LegacyGT.com

Hawk Break pads.

I have hit about 53,000 miles and it's time for my first break job. I was looking on Subimods.com and found the Hawk pads and DBA street series rotors for about $285. I'm only doing the front right now, I'll do the rear in a month or so. Which Hawk's should I get though? The Ceramic or the HPS carbon ones? They are both the same price. I don't plan on running it on a track, just street racing and daily driving. My boys at the local dealer said it was gonna cost me $250 for OEM pads and turning the rotors plus labor. They would only charge me about $80 to install upgrades. Any thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have DBA4000's paired with Hawk HPS front and rear. They work well.

Less expensive rotors but also good for street are Centric.

I'm going to try ceramic pads next time around. Everyone here has a favorite rotor/pad combination. Ask, and you'll get many great recommendations.

i currently have hawk hps all around. initially, they felt like a good improvement over stock. after time (7k miles), it feels that the bite is lost. others on the forum love them, some dont. the legacy brakes are no the best either, so maybe its that.

I've had DBA 4000, Centric premiums, HPS and HP + pads. Love the DBA rotors but you can't turn/cut them. Centrics are cheaper and many say they last and work 90% of DBA. Maybe a better bang for the buck. HPS decent pads for all around , better than stock. HP+ even better as a pad . Improves initial bite but dusts more and can be noisy when cold. Its all give and take . Prioritize. The Ceramic pads dust way less at the expense of stopping power (not by much)

I have hit about 53,000 miles and it's time for my first break job. I was looking on Subimods.com and found the Hawk pads and DBA street series rotors for about $285. I'm only doing the front right now, I'll do the rear in a month or so. Which Hawk's should I get though? The Ceramic or the HPS carbon ones? They are both the same price. I don't plan on running it on a track, just street racing and daily driving. My boys at the local dealer said it was gonna cost me $250 for OEM pads and turning the rotors plus labor. They would only charge me about $80 to install upgrades. Any thoughts?

Well since you're just street racing I'd say skip the breaks all together and just get a cold air intake and some stickers.

Dude you be street racing, yo? Like this one time some ricer dude in a camaro was revving at me at a light. So I did like I always do and put that pig in S# mode and heard that hogzaust growl. He backed off after that, but I smoked him anyway.

I've street raced since the 60's. So, I guess that makes me an old idiot. I gave it up a few years ago (well there is the occasional playing around) because you can't fart without somebody calling 911 on a cell phone, even if your not racing. I had one guy call me in because I wouldn't let him go around a curve with his truck halfway in my lane, flipped me off and called 911. We were on a 4 lane going the same direction, side by side.

Back to brakes, I've run about every brand of pad out there at one time or another and Hawk's are pretty good. Be careful though, some are competition pads and must be hot before they work well, not what you want on the street. BTW, when the package says "organic" that means asbestos. Nothing wrong with asbestos, but organic vegetable fiber doesn't work on brakes. Some of the ceramics and carbon fiber pads are death on rotors. I've killed new rotors with one set of pads before.

I've street raced since the 60's. So, I guess that makes me an old idiot.

At least you know what you are. No one called OP an idiot, they just gave suggestions how to go faster for more street credit. Getting rid of the heavy metal rotors is a good start. Replace metal with lightweight plastic ones off a fisher price car.

When we raced years ago, we went out away from traffic, usually late at night in an industrial area.

Stupid street racing is dangerous and done in traffic. There's not one of you that hasn't raced someone from a stoplight. You say you haven't, I'll call you a liar.

Call me an idiot? I never got a ticket and never had a wreck. My fastest cars ran 10's.

Back in the 60-70's we used to have cops come out a watch us race, some even joined in when they were off duty. We were having a good time and not bothering anyone.

Times have changed and people get offended if you look like you're having fun then call 911. I stopped going out a few years ago, it's not the same, too many idiots that do things that are destructive to private property or just plain dangerous, trying to impress someone. Back in the day, we policed ourselves. If someone started doing something stupid, they would be called out and told to stop or leave. If they got mouthy, they would be facing a crowd.

So I guess I have to clarify myself for everyone who see,s to think I'm an IDIOT!! I guess when I said STREET RACING, I wasn't clear. All I meant is that I run it a lil faster on the street than you legally should. I will guess that everyone here has done that. And yeah, maybe a little stoplight to stoplight if I feel it. I am 37 yrs old with 3 kids. I am not a young punk out there looking to be cool and show off to his teenage girlfriend.

I've wanted a Subaru ever since I had my Eagle Talon TSI back in 99. Now that I've had mine for about a year I want to improve the performance of it. I'm guessing everyone has modded theirs so they can run them on a track right? Doubtful!!! We all want our cars to perform to their highest potential even if it is just on the street. If not why aren't we all buying small little economy cars that barely do 65 on the highway.

Sure you could've had a thousand successful races on the street with no tickets, just hurt feelings. But, it only takes one slip up where an innocent bystander is killed. I've been to illegal organized racing events in a business park. I was in high school then and yes an idiot. When the cops come to break up the ricers, we scurried away at 100+ to the nearest gas station, only to return to racing a half hour later. I saw a few cars bite it and wrap around a telephone pole. A few fatalities later, I learned to take it to the track.

Archived