LegacyGT.com

throwout bearing noise

IGW

I installed a new single mass flywheel and clutch along with a TSk3 throwout bearing setup about 16k miles ago along with the new motor. Starting to get a squeal when the clutch is pushed in, I can even hear a creaking when I engage the clutch when the car isn't running.

Are these setup know for noise? I guess my only option is to remove the trans and see whats goin on? any insight would be helpful

2005 LGT

How long have you had the squeal? I also had this intermittently after similar replacements but it went away on it's own.

The creaking is normal I believe but there are many more knowledgeable folks than I. Just offering my experience.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

no it dosent chirp....it makes a squeaking noise like a door opening when you push in the clutch. more of a creaking. then when the car is running and you release the clutch there is a slight noise.

no noise when foot is not on the clutch

Check the alignment of the clutch piston that pushes on the TOB fork, if it's off it may make the creeking sound. Also, was the pivot ball on the fork lubed well?
My wife's balls are delicious.

Should be using plain grease, like wheel bearing grease. Not sure how long that anit-seize would last and could dry out fast. Same goes for the TOB sleeve/snot, bearing grease.
My wife's balls are delicious.

well I pulled the inner cooler and tried putting grease on the slave cyl and end of clutch fork...still squeaks.....removed the cylinder and dust boot and got some grease around the clutch fork ball and its still squeaks. I can feel a lil slop up and down in the throwout bearing and the noise is def coming from inside

You say the noise happens when the engine is off and you push in the pedal.

That's normal for these cars, my wagon has done it on/off over the years.

I also use wheel bearing grease for the fork/pivot ball, clutch splines and pilot bushing, and tranny snout where the TOB slides.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

so I taped a small paint brush on the end of a long piece of 1/4" all thread and managed to get some grease on the pivot ball and down around the throw out bearing and after a day of driving it is back to normal. There was a lot of dust/lint collected in there and it prob dried up all the old grease/lubrication. Thanks guys

Don't want to threadjack but I've been getting a squealing when the car is cold. When I go to engage the clutch depending where it is the squealing is louder. Transmission was replace by previous owner by Subaru with new TOB at 94k and it's now at 110k. TOB issue?

I am thinking I may be in the same boat, I noticed it on my way home from the dyno, clutch holds fine, no slip, nothing like that, but I noticed a new "chirp" and also a bit of a pretty loud "squeal" when I let out the clutch, HOWEVER, I also get the chirp/rattle when I hit a bump (occasionally of course) Does this sound like a fork/pivot ball situation?

(I checked for any heat shields or anything like that and its not that)

Archived