LegacyGT.com

how many MPG do you get for your 2nd gen subby?

im just curious on what mpg your car gets. my sub is a 96 legacy L AWD wagon.

i have a spectre air filter with a cherry bomb turbo, and i currently get between 22 mpg and 27 mpg.

i drive to work and its 13 miles there. i usually put on like 50 miles a day.

this is the first subaru i've ever had. and i love it. its so much cheaper to fill up than my 99 chevy astro with got 19mp- 22mpg.

Well on my 2.2 95 legacy i can get 27 on the highway in the summer, ussualy around town and to work everyday i get about 25 mpg, in the winter much less 24 at best in -10, -30 C

now i just started driving my rebuilt 2.5 97 outback and waiting to see what kind of mileage but it will probibly be more like 24>

Our cars aren't amazingly fuel efficient, but worth it for the awd

im just curious on what mpg your car gets. my sub is a 96 legacy L AWD wagon.

i have a spectre air filter with a cherry bomb turbo, and i currently get between 22 mpg and 27 mpg.

which cherry bomb did you get? im thinking of getting the pro, but i cant find much on how they sound. got any video of how yours sounds, both idling and driving?

and my wagon gets anywhere between 21 and 30 mpg, depending on how im driving that week and where i am. on long highway trips for work i can get it to 28 or so. if the speed limit is 65 it will get up to 30. in town with the air on, closer to 21-23. in town with the air on and lead footed, closer to 19 or so...

in the city i can get like 24 and highway 31. but since i live has both a mix of city and highway i can get an average of 27.

i know these cars aren't the most fuel efficient but its a hell of lot cheaper to fill up than my 99 chevy astro van, it would take me about $105 to up the astro. with the van i would spend like $500/month just on fuel. i cant wait til it snows, im gonna so much fun.

• 9 months later...
Update: its been a long ass time since I posted anything. My subaru has 168k miles, I changed the muffler to a cherry bomb extreme with a resonated tip, new plugs, wires, ignition coil and a vacuum gauge. My green vagon gets 26-28.

Recently I was getting 30.5MPG on 87 octane. That was with a good mix of cruising, stop & go, and romping on it. During that time though I was only running on three cylinders due to an electrical hiccup for an injector.

Fixed the injector problem and I went down to 26.7MPG on 87. This was with a good bit more spirited driving though thanks to having four cylinders worth of horsepower again.

Isn't it amazing how these motors run even on a dead cylinder? I drove about 20 miles after a plugs shot out of my #3 cylinder, I still had enough power to go into passing gear on the freeway. Didn't sound much different either kind of like a lobed cam.

Isn't it amazing how these motors run even on a dead cylinder? I drove about 20 miles after a plugs shot out of my #3 cylinder, I still had enough power to go into passing gear on the freeway. Didn't sound much different either kind of like a lobed cam.

Yeah on three cylinders it was about as fast as my cousin's 1st gen wagon (both 5 speed). Though my car weighs considerably less than his wagon on any given day.

Update: its been a long ass time since I posted anything. My subaru has 168k miles, I changed the muffler to a cherry bomb extreme with a resonated tip, new plugs, wires, ignition coil and a vacuum gauge. My green vagon gets 26-28.

i want to listen to a clip of that...interesting setup

My vagon loves shell and bp gas. Anything else like mobile, thorntons, citgo, and marathon, the car runs rough.

I live in Illinois about 30 away from Wisconsin boarder, gas is $3.90.

I just bought a 96 legacy outback with the 2.5 with 145k miles for $1400. I noticed it uses premium fuel, but why? Would mid-grade work?

No. It will run like garbage. I had a 96 LGT with that motor. Run the premium. It's not going to break the bank, and it won't break your motor.

I think its because your engine is higher compression and needs high octane to prevent knocking.

Compression is actually a little lower than 97-99 25D motors. But, that's not the reason. It's the design of the cylinder head and piston. It is completely different.

I just bought a 96 legacy outback with the 2.5 with 145k miles for $1400. I noticed it uses premium fuel, but why? Would mid-grade work?

Welcome Fellow Illinois fellow! I bet that car is fun :) As well, I have a 1997 GT 2.5L and I am right around 22.5 MPG. Glad to see yours went up

i put 87 in my 96GT for the first month without thinking of it. until the pinging started. now im putting 91 in it, seems to like it a lot. my wagon with the 2.2 still gets 87. still sucks putting 3.72 a gal into any vehicle. i was already complaining about 3.45 lol. in reality tho, its not that much more and worth it. i bought the car, i cant complain about what it needs to run correctly.

Archived