LegacyGT.com

Power Steering Pump Freezing up

Hey so finding any threads directly related to my issue on the power steering pump is proving to be annoying....

But check this out... So I have this whole "Steering wheel shudder/accompanied with belt screetch"

So the other day, I had the opportunity to have someone turn the wheel for me while looking at the pump... Looks like the pump literally freezes up as the wheel is being turned with the car parked or not in motion (ie: more resistance to turn the wheels vs a moving vehicle). Once the car is moving in any regard, this is a NON issue... So as the wheel is turning, and further toward lock out, I will hear almost a light squeak to start coming on, and then the pump pulley will freeze for a VERY brief moment while the belt is still spinning causing the horrid screech and steering wheel shudder.

Anybody seen these same symptoms on there PS pump? There is a bit of a wet appearance around the pump, which to me seems to hint an issue with the pump possibly failing in some regard, also the belts are BRAND new, and the tension seems to be COMPLETELY adequate. Is it almost a no brainer that the pump is just in need of replacement, or would one think there is more to this story? I'm bored of the concept of experimental replacements prior to fixing a root cause ha...

Pic of said pump/area...

IMAG1329.thumb.jpg.4c878bf4b02fc92b937134efa9968b25.jpg

IMAG1332.thumb.jpg.d84f3e52b330aa513ddefe5fae611d49.jpg

Replace the belt.. I doubt the pump is seizing, its probably the belt slipping on the pulley not driving it. And that leak is typical o-ring leakage.. there has also been a couple people that have had the PS system flushed completely and resolved this issue..

I replaced the belt, it helped for awhile, just waiting to flush the system and replace the o-ring in spring

Funny you say that, because thats exactly what I'm planning to do myself... I'm going to flush the system, see what kind of result I see.

And it's seriously "Normal" to see this kind of seepage from any kind of mechanical device? I find that surprising...

I'd also like to add... People seem to default to the belt so quickly... But lets look at it this way, if the pump PRIOR TO PULLEY SEEMINGLY FREEZING starts to make a audible squeaking from a very subtle point escalating in volume/intensity until the pulley appears to freeze/seize momentarily... Wouldn't that be an indication of something pump related versus a sudden belt sliip?

Just some angles I'm trying to throw out there to discuss

Knock on wood, my pump on my 05 was dry and is still dry after all these years.

Flush your's and may be replace the seal at the same time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would agree people default to the belt quickly b/c they usually could use replacement anyway, so its a win/win for diag..that was the case with mine. I replaced mine and symptoms went away until recently in the really cold weather, I also noticed the PS was a little low last time I checked the oil so I topped it off. So I plan on replacing the o-ring and flushing the system when the springtime mod shananigans begin:cool:

I would agree people default to the belt quickly b/c they usually could use replacement anyway, so its a win/win for diag..that was the case with mine. I replaced mine and symptoms went away until recently in the really cold weather, I also noticed the PS was a little low last time I checked the oil so I topped it off. So I plan on replacing the o-ring and flushing the system when the springtime mod shananigans begin:cool:

Yea I hear ya. And LOVE shananigans :lol: but yea that belt is BRAND new. Thats why I'm not so quick to want to just replace it as a trouble shooting method.

We are having really cold weather here in NY these past couple of days. When I went to start my car, I heard a whine and then my steering wheel started acting up. I imagine its the pump, I checked the reservoir level and it looks fine. My pump is in the same shape as original poster, some oil on top. I just replaced all my belts, pulleys, crank pulley under 10k miles ago, and my belt looks fine. But it works mostly, the wheel stiffens up at times, like the pump is failing. I was thinking of getting a rebuild kit, but I would rather not waste my time and effort if its not a sure fix. I heard flushing the system fixes this but how would that alleviate the problem is mainly what i'm wondering?

contaminated fluids acts differently from fresh fluid.. Trans fluid does crazy things when contaminated, guess whats in our power steering system:spin:

If Im not mistaken the seal the needs replace is right on top where the hose goes, unbolt hose, replace o-ring, reinstall hose, top off fluid, proceed bleeding system and topping off as needed.. Roadtest, check and top fluid if needed..

That would be AWESOME if it's that easy. Also how does one go about bleeding the power steering system?

I'll be trying the whole flush approach prior to replacing anything. The fluid was originally a BIT low, and pretty murky. I'm sure it could use a flush

Just to add to this thread..

I very recently did the fluid flush, very simple. Just follow the great walk through posted here.

My issue was a gritty gear feeling when I turned the wheel after engine start while stationary.

The current belt looked great to me..

I put everything back together and a day later started getting bad belt squeal with that grind feeling in the steering wheel.

I put a new belt on and proper tension = smooth steering and squeal is gone.

I did notice the old fluid was much darker than the new so I have peace of mind having flushed it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get an accessory belt at any automotive store. There really isn't much technology involved there, I would not fret over using a non oem belt. I believe the belts subaru uses are 3rd party anyways.

Try searching alternator belt. One belt drives the AC and is on the inside of crank pulley. The outer one drives the alternator and power steering! Or try searching accessory belt.

Sooooooooo...

Took the suby to get a power steering flush done, and the guy really worked it through good, kept turning the wheel full revolutions left to right lock out points, and I literally listened to the "Screetching" go down with each cycle of the wheel with the new fluid in the system while he was doing the flush...

Drove the car for the whole next day, didn't hear a thing! And I've been asking the fiance' if she's been hearing anything ESPECIALLY with these cold days where having single and sub zero temps, and she says she hasn't heard much of anything since! :D So for now, looks like the flush REALLY helped tremendously!

Wanted to throw an update in here

The area around the power steering inlet looks wet in both of your photographs. You may want to replace those hose clamps (known to be too weak), and check the O-ring in the area. If any of those seals aren't actually sealing, air could be getting into your PS system.

Check this short thread for a little more info on the O-ring, including the part number.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/power-steering-o-ring-fix-197481.html

The area around the power steering inlet looks wet in both of your photographs. You may want to replace those hose clamps (known to be too weak), and check the O-ring in the area. If any of those seals aren't actually sealing, air could be getting into your PS system.

Check this short thread for a little more info on the O-ring, including the part number.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/power-steering-o-ring-fix-197481.html

Yea I'll probably revisit it, I had to do SOMETHING to try to get this thing operating relatively normal, until I get more time to do some researching and revisit possible seal issues etc. Thanks for the link.

Archived