LegacyGT.com

Local Tune/shop Chicagoland, IL?

Well I've seen references to this topic in all kinds of places around the local 48... But haven't come across anything local to my area.

That said, anybody familiar with any local Subaru Tuner shops or tech in the Chicagoland area by chance?

I'll continue to look myself as well.

P&L Motorsports is the first one that comes to mind. They seem to be the most popular in the area with the Subaru crowd. AMS Performance is another that I know of. Both places have an AWD dyno and offer Subaru tuning. From what I've read, P&L used to have a great Subaru tuner, but he may have left to work somewhere else.

I've never done business with either of these places, just know of them.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Six star is the place. Cool guys that are there. Everyone has a subaru so they know them like the back of thier hand. I went to P&L a few times but it just felt closer to a stealership feel. I know they got some new staff and it's a little better but IMO Six Star is where it's at. Duey(do-wee) is a pretty cool guy and keeps you informed about everything going on.

Before going to P&L, I would recommend reading their vendor reviews over on NASIOC. Not saying to necessarily avoid, but know what you're getting into. Jr is probably the best tuner around for making numbers/complex setups, but I would say P&L is impressively terrible at taking care of customers even among aftermarket auto shops -- that's saying something.

Especially pay attention to the Legacy that they wrecked while tuning it, and then refused to handle the repairs and left the customer hanging on it.

Before going to P&L, I would recommend reading their vendor reviews over on NASIOC. Not saying to necessarily avoid, but know what you're getting into. Jr is probably the best tuner around for making numbers/complex setups, but I would say P&L is impressively terrible at taking care of customers even among aftermarket auto shops -- that's saying something.

Especially pay attention to the Legacy that they wrecked while tuning it, and then refused to handle the repairs and left the customer hanging on it.

I was one of the people that had a bad experince from P&L. Then went to six star wayy different. Always cool people there and they are not afraid to tell you upfront how things are going to be.

I went to APM because I literally could not keep in communication with 6 star. Dewey would respond maybe half the time, and just plain forget to get back to me when I asked questions. The prices he quoted me were very high as well (higher than APM and AMS both).

I'm a bit of an odd case though because I'm way over in Evanston, so I need to do a lot of communication up front before I commit to coordinating dropping the car off, since all of those shops are over an hour away from me.

I'm going to be in a similar situation here shortly as far as tuning goes. I read some good things about 6 Star Motorsports, and with them being local and able to dyne/road tune, that would be ideal. As long as the tune is nice, smooth, proper a/f ratios, etc....otherwise the infamous1 tune is really the other option, I see many good things about their tunes.

Archived