LegacyGT.com

I really wish this car came with a cable connected to the gas pedal

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1

I don't own the car (yet, still), but I had the opportunity recently to drive an '07 5MT for a week and it was definitely different driving with DBW.

Going over slight bumps on the freeway would shift my steady foot slightly and I could notice the MPG gauge fluctuating a tiny bit.

It was definitely nice going back to my Accord with regards to controlling the throttle.

I wonder if there is a way to make the pedal heavier to use. Also, the throttle response could be quicker. Is it true that the AP can fix this?

-ben

I have trouble knowing where to place the numb electronic throttle on my '08 LGT HATE LIST.

I mean, how does it stack up against the following:

1. Uselessly and overly close gear ratios.

2. Too-short final drive.

3. Narrow driver's footwell [fun when braking AND catching the accelerator].

4. Stupid HVAC [i just want some FRESH air from the vents, pretty please...].

5. Unlinkable dual climate controls.

6. Two clicks to unlock the passenger doors.

7. Rear seat bolsters pushing my older two kids into the younger third in the middle [fight time].

8. Pointless glove-box.

9. Horrendously easy-to-scuff interior plastics.

10. Paint scratching gas cap.

11. Useless foglights.

12. Poor quality carpets

13. Getting a soaked left arm and shoulder when opening the car door after rain.

14. Terrible crosswind stability.

15. Gigantic ignition key.

16. Key slot low on the steering column so my other keys tickle my right knee, all the time.

17. Center dash cubby exactly just a little too small to hold CDs in their cases.

There's just so much to choose from. Hmmm, I think I'd place the numb throttle right up there with the lousy gear ratios and short final drive ratio.

Cheers, Albatross.

I have trouble knowing where to place the numb electronic throttle on my '08 LGT HATE LIST.

7. Rear seat bolsters pushing my older two kids into the younger third in the middle [fight time].

8. Pointless glove-box.

11. Useless foglights.

12. Poor quality carpets

13. Getting a soaked left arm and shoulder when opening the car door after rain.

16. Key slot low on the steering column so my other keys tickle my right knee, all the time.

17. Center dash cubby exactly just a little too small to hold CDs in their cases.

There's just so much to choose from. Hmmm, I think I'd place the numb throttle right up there with the lousy gear ratios and short final drive ratio.

Cheers, Albatross.

I agree with everything except #4 - you can press the button without turning the AC on and it will let fresh air in.

Oh and I also disagree with 1 and 2. I think the gear ratios are fine... and doing 75MPH at 3000 RPMs is perfectly reasonable to me.

Let me elaborate on #4. If I start the car in "fresh air" mode, I'll get tepid air out of the face vents. I have to go to defrost, make sure the temps are both on 65 deg F, wait about 30 sec, then switch the defrost off, and I can then get ambient outside air in the cabin. You can't adjust the temp without activating the air-co or defrost, and the bloody thing resets its self every time I turn the car off. Why can't Subaru allow us to have fresh air in with some control over the temp, without having to activate the defrost or air-co first?

I think 5th gear on the manual tranny is way too short. It could easily be 20%-25% taller, and this would help the decidedly mediocre gas mileage. My point is; the engine is torquey enough to pull at 2000rpm, so why not make this useful. Plus, this would help the tendency to slow down on gentle downhill grades due to roll resistance from the all wheel drive. I always find when I change up from, or down to 4th there's just not a big enough difference in RPM. My 1994 SAAB 9000 Turbo pulled 60+ mph @ 2000RPM, no problems.

Cheers, Abatross

8. Pointless glove-box.

11. Useless foglights.

12. Poor quality carpets

Cheers, Albatross.

I have solutions to two of your problems.

6.) http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2972&highlight=button+unlock

10.) http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61836&highlight=gas+cap

I used the solution on post #11 of this thread.

g/l with the other ones though. ;)

yes DBW sucks....... even my sentra has it and it is very annoying. it doesn't even deliever 100% throttle when the gas pedal is on the floor, but yet when i half throttle it while trying to make a pass it goes 100% throttle..... :spin: (monitored by safcII)

the only plus i see..... nothing to break/wear down/loosen over time

It's part of what makes a Subaru, a Subaru...

Our '06 (n/a, mt) isn't as bad as our '98 (n/a, mt) was. In the '98, removing the slack from the throttle cable made no difference. Stop & go traffic was painful.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

+1

I wonder if there is a way to make the pedal heavier to use. Also, the throttle response could be quicker. Is it true that the AP can fix this?

I made the throttle heavier by tying the throttle spring togther with some zip ties to make it firmer. Worked for me.

Ralph

Yes tuners can get better throttle response. Im running a STI throttle map, i noticed it to be much more responsive when i apply even light pressure on the pedal.

Thats awesome. When I get a protune in the spring Ill def make sure I get something similar.

Im so used to instant throttle response off a cable haha

So was i lol, the last 3 cars i owned and i traded 2 in for the legacy was, a 2000 Trans aam, 1990 new yorker and a 87 supra. All had cables and the throttle response was awesome. I missed it and i still do. The STI throttle map helped ALOT, it was easy to see the diff. But cable is still better imo

For someone having experienced balljoint linkages (old Volvo 120, a.k.a. Amazon) to the throttle I know what I prefer. Superior control over the throttle compared to the cable that has stickiness to it. Cables REALLY sucks when it's cold... Even worse with the wrong lubrication...

The electronic throttle is sometimes a pain too, and I have recognized that it's sometimes too sensitive to bumps. But as usual - you can't get everything...

453747.png

For someone having experienced balljoint linkages (old Volvo 120, a.k.a. Amazon) to the throttle I know what I prefer. Superior control over the throttle compared to the cable that has stickiness to it. Cables REALLY sucks when it's cold... Even worse with the wrong lubrication...

The electronic throttle is sometimes a pain too, and I have recognized that it's sometimes too sensitive to bumps. But as usual - you can't get everything...

+elevenbillion, I love my drive-by-wire.

Matter of fact my wife drives a Focus with a cable instead of drive-by-wire and it sucks. If you ask me to hold the revs to any value you want, I can do that in my LGT. No freakin' way I could ever do that in the Focus.

Archived