LegacyGT.com

Well its almost that time....

With over 28K miles on the ole girl, I'm fast approaching the 30K maintenance period. Now there's just a couple of problems- I assume that I'll be the first one in the area to have this done, so I get to be the guinea pig! I don't fancy the maintence chimp training on my car. I don't have a great deal of confidence in either local dealership. When I went in a few days ago, the service mgr couldn't even tell me what was involved (or exactly how much $$). He gave me a WRX 30K maint. sheet and said it would be almost the same.

Anyone have any advice or strategy? Anyone reached this milestone yet?

Rimfaxe

I guess you can call up SoA as a last resort. When did you buy yours? I thought I was putting miles on mine... I'm approaching 17k and I acquired it around the beginning of September.

Wow, I got mine in the beginning of Sept too but, I only have 5300 miles on it. Man I got to start driving more.

That's a damn good sugar cookie.

When I went in a few days ago, the service mgr couldn't even tell me what was involved (or exactly how much $$). He gave me a WRX 30K maint. sheet and said it would be almost the same.

Wow, that's bad. A more professional service manager would have hidden his incompetance.

:)

I'd never tell a dealership "Give me the 30k service." I'd list exactly the jobs I wanted done and nothing more. There's not that much that needs doing really, and I"m sure it's all listed in the owner's manual anyway.

Lots of that stuff is optional too. Don't get it done just because it's listed; get it done if it's needed.

According to MySubaru.com, here is the recommended 30month/30K service:

Inspect - Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]; Inspect - Camshaft drive belt; Replace - Engine oil; Replace - Engine oil filter; Perform - Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections; Recommended Performance - Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections; Replace - Air cleaner element; Replace - Spark plugs; Inspect - Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil); Inspect - Automatic transmission fluid; Replace - Brake fluid; Inspect - Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions; Inspect - Brake linings and drums; Perform - Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system; Inspect - Clutch operation; Inspect - Steering and suspension

I thought the maintenance booklet I got with my LGT said spark plugs get replaced at 60k? I believe the 2.5i's get spark plugs every 30k, but they don't use the iridium plugs either IIRC.

With over 28K miles on the ole girl, I'm fast approaching the 30K maintenance period. Now there's just a couple of problems- I assume that I'll be the first one in the area to have this done, so I get to be the guinea pig!

How paranoid can you get?

You're afraid they don't know how to check your brake lines and your fluid levels and such???? Its not like you need an engine and transmission and suspension rebuild.

You're weird.

Bemani,

I purchased the car on May 21, 2005. I've had some interesting results at several different area dealerships....

Dealer #1 Airbag recall. The two hour job took the dealer 3.5 days and three trips (over 60 miles each way). I found some airbag retaining bolts in the passenger floor when the job was finished. They broke the rear pillar covers and then order the wrong part to replace them. They had greasy fingerprints smeared in several locations of my headliner.

Dealer number two: First oil change (had dealer coupon). Drove the car through the parking lot and over a speedbump. I heard a clackity sound, stopped and found that my oil cap was wedged against an egnine hose.

Dealer number 3 Nicked the sidewall of an RE92. Ordered replacement Toyos online. Had oil change coupon and checked price for mount and balance- it was an ok price, so I had them change the tires out. They removed the stick-on wheel weights with a screw driver, gouging all four rims (4-6 one-inch gouges on each tire). They balanced the tires with the hammer on weights, not the same as the original.

Given that I would probably be the first 30K maintenance and the stellar track record of three different local dealership gives me cause to pause. Yeah, kinda weird like SchlepRock.

Suburu USA kicked in the extended warranty for free because of the Air Bag debacle. I had the choice between that and an LL Bean Gift Cert. They did their best to handle the situation well, but the whole thing fell apart at the dealership. Seems to be pretty typical from my experience. I wish there was a Subaru specialty shop nearby in the Richmond VA area. It would be great to work with an enthusiast instead of a bumbling dealership with some mechanic hack who doesn't care about his work.

Bemani,

I purchased the car on May 21, 2005. I've had some interesting results at several different area dealerships....

I assume you meant 2004? Reading about your experiences with lousy service at the dealerships causes me some concern. I just got my LGT back from servicing (oil change at 3k), and checked the oil last night, looks like it's about 1/2 quart too full! The oil level is WELL above the notch in the side of the dipstick, and that notch (according to the manual, the oil may be up to the notch if the oil is hot, as the hot oil may have expanded) is above the F mark on the dipstick. So I may do my own oil changes on this car after all. I was going to just have the dealer do them, but now I'm having second thoughts.

I assume you meant 2004? Reading about your experiences with lousy service at the dealerships causes me some concern. I just got my LGT back from servicing (oil change at 3k), and checked the oil last night, looks like it's about 1/2 quart too full! The oil level is WELL above the notch in the side of the dipstick, and that notch (according to the manual, the oil may be up to the notch if the oil is hot, as the hot oil may have expanded) is above the F mark on the dipstick. So I may do my own oil changes on this car after all. I was going to just have the dealer do them, but now I'm having second thoughts.

How much you wanna bet the monkey just dumped a full 5 quarts in? I wager one million dollars.

I don't trust dealers to do any service. I only take a car in for warranty repair (since I have no other option). Anything else (routine maint, etc), I either do myself or take to an independant shop.

Archived