LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With e85 and a 20g, you're going to have a hard time not over boosting. Especially if you're not running any wgdc and still hitting 19psi. I take it you are still on the stock BCS? I didn't see a 3 port in your build list. I would remove the restrictor pill until you get a 3 port. Should prevent you from over boosting. Edited by McDowell Performance Tuning

Thanks Logan. I'll try that as well. You're right - I don't currently have an EBCS. I know that Cobb and Grimmspeed both make a version for the Mazdaspeed3 that have the same connector. Does anyone know if either unit will actually mount in the same location as the stock BCS or do they both require some remote mounting and plumbing?

Thanks! It's up on the dyno now so if it doesn't fall off or blow up just give up, should have something to post in a couple hours. It is a Dynojet so I anticipate a flood of re-grounding comments to bring me back down to earth if the numbers look good :)

As a sidenote, I will try to see if they have any stock pulls for a WRX or STi as a reference point. They certainly won't have any 5th gens!

Last pull here was 339/384. He is going to tweak the peak torque down just a bit, but this should be pretty close to the final numbers. I will post the dyno sheet a little later. I believe this was at 23.5 PSI peak boost tapering down to 18 but the plot only had AFR, no boost.

Should be a fun way to get groceries!

Unfortunately, the only other run I have on this dyno was a 7 PSI pull where I put down 207/221. This was from early June and when we tried to do the tune my WG duty solenoid died and we could only make wastegate spring pressure. I had to pull the car down and order a solenoid. There were a few other setbacks over the last couple months with the dyno losing their computer and being down a couple weeks so that was the time when I decided to get the larger turbo.

I do have some data logs from my Stage 2 McDowell tune and I plan to make a couple test runs on the same road with this tune and load them in Virtual Dyno. I realize it isn't without sources of error, but it would give a way to see some relative gains from a tuned stage 2 on 93 octane to the 20G on e85.

On a fun sidenote, I happened to be driving home from the dyno tonight and lined up next to a C5 Corvette. We had a nice roll from 0 - 70 or so where he spent a good deal of time in my rearview trying to figure out what was going on....that was a happy moment! Edited by jackal8788

Just an observation - this turbo seems to hit its peak boost around 3400 RPMs. My stock VF54 was peaking around 2800. This setup doesn't provide quite as much of an initial 'punch' as stock, but it just continues to pull very hard well beyond the point where my stock turbo ran out of breath.

Just an observation - this turbo seems to hit its peak boost around 3400 RPMs. My stock VF54 was peaking around 2800. This setup doesn't provide quite as much of an initial 'punch' as stock, but it just continues to pull very hard well beyond the point where my stock turbo ran out of breath.

Sounds about right. Takes more time to spool up the larger turbine/compressor.

• 4 weeks later...