LegacyGT.com

DIY: 15'+ DRL Disable

I was successfully disable mine today!

First time Subaru owner, and I hate the 3800k high beam DRL running on low voltage halogen color ruining the beauty new C LED DRL however it's not really bright and visible when the sun still out.

Tools:

your hand

time: 3minutes

It's located on the driver side right under the headlight.

15229049571_e9193b594c_z.jpg

14879571756_0ac709881a_c.jpg

Remove the HL main plug to gain access

14715969018_8a66769034_c.jpg

Carefully press and remove the plug.

14715967468_cc448949ce_c.jpg

You're done!

14879583756_e2541db096_c.jpg

12/28/2017 Update

This mod is a great combination of the 7440 signal to 7443 switchback LED I did back in Jan 2016 but never get time to write a DIY.

Here's the result

What I used in the youtube video;

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Brake-Signal-Light-Harness/dp/B00DRK5M0I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1471723509&sr=8-7&keywords=7443+adaptor

7443 Switchback LED recommend to get them from TRS, Diode Dynamic or VLEDS. I used ACME 7443 $25 ones in the video was brighter than the VLEDS I had.

You'll need to use a knife to trim the 7443 socket to fit in the 7440 socket, wasn't that hard.

Just tap one the amber wire to the signal, with a resistor.

DIY Thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/7440-7443-switchback-led-vs-v3-triton-switchbacks-drl-255402.html?t=255402&highlight=7443

Edited by im2c0ol
Add actual location picture.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice write up Mr. Cool!!! Glad to be able to help you guys out.

But won't that disconnect the high beam completely?

Nope, everything else is functional except the DRL high beam.

Just like the 5th Gen.

Edited by GTEASER

I guess the next step is the fog light mod, I saw the 5th gen, I just need to know which wire is the fog light to tab it to an ignition line trace with my multimeter instead of forget to turn it off leaving the car and come back with a dead battery.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

I also found a 2" cap on the bottom of the headlight give access to the C LED board made by Koito, you can unplug it if you don't like the C LED, but I might look deeper into it to see if it even possible to pull the board along with its LED to swap the led with a brighter one.

I guess the next step is the fog light mod, I saw the 5th gen, I just need to know which wire is the fog light to tab it to an ignition line trace with my multimeter instead of forget to turn it off leaving the car and come back with a dead battery.

Keep us posted please. There really isn't a good way of doing it on 5th gens. Mine are tabed into the parking lights directly. This is how many others have done it as well.

A couple of questions from a newbie...

Wouldn't you want to wrap the connector that you disconnected in electrical tape or something to keep water out?

There is a specific fuse labeled for the DRLs, couldn't you just pull that instead, or is it used for other things?

A couple of questions from a newbie...

Wouldn't you want to wrap the connector that you disconnected in electrical tape or something to keep water out?

There is a specific fuse labeled for the DRLs, couldn't you just pull that instead, or is it used for other things?

Yes, its a good idea to wrap the connector and the socket on the DRL resistor with tape to reduce corrosion, especially in areas that see harsher winter weather.

Since the DRLs are part of the headlamp circuit (hi-beams) the only fuse or relay to pull would render your hi-beams inoperable.

GTTEASER- Thanks! I was looking at the owner's manual and according to that there is a specific fuse labeled just for DRL... It's in the fuse box in the passenger cabin (#23) and then the fuse box in the engine compartment has 2 fuses, one for each high beam (and 2 fuses for the low beams)...

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, while disabling the DRL, the C LED doesn't seem to be notice enough to give you the confident that you're being notice on the street to avoid people merging into you etc and causes accident. Hopefully someone find the fog light install manual to see how we can jump the wire to have the fog light on as a substitute for DRL, and probably replace the entire fog light assembly with Morimoto XB LED Fog.

Reminder VLEDS doing 20% labor sale this weekend, don't miss it!

Going to need the electrical wiring diagrams...

Yep. Probably even further complicated by SRF if EyeSight is present.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Awesome, while disabling the DRL, the C LED doesn't seem to be notice enough to give you the confident that you're being notice on the street to avoid people merging into you etc and causes accident. Hopefully someone find the fog light install manual to see how we can jump the wire to have the fog light on as a substitute for DRL, and probably replace the entire fog light assembly with Morimoto XB LED Fog.

Reminder VLEDS doing 20% labor sale this weekend, don't miss it!

The LED's seem to stand out more on my CGM, as apposed to your pearl white. Just an FYI.

GTTEASER- Thanks! I was looking at the owner's manual and according to that there is a specific fuse labeled just for DRL... It's in the fuse box in the passenger cabin (#23) and then the fuse box in the engine compartment has 2 fuses, one for each high beam (and 2 fuses for the low beams)...

:)

I had to just try this to satisfy myself...pulled #23 inside and DRLs still on!

I always thought you break the circuit and no power but there must be more to this puzzle.