LegacyGT.com

Reducing cabin temps

Owned my LGT for about 2 years now, just shy of 75k miles, around 52k when I bought.

Obv the cabin warms up quite a bit due to the turbo, esp after a good drive, then stopping somewhere for a bit and hopping back in the car.

I'm looking for a decent solution to this problem.

Additional heat shield? Firewall?

I did have a turbo blanket on for quite a while, which did help reduce by around 25% or so, but I eventually took the blanket off when taking it to the dealer (just in case they say something) and it basically fell apart. All the filling turned to white dust and made a nice dusting around the engine bay. Never put back on.

Thanks in advance!

Have you replaced the cabin air filter under the glove box ? it could be full of crap blocking air flow.

I use the recir button in my cars to cool them down.

Oh just thought of this one, Open the windows for the first mile or so...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I use the recir button and windows down as well, so I'm not getting as much engine bay hot air through. In the summer it's still a killer though.

Air filter, that was on the list to change. :)

Reflective tape on the firewall/back of the bay??

I just want to reduce the cabin temps in general, without the AC. I don't see why I need to run the AC when it's only 70 degrees outside on the coast, with a nice breeze, but the cabin is still almost sweaty hot.

I just want to reduce the cabin temps in general, without the AC. I don't see why I need to run the AC when it's only 70 degrees outside on the coast, with a nice breeze, but the cabin is still almost sweaty hot.

I only use the AC on the hot humid day's or on long trips on the highway in like weather.

Most day's when it's nice out, its windows down...

Have you tried leaving the windows down a inch when you park the car, let it air out.

I have the sunroof popped up all day while I'm at work today. My wagon I roll the windows down a inch most day's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The previous owner of my Legacy said he had an issue where the heat/cold "adjuster" or "throttle" if you will came off its track, staying open and leading to constant hot temps inside the cabin. Might want to look into that, as well as the filter-blockage possibility.
LW's spec. B / YT / IG

You dont have to run the AC. If the climate control was previously set to blow warm or hot air it will continue to do so even after it is off. If you want it to be cooler without running the AC you have to set the climate control to blow cooler air then turn it off.

You dont have to run the AC. If the climate control was previously set to blow warm or hot air it will continue to do so even after it is off. If you want it to be cooler without running the AC you have to set the climate control to blow cooler air then turn it off.

This is key!

The car is already tinted.

I usually just have the vents on and windows down when it's hots. Even if the vents were off, just the temps from the engine bay will soak into the cabin and heat it up. If it's nice out I do leave the roof cracked open.

I am mainly looking for a way to reduce the heat from the engine bay that is soaking the cabin in heat.

Nothing to do with the vents or cooling system. Even if I leave it on recirculated air, windows down, the cabin will still get hot from the bay.

I will be changing the cabin filter soon.

^ here is more of what I am looking for. Seats not on, only vents, windows down. Even if run the AC and turn it off, it will start to heat soak the car. It's def from the engine bay. I've never had this with any other car, even our non tinted 3.6R is 90% cooler inside the car after the same driving conditions.

So thoughts on why it's getting hot?

I'm ready for some extra padding on the firewall.

As I said before, the turbo blanket I had on before helped keep the car a bit cooler.

I figured it was due to the Turbo. But again the Ralliart I owned for half a second got somewhat warm from the engine bay, but that was only 25% of what I am getting now.

I too find this cabin to be slightly warmer then other cars, but I'm frankly not comfortable that it's 'turbo' related. The entire engine bay is 'hot' and the fire wall is so thin it flexes when you're braking.

I think what's happening is you're getting warmer air from the vents because the system is not set to 65, which has zero coolant in the core flowing.

I'm not sure how you came up with 25% cooler with the turbo blanket. It would be so hard to determine the improvements unless it was documented with light, outside temp, inside temp, minutes with motor running etc etc.

I can tell you that once a cabin and metal come up to temp, it takes a long time to cool down.

If with your windows open on a 70f day you find it too warm in the cabin I think you've got a serious problem.

Archived