LegacyGT.com

Testing coils?

The coils on the 2.5GT can they be tested? I had one die on the highway before that leaves me with 3 questionable coil packs I looked in the fsm and I did not see anything and searching did not really provide hits to testing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure you can readily test them - had the same issue with our Odyssey - the "procedure" is basically shuffle the coils and see if the issue follows the suspect coil, and if it does, replace it. The Subaru FSMs seem to be the same as the Honda one - check everything leading up to the coil for issues with connections, and if that all checks out, replace the coil.

There must be some Electrical Engineer on here somewhere...

*sigh*

Function generator, drive mosfet, 12v supply, a scope with a high voltage test probe, and an adjustable spark gap if you want to go down that route. Then you'd set the function generator to match the dwell in the OEM ingestion dwell table at the RPM range you want to simulate. Verify the length of spark (time) with the scope, and the voltage by messing with the gap.

You probably dont want to do that though if you don't have everything on hand. Hell I probably wouldn't want to take the time to do it.

If you're trying to see if the coil is dead dead, pull off the boot and stick a wire close to the output spring. Hook up power and ground like normal, and quickly(!) flick the trigger wire across the battery and see if it sparks.

Or just replace all four with aftermarket coils. A lot of people on nasioc have been having good luck with these: https://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=350&pid=2512

*sigh*

Function generator, drive mosfet, 12v supply, a scope with a high voltage test probe, and an adjustable spark gap if you want to go down that route. Then you'd set the function generator to match the dwell in the OEM ingestion dwell table at the RPM range you want to simulate. Verify the length of spark (time) with the scope, and the voltage by messing with the gap.

You probably dont want to do that though if you don't have everything on hand. Hell I probably wouldn't want to take the time to do it.

If you're trying to see if the coil is dead dead, pull off the boot and stick a wire close to the output spring. Hook up power and ground like normal, and quickly(!) flick the trigger wire across the battery and see if it sparks.

Or just replace all four with aftermarket coils. A lot of people on nasioc have been having good luck with these: https://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=350&pid=2512

See, that didn't take long to find one, (Electrical Eng). Thanks for explaining the test set up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There must be some Electrical Engineer on here somewhere...

*sigh*

That would be the engineer's method right there ;). The wire that you stick close to the output spring should be going to ground. Alternatively, you could pull a spark plug, connect it to the coil, and then just ground the plug ground electrode against the block (just like you'd regularly test for spark).

That would be the engineer's method right there ;). The wire that you stick close to the output spring should be going to ground. Alternatively, you could pull a spark plug, connect it to the coil, and then just ground the plug ground electrode against the block (just like you'd regularly test for spark).

Oh yea, like you do with the lawn mower...;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived