LegacyGT.com

Replacement Key

I have a 2006 Legacy and just had an aftermarket remote start put on, only problem is I only had 2 keys and they needed to use one for the install so I'm now left with only one. The dealer wants 100 for the key and 75 to install... That's insane for a damn key! Can I just buy an uncut one online and have the dealer do all the reprogramming/cutting for me? Thanks.

When you say that they needed to use one for the install what does that mean? Like one had to be sacrificed to the remote start gods in order for it to work? Obviously I'm unfamiliar with the process but this doesn't quite make sence.

Anyway on the replacement key go Fred Beans. Jeremy will hook you up. Very knowledgable!

Get an un-chipped blank from anywhere and get it cut. It will work without programming, because your other key is somewhere near the steering column to trick the ECU that a key is present, for the remote start. The chip from your other key will let the non-chipped key start the car.

This is the reason why I only like OEM remote starts, since they integrate with the ECU and keep security features intact.

I went to a local hardware store that had the key blank and the programmer. Cost me $65, and I use it as my everyday key, keeping my one factory key at home. I also have an unchipped key in my desk in case I lock my keys in the car at work. That way I can open the door. I did that once, and it took me 30 minutes in the rain to slimjim the door.

I believe there are locksmith's out there who can also program the key and can acquire it. Its not going to be $10 like the old days but may be better. I do recall spending $100 for a key reprogram and replacement key when my wife lost hers.

When you say that they needed to use one for the install what does that mean? Like one had to be sacrificed to the remote start gods in order for it to work? Obviously I'm unfamiliar with the process but this doesn't quite make sence.

Anyway on the replacement key go Fred Beans. Jeremy will hook you up. Very knowledgable!

Modern keys have a small chip in side them, like a serial number, and the car reads this serial number when starting the car. If it doesn't match the ones it already knows it stalls out the car.

Aftermarket remote starts work by 'sacrificing a key' and mounting it into the car so that it always reads that key's serial number. This is how they can start the car without the key.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
U can buy an uncut key online for cheaper, take it to ace hardware and get it cut for 5 bucks, all the dealership has to do is program the chip...there you go! For proof I had my key cut by ace hardware was a lil tricking but the did it...

To be clear, I can buy a key from ebay that has a 'transponder' (like this one ), get it cut at the hardware store, and then bring it to the dealer to program it? Are there some locksmiths that can program it to my specific car or is that something only a dealer can do?

The one linked above doesn't appear to have grooves cut into it at all like other blanks I have seen. Any idea if this will be an issue? Here is a picture:http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Uncut-Subaru-B9-Tribeca-Legacy-Outback-Impreza-Transponder-Blank-Ignition-Key-SD-/00/s/MTAxNVgxMDI0/$(KGrHqR,!loE6B0pHjyJBOi2Y9dh2!~~60_12.JPG

The ghetto way to install a remote start is to leave a key near enough to the immobilizer sensor to allow it to start. Most shops should be installing bypass units that block the signal from the key unless activated for the use of remote start. These do require a coded key to be used but it doesn't need to be cut - in fact it's better to leave it uncut in case a thief somehow gets to it.

If you try to start my car with an unchipped key (i have one just in case I need to get into my car, I never bothered to get it coded) it won't start. Remote start works perfect though. Regular chipped key (obviously) works perfect.

No, that's not the key you want. That would need to be laser cut for a 2011 or maybe 2010 too.

Try this for an 06...http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-FORESTER-LEGACY-OUTBACK-TRANSPONDER-KEY-/290462274214

Thanks. I picked one up.

Does anybody know if locksmiths can program these keys or if I need to go to a dealer?

Ace hardware in my neck of the woods (NWI) is now touting full programming services for auto keys of this type. Saw a sign out front and talked to the locksmith inside about getting a new key. Sounds legit.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ace+hardware+boston+area&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#q=ace+hardware+boston+area&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&sa=X&tbo=u&tbm=plcs&prmd=ivnsm&source=univ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=199420e7e7fc098b&biw=768&bih=946

Ace hardware in my neck of the woods (NWI) is now touting full programming services for auto keys of this type. Saw a sign out front and talked to the locksmith inside about getting a new key. Sounds legit.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ace+hardware+boston+area&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#q=ace+hardware+boston+area&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&sa=X&tbo=u&tbm=plcs&prmd=ivnsm&source=univ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=199420e7e7fc098b&biw=768&bih=946

Thanks for the heads up I'll call around!

Archived