LegacyGT.com

Kinugawa Turbo Review

I just wanted to start a thread to bring light to Kinugawa and my eventual review of the turbo. Now to preface, I am only doing this to spread awareness to users by saying there are reliable options out there for us. By posting this, I mean no offense or disrespect to BNR, as I never see anything but glowing reviews for him and his service :) . I am not trying to step on anyone's toes by providing this information.

To start, here is some more info on Kinugawa/Kamak:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1824302

Long story short, there is much misinformation out there about this company. Kamak is THE manufacturer of OEM MHI and IHI turbos, and Kinugawa is a sub-brand of them. Here you can view some of the stress tests that they do for their turbos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerByKAMAK/videos

Kinugawa has an eBay store, but IS NOT an "eBay turbo". Those are two completely different designations.

My buddy is a distributor for HSWorks, who carries the Kamak and Kinugawa line of turbos. Many people in the local area are starting to run them, and loving the results, hence why I decided to go Kinugawa. (I know that this info might throw up a red flag for some, but I promise that I am trying to be as objective as possible). For my turbo, I decided to go with the billet TD05 18G 8cm^2 with the inconel "STS" turbine (T518Z style).

I will post some pictures that I took of the turbo, in a moment. I did not take any of the hardware included, but it comes with a new oil feed line, DP and two UP gaskets, a spacer for those still running TGVs, DP studs, and some other odds and ends. My other friend, who is a Master Tech at Toyota and works on a lot of our Subarus, has told me he is very impressed with the quality of the hardware, and the turbos overall. He believes that the hardware is on par with OEM-spec parts.

Some eagle-eyed viewers might notice the '070' marking on the turbine housing, indicating 7cm^2. There was a clerical error, and it is currently being handled as we speak. I will have the 8cm^2 housing soon.

Onto the pics!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7293/8739153705_9a9183455e_b.jpg

If you look closely on the blade reflection, you can see the machining grooves on the backside of the blades :cool:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7289/8739154959_94cdeb522e_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7286/8740274654_4374aac143_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7292/8739158005_1bcc3c3d3f_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7281/8740277850_1bfc6a5a1e_b.jpg

Here is the "STS" turbine. It uses 9 blades instead of the conventional 12 or 13 (I forget which) that standard ones have. Inconel is lighter and stronger than the cast, so in theory, it should allow there to be less lag and less top-end power loss.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7294/8739160993_618f271dbe_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7294/8739162419_dd55789540_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7281/8739164033_0663406b0c_b.jpg

I am having some work done mid-June, including this install, so I will post my impressions once the car is tuned.

Edited by Adam393

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember researching these pretty heavily a while back. People are quick to squawk "ebay turbo" and "why take the chance". In reality they are one of the premier turbo manufacturers of Japan.

Though Adam can you give me a source that says that Kamak manufactures for IHI? Or is that just what your friend told you?

I always thought those were cheap eBay turbos but I guess I was wrong I see a lot of good reviews

While the brand may not have much of a foothold in the US, many overseas tuners love them and have great things to say about Kamak/Kinugawa

I remember researching these pretty heavily a while back. People are quick to squawk "ebay turbo" and "why take the chance". In reality they are one of the premier turbo manufacturers of Japan.

Though Adam can you give me a source that says that Kamak manufactures for IHI? Or is that just what your friend told you?

They are actually produced in Taiwan, but the headquarters may be Japan, I'm not certain. I can only pass along what my friend and I have been told from them. They claim they are OEM suppliers for a lot of companies, as well as in their catalogues. I wouldn't doubt it, since Kamak seems to be a large company. I am trying to track down something more concreate, but I'm not sure that that is something that is outside of proprietary information between companies. In retrospect, I should have posted something for that, as I am simply taking their word for it....

My friend who distributes them bought a Tomei turbo a few years ago, and said the Kinugawas that people have received have identical packaging and hardware. He noted that the branding seems to be the only thing different. He has a suspicion that his Tomei is rebranded from this company, which would is something that only makes me feel more confident about it's quality.

Regardless, everything seems to be of exceptional quality, and it only took 7 days from order to arrive at my place, all the way from Taiwan!

Looks like a nice piece. Keep us updated.

Will do! Needless to say, I cannot wait to get this installed!

Edited by Adam393

Yeah no doubt that Kamak supplies for a lot of companies. Only reason I asked about Kamak/IHI, as big a turbo manufacturer as Kamak is, IHI is a massive heavy industry company. I have to imagine that IHI has the equipment necessary to manufacture their own.

Mind letting us know how much it cost you? I'm gonna guess in the high 700 low 800 ballpark.

Yeah no doubt that Kamak supplies for a lot of companies. Only reason I asked about Kamak/IHI, as big a turbo manufacturer as Kamak is, IHI is a massive heavy industry company. I have to imagine that IHI has the equipment necessary to manufacture their own.

Mind letting us know how much it cost you? I'm gonna guess in the high 700 low 800 ballpark.

One would think. But like I said, I will try to find info to substantiate that claim. I am hoping to receiving something from them that will go into further detail...

As for the options, I want to say billet and STS were each $150 options for a normal purchaser. As for the final price though, I apologize, I cannot disclose that. I have some personal dealings with my friend outside of this purchase which influenced the price, and I was asked not to speak of it. Thanks for understanding :cool:

im actually getting one of these turbos soon myself, im going for their td05 20g billet twinscroll turbo, should be a nice upgrade from my vf36 and hopefully not too laggy.

That sounds like it would be a ton of fun! I'd miss the Subaru rumble too much, myself. There are two guys in our local community who are wanting to get the twin scroll later this year, as well. Please feel free to post your thoughts in this thread when you receive it!

ive always been twinscroll so im used to it! there is a very subtle rumble, but nothing compared to you single scroll guys!

I can get a the one mentioned for $965 aud delivered which is similar to usd. I might try negotiate that price in return for a good review for them!

ive always been twinscroll so im used to it! there is a very subtle rumble, but nothing compared to you single scroll guys!

I can get a the one mentioned for $965 aud delivered which is similar to usd. I might try negotiate that price in return for a good review for them!

Ah, touche, didn't see that you don't have a US LGT. Certainly can't hurt to ask for a discount in return for a review, but at least make it an honest one :)

As for the options, I want to say billet and STS were each $150 options for a normal purchaser. As for the final price though, I apologize, I cannot disclose that. I have some personal dealings with my friend outside of this purchase which influenced the price, and I was asked not to speak of it. Thanks for understanding :cool:

Ah OK I should have figured.

One thing I think is definitely cool about Kinugawa is the ability to order your turbo with customized wheels and actuators. Gives you lots of options for your individual budget and goals.

You can certainly add upgrades to the turbo, which is awesome, but you are not given the ability on their store front. I guess you'd have to contact someone there, but I have read many things where people said their communication is quite lacking. I hope that this is not the case anymore, since aside from a distributer, I don't know how to directly contact someone outside of their web page or eBay storefront... Edited by Adam393

There is very limited options you can do to their turbos through their website. They have at least added the ability for exhaust housing swaps and some turbos have billet wheel options now too. I've tried calling their number with no luck. They do respond to emails occasionally but it's a very long process. If they can get some more US distributors, they'd be a much strong US company.

I have been running the TD05-20G for the last year and a half. I had the car dyno'ed last year and made 290WHP. Since they I have fine tuned my tune and probably picked up another 10WHP. Stage 2 STI's make around 265WHP on this dyno.

img027.thumb.jpg.9953058c7fe610e3644e75969743b564.jpg

Friend of a friend has their 20g with both wheel upgrades with a td05 7cm housing and the powerband is beautiful. Made 380/390 on a mustang dyno. Hits 350tq at 3300 and doesn't drop below till around 5500.

Nice!

Looks a tiny bit laggy for my tastes, though. Is it standard cast wheels, or did you get a billet upgrade?

I had the standard wheel as the billet wasn't available back in 2011. As for spool it I went with the TD05 so it would spool a bit faster. On the road in 3rd gear I make 20 PSI by 3.5K.

Capture.JPG.f5247a90a6b29d08efc366032530a6bc.JPG

I have been running the TD05-20G for the last year and a half. I had the car dyno'ed last year and made 290WHP. Since they I have fine tuned my tune and probably picked up another 10WHP. Stage 2 STI's make around 265WHP on this dyno.

Do you have the bigger fuel pump and injectors to support the 20g ? I know mustangs read low but 290whp ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So Blongo804 has sold me. Im going to order a TD05H 18G 8cm Billet. Adam....is your buddy going to give me a good price?

Dunno. That's between him and the buyer, as I have no bearing on anything. I can only assure you that my situation was quite unique, and cannot be replicated by anyone else :cool: