LegacyGT.com

Here's a weird one...

The other day my battery died in the parking lot and I got a boost and drove it home. As I was driving the ABS light came on and my headlights shut off (but the ambers stayed on). I knew the battery was on its way out so I bought a replacement.

I replaced the battery today and started the car up no problem, but my headlights are still not working (but the ambers and fogs work) and the ABS light is still on. Any idea whats going on here?

• Mega Users

Sounds like the alternator is giving out. If it is not able to support the headlights, then it is probably failing. That would also explain why the battery died.

Step 1 would be having an autozone test your battery. It's free.

Or use a Multimeter on the battery to check your alternator output. With the car running, under 13v no good, 13v-13.4v poor, 13.5v-14v normal, 14v-15v strong. When I do this test, I do it twice, once with no load. If it passes, 13.5v-15v. Another, fully loaded. Even at idle, fully loaded. The alternator should read normal 13.5v-14v. If it pass test 1, but not test 2. Your alternator is getting weak & need to be replace.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

It could be a bad connection somewhere. Check all your grounds under the hood. And yes, get your alt tested.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Any possibility that the bulbs are both out? Did you attempt to jump start the car with the lights turned on... just hypothesizing here??
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I popped out the bulbs again and under closer inspection, it was the bulbs that blew. What I don't understand is how did both of the blow at the same time? One was actually 2 months old. Shouldn't the fuse have blown first? Any idea why this would happen?

The bulbs were GE Nighthawk Platinum H7 55W. Replaced them with the same type.

http://i53.tinypic.com/330cjfr.jpghttp://i53.tinypic.com/vfxket.jpg

voltage spike .. a fuse will not protect against a voltage spike , they only protect the feed system and wires in cases of over current.

voltage spike can come from altenator voltage regulator or geting boosted by a tow truck that used to give 24 volts !

also a bad bump can make the bulbs blow too ...

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

It's integral to the alternator.

Specialized shops may have it, but I would change the whole alternator. This because when it starts to act up it also needs bearing service/replacement and all diodes has to be checked.

453747.png

Is the ABS light still on?

My car had the ABS light turn on when my alternator went out, no blown headlight bulbs although it makes since why it happened from others replies.

If it were me I would get that Alternator checked out ASAP or you may be in for another new battery!

Archived