LegacyGT.com

Gas Light... How far?

Well being a poor student I have come to a point that I have ride the gas light until I get paid again.

How far have you gone on your gas light?

So far I've gone 20 miles and I'm glad that I don't need to go anywhere else until payday.

I've run mine very, very low on gas - like half a gallon remaining. My best estimate is that true zero on the gas gauge is when the needle touches the peg. I've run mine below the lowest tick mark and into the E. The gas light is very sporadic in mine. Sometimes it comes on with an eighth of a tank left, sometimes it comes on much later.

YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY

Easy way to find out. carry a tank of gas with you when you're at the "E" or gas light. Reset trip meter and drive until you run out of gas, mark mileage.

***Disclaimer***:

Running your car out of gas may cause your fuel filter to plug, or eat your pump.

My gas light has only worked a few times in the 6 years I have had the car, but when it did I had over 2 gallons of gas left. Car makers try to have the light come on when you have around 50 miles before you run out. It wouldn't be much help if the light came on one minute before you ran out of gas!

My gas light has only worked a few times in the 6 years I have had the car, but when it did I had over 2 gallons of gas left. Car makers try to have the light come on when you have around 50 miles before you run out. It wouldn't be much help if the light came on one minute before you ran out of gas!

This is a pretty close estimate, depending on what kind of driving you do.

I use a digital trip meter that runs through my OBD II and it has a "miles to zero" gauge which comes in handy. Unfortunately, these tanks don't hold a round number of gallons (gauge asks for tank size) so the reading isn't always accurate.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Easy way to find out. carry a tank of gas with you when you're at the "E" or gas light. Reset trip meter and drive until you run out of gas, mark mileage.

***Disclaimer***:

Running your car out of gas may cause your fuel filter to plug, or eat your pump.

every time i buy a vehicle this is what i do. i also change the filter after for the same reason, lol. for both my subarus the light came on at about 12.5 gal used, and i got about 90ish miles before it sputtered out. when i filled up, it took 15.7ish gallons, so it was really empty. now, a year later, my GT will not turn the light on until somewhere between 12.5 and 14.5 gallons used, which is very annoying. i have my daughter start looking for a gas station at about 280 miles now, and it usually takes about 13 gallons to fill back up. my wagon never gets topped off when my son drives it, so i dont know how it is doing with the gas mileage.

a rough estimate ,

light on at 2 gal left.

but how many miles depends on your MPG.

i live on a hill,

and mine will sputter as i go around turns on the hill

just before it runs dry.

usually i turn around and drive to get gas.

last time i coasted almost all the way to the gas station.

i only had to walk 1/4 mile,

and i passed a kmart on the way

so i only paid 5$ for the can instead of the $20 at the station.

now a have 4 gas cans.

and none are in a car.

Wait, our cars have gaslights???

My thoughts exactly. The last 3 legacy's I've owned I rarely saw a gas light. When I hit E it takes me like 11.5 to fill up. That means there's nearly 4.5 gallons left, Thats a quarter tank! So I've let it run quite below E, but usually get too worried and put some gas in before I see an actual light.

the gauges in these cars are notorius for reading lower than actual.

as proven by the above statement

''When I hit E it takes me like 11.5 to fill up. That means there's nearly 4.5 gallons left,''.

the tanks do hold 15.9 gals, 60 liters.

and the lights come on with about 2 gals + .

the light comes on, should come on,

when the thermistor is no longer covered by gas.

it senses the temp difference and turns on the light.

they usually work pretty well,

but i did have one car where it wou8ld come on for a bit and then go off.

i bought anorther gas can.

Archived