LegacyGT.com

Modded OEM intake?

scottj

Shamar says he thinks my OEM intake is maxing out with my AVO380 and RacerX FMIC. I'm also running TGV deletes, Greddy UP, Crucial shorty DP, and injectors. I want to keep the OEM intake because it's quiet. Has anyone messed around with improving the flow through the OEM intake?

I spent a couple hours looking at at it tonight. The three main things I noticed were that the airflow path to the OEM CAI is pretty small, the OEM CAI chokes down excessively over the radiator support, and there is no velocity stack on the MAF tube inside the air filter box.

An easy test to see how large the effect of improving the flow path and choked CAI would be to remove the CAI and passenger headlamp and see if that had any effect. But what would I be looking for in the logs see what affect the change made?

You're probably out of MAF resolution, and the only to fix for that is a bigger sampling tube. I suppose you could do that with a stock box but you'd have to hack the stock tube out and glue in a larger one. I don't think anyone has done it.

Just pulling off the resonator on the underside of the box will give you another 3 inch inlet.

I've got an open intake on a large turbo and I've never once thought to myself "Man, I wish that turbo would shut up. I can't hear the radio!" It just isn't loud enough to be a bother in normal driving, and at WOT I don't care what it sounds like.

For turbo noise and rock music the same saying saying applies, if it's too loud, you're too old. My goal is a quick and quite ride, total stealth.

So the problem isn't the flow into the box but through the MAF?

Prova Air Intake guide. Kinda like ram air.

It guides air to where you snorkel is and maximizing airflow. I've caught alot of bugs in there so i can assume that cooler air is flowing to the intake when im at speed.

Search around for a pic of it installed. I'd link you but I can't open pix at work to link you right now.

Archived