LegacyGT.com

Suspension knocking noise

abakja1

I got a new noise coming from the driver front side that sounds like a knocking noise when driving that comes and goes. It kinda sounds like if you left a socket somewhere in the engine compartment, but I know its nothing mechanical (hopefully), but something to do with my coilovers. Its coming from the driver front side only,.and occurs when rolling and not like if I take turns or anything (not cv joint, endlinks, swaybar),..

I put in GP Moto coilovers and think that it could be the cartridge or topnut being tight enough perhaps? I already made sure the coilsprings were secure and not moving with lockjam tightened too. The sound comes and goes, less now that I made sure of the springs being in place. Is this the tribulations of having coilovers or something else like perhaps the cartridge itself? I know I tried to tighten the topnut with the car on the ground, but the nut turned and also the cartridge.

Also on Thursday, I made adjustments to the dampner knob the day I noticed the knocking on Saturday and I think the driver front adjustment knob is broken now as it keeps turning forever it seems left and right now. Is there internal parts inside the cartridge that could be making this noise as that is what it seems to be coming from and I made sure everything is tightened down (plastic panels, front undercarriage shroud, not the cv-joints etc).

Help me diagnose,..thanks!

Hmm I had this problem when I first installed the coils as well. It went away when I took an impact wrench to the top bolt and gave it a few hits. I belive it is a 22mm socket. It dosent tighten by hand tools because the shaft spins with the nut.

As for the adjustment knob. I dont know. I never experienced the problem. If you have time I could suggest replacing the front drivers side cartrage with the replacement I gave you. See if that solves the problem. But try the impact wrench first.

Its not too hard and can be done without removing the bottom bracket and screwing with the alignment.

Just take some measurements so you know where to reset the collars.

I hope you get it sorted out.

Yes, exactly!

The shaft does spin with the nut,..I will try this when I get home.

Also, Im going to wait to replace the cartridge when I get another one and 6k spring if GP Moto ever calls me back with availability and prices. I haven't heard from him since last Monday and hope he contacts me back soon.

Thank Robert!

If you cant get a hold of them you can order springs from anybody just as long as they are the same length and Diameter. I seem to recall swift offering thier own line or linear and progressive replacement c/o springs in various sizes.

EDIT:

Ask and you shall recieve: http://www.swiftsprings.com/products-coilover_springs.html

or... http://www.upgrademotoring.com/suspension/swift_coil.htm

or... http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EM&Product_Code=SWIFT-SPRINGS

or... any local swift retailer can get them for you.

Try giving GP moto another ring.

Well the impact gun didnt work,..shaft is still rotating with the nut being tightened down with the gun,...I might have to hold the shaft in place with maybe a rubber strap (the Craftsman rubber strap with plastic handle) to hold it in place while I hit the top nut or just man-handle the cartridge.

If things don't tighten down, I will have to dissasemble the coilover and replace the cartridge to see if that helps any,..All I know is that the right side is just as loose but doesnt make any noise which makes me believe I must've broke something internally while adjusting the knob....

DAMN the rattle,..This is stressing me out,..Friday after work I put my car on jacks and got slowed down needing some PB Blast on the lower strut bolts. Then I noticed the brake line retaining clip loose and the brake line connection possibly being the "rattling culprit". So I pulled it off and clipped it back on more securely and it got much tighter with less of a rattle so I figure maybe that was it. 1 day of driving and noticed it last night and about 10 minutes ago that the sound is back.

Its a rattling noise I cant figure out as Im checking plastic panels for any missing grommets>>none>> so Im at a loss. Could be the spring settling in the coilover, but I tightened the collars down for more springload but noise was still there, but the ride was more bouncier. So I readjusted the collars loose enough to keep the spring snug fit.

I can't believe this is noise the coilovers can cause unless there is something rattling within the cartridge of the coilover. Again, I broke the adjustment knob so that it turns infinitely left or right without getting tighter. I may just pull off the front coilovers and be done with it...I dont see any marring the endlinks would cause if its hitting the A-arm, and is this rattling noise something dried out eurothane SB bushings would cause? They are dried out, but really? Rattling noise?

And I still havent gotten a reply back from GP Moto 2 mondays ago about getting me replacement rear bushings. This is becoming a nightmare.

:( i never had any rattling from the c/o's... The clunk I had but It went away with the impact wrench.

I would try calling GP moto again and try to talk to a person. I belive they were bought out by bushmaster inc. The makers of Skyjacker brand off road lifts but the company still exists as a branch company.

Good luck.

I hope that this is just the coils settling into position,..just no other explanation and its not only irritating, but embarrassing. Its noticeable. Do all coilover owners have increased VNs??

Also, no way to contact GP Moto,..there is no one to answer the phone, VOX is full, I faxed them twice now and even emailed twice. What else can I do but fly there myself. This must be "bachi" (bad luck) for me for too many mods,.. If it doesnt go away by Friday or get any answers from GP Moto, Im putting my stock front struts back on,..

K-Sport read,..

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20572&page=2

I went thru the Ginsu GB on the K-Sport coilovers and another link and noticed that Scans007 and another member had "clunking" issues,..I wonder it that sound is the same problem Im facing?

Also, how can I lock down the top nut with the car on the ground if the shaft keeps spinning as I torque it down? 50lbs doesnt seem much, but there is just me working on the car. Impact gun wont turn the nut any more so Im going to manually use my torque wrench tomorrow night,..

Also, how can I lock down the top nut with the car on the ground if the shaft keeps spinning as I torque it down? 50lbs doesnt seem much, but there is just me working on the car. Impact gun wont turn the nut any more so Im going to manually use my torque wrench tomorrow night,..

Which nut are you talking about? As of top nut, are you refering it to 3 nuts that are holding the strut body on to the frame?

interesting. i have some Moto CO to install as well. i also tried calling today and no answer. sent an email but guess i shouldn't expect much?? :( so did they go out of business or what?? can we contact a dealer that may be able to get replacement parts?
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Hey,

I did some searching for you. You can bypass GP moto and contact the REAL manufacturer of the coilover system. GPM's are rebadged HSD's

http://www.hsdcoilovers.com/

Ill try to find another US supplier for you it appears that they are aussie based.

EDIT: Seattle WA Based distributor... http://www.kitoautosport.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14

Good luck guys I hope this helps.

Thanks Robert

Saw the link to new distributors for HSD,..sent an email,..Maybe should just email HSD Australia for new rear bushings since I already waited 2 weeks,..

Get a generic urethane /rubber shock boot from summit racing. They are cheaper.

aww. brilliance! i wonder if FATS will have something similar...

I finally got a reply from HSD in Australia,..GP Moto hasnt contacted me back at all.. Ive given up on them and went directly to the HSD source. But HSD does t sell the press in bushings seperate, I have to buy the entire bottom piece for the rear shock at $45 each,..Shipping is another $105 for shipping,..thats $205 for near rear bushings. This isnt turning out well for me,..

Also, I took off the front Coilovers and put my oem struts with HTechs back on,...no more noise, but gone is the performance.

We definitely need more product support for adjustable replacement front struts and rear shocks. Coilovers is too noisy for everyday use I think,....

Problem solved,

Took off the front coilover till I figure things out,..definitely lighter in weight and great performance,..just couldnt handle the annoying noise and that the springs are too stiff..Good for auto X, not for a daily driver for me though,..

well i am hoping to get hold of someone. i guess i'll know if there is a knocking noise or not later tonight. we'll be installing the coilovers this eve. or i should say, i will be helping finish it up

we installed the GP Moto Coilovers last night. luckily they don't appear to be in need of adjustment. they came off another LGT who autox'd her LGT as well and hadn't been touched since. was a real PITA to get them all on, but wow! suspension is much tighter now, a little rougher, but maybe i prefer that ride vs the crappy bouncy one i had. it rides very similar to the STI now, so I think that will really help come Sunday's events.

I'm trying to keep an ear out for the "clunking" noises you guys are talking about, but so far I've not heard it. however, i do hear an odd clicking when I have to turn the wheel sharp. it's not that noticeable, but i was straining to listen for clunks or odd noises.

• 1 month later...
ok, so i have major clunking and squeaking. but it seems it's really bad when it's dry out. when we got back from the trip, hubby power washed the engine bay and for about a day and half before it dried out, i had NO CLUNKING!! anyone know where the clunking may be coming from so i can try and get rid of it?? it's rather annoying, but liveable. however, if i can isolate it, i would like to try.

• 1 month later...

Archived