you. If your truck weighs 6000lbs and the drunk guy's car weighs 4500lbs, that buys you extra feet in your deceleration, and perhaps less overall speed decrease. Also, if your vehicle is high enough relative to the other guy, you could actually travel right over his/her crumple zone, greatly reducing the forces that might be put on your vehicle.

I'm not saying this is generally a good strategy. All I'm saying is that if you want to survive an oncoming drunk guy swerving into your lane, and you rule out being able to get out of the way in time, then get the lifted F350. Or a semi truck. Good luck.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived