LegacyGT.com

Muscles needed to shift!

Hey there you guys, wanna say glad to have found and now to be a part of this site. I just picked up a 1995 subaru legacy with a 5speed. I bought it for a great price because it had a bad clutch(split in 2 pieces) and the car was halfway torn apart. So get it to my house, throw it in the shop, and tear on into it. Put a clutch in it, slap it back together, start it up, and find that 4th gear is gone. So I went to pick and pull and found a 5 speed from a 96, through it in there, and started it up.

So that's the run down. I got in the car to find that the shifter would not freaking move, a quick snap of the wrist I popped it out of 5th gear to find that it was really hard to take it in and out of gear. It feels like when you going 30mph and you try to put it in first. It did not do this in the 96 I pulled it out of. It does this when the car is running or not, or when the clutch is pushed down. All the gears are there and does not make any odd noises. There is one thing though, the wheel borrow I put it in leg had broke while I was looking at the sweet Baja and it hit pavement.

So I was wondering what you guys think? Is there anyway I could mess up putting the linkage together? Is the linkage slightly different from 95-96 legacy? Or do you think I bent the shifting rod, I didn't see any marks on it but is very possible it hit. What do you think? I'm going to look pretty funny in a couple weeks:) my right arm is going to be buff.

Thank you!

So you dropped the trans after you pulled it but before you installed it? I think you answered your own question. Did the shift rod coming out of the trans looked bent? You probably dislodged or broke something for the shift forks. GL

Yeah I pulled it at pick and pull,put it in the wheel borrow, the leg broke while I was look at a car and it hit the ground. I was just curious what someone who has experience with these cars would think, because I don't. It did not appear to be bent, but I'm guessing that's what happens because is greased the up all the linkage and disassembled and assembled it a couple of times to see if I messed it up(it's so simple it's hard to mess up). I'm guessing I'm just going to need to work it back into place, dig a new groove in you know, but that's my lazy mans fix.

Can I remove the shift shaft? Well without pulling any gears/front differential out with it? Would I be able to remove the back plate and slap a new used one on? Thank you for your time

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah I put napa brand 75-90 gear oil in it, I even tried to put a quart of of 10-30 in it to see if it would make a difference. It has gotten a lot better now that I have driven it a bit, but still not perfect.

Archived