LegacyGT.com

Rattle in the Dash

jc51373

My car has about 600 mile on it, and I have noticed a weird rattle or vibration noise that appears to come from the guages (tach, speedo etc.) as I accelerate-most prominent in second and third gears. Annoying as hell, unless I turn up the radio.

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or similar. And what Subaru has done about it?

Thanks everyone!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to put my descriptive writing skills to work here...

It sounds like a Vibration as I accelerate something loose, with a plasticy-like tone to it, kind of like it may be the gears of the Speedo or something. But it may be just something loose in this general area on the drivers side of the dash.

I was hoping this might be something alot of people have experienced and it had a quick fix. Probably not, I will probably be chasing this forever.

you will be chasing it for some time, and if you ever do find it and fix it -- another rattle will appear.

I've got two rattles in my dash. One I know is from my XM radio install - my FM modulator wires came loose and up against something making noise.

another one on the far left side of the dash up under the windsheild.

i've gotten used to them now and they dont bother me.

Fuel lines... There is a TSB on it... Either bring it into the dealer and have them fix it or fix it yourself. They are vibrating where the fuel lines exit behind the shock tower on the drivers side. Just go into the engine compartment and slap a few zip ties around the metal fuel lines to stop them from vibrating.

For MONTHS I had been chasing a rattle in my Mum's A4 S-Line, everytime I drove it, I was moving this and holding that, pulling this out etc etc. Then something STrAngE happened. I was driving along and put my hand right on the noise creator, a bit of plastic had come loose right below where you slot in the key.... Couldnt believe it, but all has now been resolved.

Ada///M.

PS Thats why the GT has a good sound system, just crank it and u wont hear it.

Best of luck finding it as I said before.

Fuel lines... There is a TSB on it... Either bring it into the dealer and have them fix it or fix it yourself. They are vibrating where the fuel lines exit behind the shock tower on the drivers side. Just go into the engine compartment and slap a few zip ties around the metal fuel lines to stop them from vibrating.
What's the TSB number on this so I can present it next time I'm in. I'm fairly certain I have that, its a weird soft rattle that I can't locate, kinda on the other side of the firewall.

The only dash rattle I really have is the left vent (right to the left of the gauges and steering wheel) which seems to be a bit loose and rattles form time to time. I think I could probably cure it myself with some felt tape on the main part of the dash or the vent but I haven't pulled the vent off yet.

exactly. i just split some coolany hose and slipped it over them then zip tied it in place. problem fixed.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

If you tap the top of the dash with your fist (light pound) you can hear the rattle itself, something is loose right under the top of the dash. The fuel lines are more towards the bottom of the car.

I have this exact rattle, been to the dealer 2 times, its a lot quieter now, but still there

If you tap the top of the dash with your fist (light pound) you can hear the rattle itself, something is loose right under the top of the dash.

Yeup, I wedged a piece of plastic between the dash and glass. I need to make it tighter, I still get a rattle once in a while.

Got the

fuel line buzz (lower left of steering column) comes and goes dep. on r.p.m.'s

dash knock (metallic banging, near firewall behind gauge cluster)comes and goes

headliner knock (yup, my favorite - under the driver's sunshade)comes and goes

Quite a chorus when all three chime in. Knew I shoulda botta Hyundai...

(jk)

Just give it time...your car will literally be "alive" with noises.

This car has more rattles than any I've owned. It's a Subaru thing. I laugh when Subaru talks about being a "premium" brand. They've got a long way to go in the interior cabin quietness/longevity area compared to other brands.

Just give it time...your car will literally be "alive" with noises.

This car has more rattles than any I've owned. It's a Subaru thing. I laugh when Subaru talks about being a "premium" brand. They've got a long way to go in the interior cabin quietness/longevity area compared to other brands.

+1

Subaru may have some advantages over the likes of Audi and BMW, but refinement ain't one of them.

• 3 weeks later...
Ugh, I am getting the rattle on the driver's side dash. One subtle squeek by the vent and today, on some rough pavement, a nasty plastic on plastic sound by the windshied. My camaros didn't have as many rattles as a string of the japanese cars (Matrix, RAV4, now the Legacy) in the family -- all in the dash too.:icon_surp Funny though, my bro's WRX seems to be rattle free...

another one on the far left side of the dash up under the windsheild.

i've gotten used to them now and they dont bother me.

When you find the cause let me know. I will pay you for it.

meanwhile teach me how to get used and ignore THAT rattle.

Archived