LegacyGT.com

K&N Typhoon... constant loud sucking at 2-4k?

This thing came on my car when I bought it. It annoys the piss out of me. Anywhere between 2k and 4k (goes away at high rpm) is a constant loud sucking sound from the intake that is very audible in the cabin even on the highway. Is this thing supposed to do this? I dont have anything to compare it too. I know these are supposed make the bpv intake "whoosh", and even that is slightly annoying.

My plans for the car is to do a wrx style turbo and intercooler. Should I hang onto this intake for that or will say a vf39 get enough airflow through a stock box? I have no clue if the car is tuned for the intake or not, but frankly its just annoying to hear the sound of a vacuum all the time. I'm also hearing what appears to be wastegate flutter or bpv flutter (does it even do that?) in the same rpm range (2-4k).

Ordering a vag-com cable so I can see whats up with the car. Like I said I dont know if this loud sucking is normal, but its annoying. The fact that it only does it in a certain rpm range makes me think something is wrong somewhere.

Thoughts on this?

video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaznhoTSIGg]2005 Subaru Legacy GT with K&N Typhoon Intake - YouTube[/ame]

its probably the sound of turbo and bov recirculating.

the flutter is the boost control solonoid doing its job.

does the sound change when you go full throttle ?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

What im trying to say is it sounds like the bpv is constantly blowing off at this rpm range. The sound of the bpv recirc and this "sucking" sound are practically the same.....

edit: As if the bpv is leaking back into the intake when its not supposed to.

edit2: took a vid. uploading now.

bpv is suppose to vent into intake

theres not much for it go to wrong during install, theres no way to accidently make a vacuum leak during the install.

dont remember how my intake sounded above 4k, but the intake sound sounds normal, and hearing the bpv is normal

the intake is now metal vs plastic, and oem intake has a silencer so you will not hear all these sounds. the metal intake and open filter will make all these suction noises more noticeable

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

if you dont like the noise then trade your intake for a stock one on this forum and make some money. instead of going for a turbo upgrade (which your 39 will require supporting mods) why not go stage 2 for less than $200 and see if that is good enough

What I dont understand is that it simply just goes away after 4k rpm. I am not talking about the engine growl, or the blowoff, but the similar blow off noise in and around 2500 to 3500rpm while on the throttle. I have listened to other videos to see if I'm just bat shit crazy and nobody else's does this.

Its annoying enough to want to swap a stock one on. At 70mph on cruise all I hear is "whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" for miles and miles.

edit: nevermind, turns out I'm probably just bat shit crazy :p

if you dont like the noise then trade your intake for a stock one on this forum and make some money. instead of going for a turbo upgrade (which your 39 will require supporting mods) why not go stage 2 for less than $200 and see if that is good enough

I might just do that. Will the 39 require an intake or can I get away with a higher flow drop in? *goes and searches for vf39 conversions*

My 40 has about 50k on it according to service records. The car has 111k on it now.

vf39 turbo will require a fmic. and i suppose oem intake will work fine since sti uses oem intake w/out any problems. oem intake can handle upto 300whp

i understand your worry about 50k on turbo (wear)

either remove the intake inlet to the turbo or downpipe and check for shaft play (research). if there is no shaft play then I would go stage 2. if there is shaft play then I would look into BNR 16g or 18g turbos. 16g can get away w/out any supporting mods. 18g will require intercooler, fuel pump, injectors. BNR turbos are built a lot stronger and should last longer then any oem turbos

since you have a automatic, invest into ClimberD's VB Mod (on this forum) a upgraded turbo will kill the transmission. stage 2 will wear it out faster

not looking to go much higher than 300whp... dont want to blow up the tranny. The hexmods F1 Valvebody is actually first on my list. I think I am going to swap the intake out and put the money from it to better use. I'd also like to look into some supporting mods before any serious turbo mods.

mill are you like 70 years old ?

^:lol: I'm 20 and I took my intake off cause the noise was annoying for a 3hr drive 2x a week

I am also 20. And want to take it off for similar reasons. :lol:

....that and I can sell it and put the money to better use.

stock air box you hear very little .. did you guys remove the plastic chamber thats under your air box ? its a silencer thing when you take that off makes the car sound grunty :p

but no turbo sounds tho :S

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived