LegacyGT.com

Dedicated Winter tire for Spec B

YVRspecB

Almost wrote off my spec B yesterday in Vancouver as the stock RE050 do NOT have any grip when stopping in snow. I've read all the threads about the all season and winter performance tires, however I've decided to go with a serious snow and ice tire because I have the original summers that work great in all seasons EXCEPT winter. I am planning on getting the OEM 17x7" wheels from the 06-07 LGT with 215/50/17 Nokian Hakkapelita R.

Has anyone used these before ? I found a few excellent european reviews that rate this tire way higher than the WRG2 and on par with the x-Ice2 and Blizzak WS-60. Why doesn't Tire-rack have any info on this tire ?

I found a local dealer with stock Kal Tire. Does $279 seem a bit excessive ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're lucky you didn't do some damage to your car or someone else's on those summer tires! YIKES! You got off lucky on that one! Glad to hear you're getting something more winter worthy. ;)

The Tire Rack doesn't sell Nokians so I'm not surprised they don't have any info on them. I had to find my Nokian WR's at a small local place too.

I was just looking at those and will probably go with those next time. They look like they'd be very good in this stuff we're getting in the PNW right now. I'm sure they'll do very well. ;)

Cheers!

Almost wrote off my spec B yesterday in Vancouver as the stock RE050 do NOT have any grip when stopping in snow. I've read all the threads about the all season and winter performance tires, however I've decided to go with a serious snow and ice tire because I have the original summers that work great in all seasons EXCEPT winter. I am planning on getting the OEM 17x7" wheels from the 06-07 LGT with 215/50/17 Nokian Hakkapelita R.

Has anyone used these before ? I found a few excellent european reviews that rate this tire way higher than the WRG2 and on par with the x-Ice2 and Blizzak WS-60. Why doesn't Tire-rack have any info on this tire ?

I found a local dealer with stock Kal Tire. Does $279 seem a bit excessive ?

Tirerack doesn't compare Nokians because Nokian doesn't allow mail-order sales. They did compare the RSI to the new Xi2, conveniently ignoring the R.

The R is the new replacement for the RSI. In one test I saw - a tie - the R was better on snow and ice than the new Michelin Xi2, but not as good in the dry/wet.

Because Vancouver seems to get more rain than snow, the WR G2 might be a better bet, but that's up to you.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/421281817_PfTQz-XL.jpg

The WR G2's are usually tested against other "Winter & All-Year" tires. In the 2008 ADAC tests, they "specially recommended" the Goodyear UltraGrip 7+ , Continental WinterContact TS830, Pirelli Winter 190 Snowcontrol, and Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D.

They "recommended" the Kumho I’ZEN KW 23, Nokian WR G2, Bridgestone Blizzak LM25, Yokohama W.drive, Hankook Icebear W440, Semperit Speed-Grip, and Firestone Winterhawk 2.

But like all such tests, it depends on what is weighted. For those tires, the weights were 15% dry, 30% wet, 20% snow, 10% ice, 5% noise, 10% fuel consumption, and 10% wear.

By contrast, in 2007 when they tested winter tires for SUVs, the weights were dry 20%, wet 35%, snow 25%, ice 0%, noise 5%, fuel consumption 0%, and wear 15%. So the same tire would have a different score.

Given that you have an AWD vehicle and live in a moderate locale, not up a hill, any of the tires would likely serve you well.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

As a fellow spec.b owner who also almost totaled his car last year on the stockers, I would suggest you don't even drive until you have some winters on.

It was before I got my winters on last year.... going down Oak St...near 4th. I got really lucky, and thankfully I knew what to do (vdc off, point car, gas, gas, gas.)

Anyways, I'm running 215/45 R17 Hakka 4's. They're very good, but I think I would go with the Hakka R now (they weren't available 2 years ago). I had the RSi 's on my '98 legacy. Great tires, but a softer sidewall than the Hakka 4's. Both are incredibly predictable when slipping...

Get the R or Hakka 5's. You will be in driving heaven.

If you want, you can come test drive my tires before you buy.....

I was liucky to realize the summer suck early besides alota people telling me. It rainned here in Oct in 35*F weather. and i was drifting turns i would normally grip.

Good thing nothing happened to you beside some slippage. Deff get some Snow tires or at least some All Season before you get back out there.

Thanks guys for all the feedback. The Hakka Rs are on order, just trying to find a set of 17x7 wheels that will be a direct fit on the subaru hub. I don't like using hub centering rings. Anyone know what other wheels are a direct fit ?

Thanks guys for all the feedback. The Hakka Rs are on order, just trying to find a set of 17x7 wheels that will be a direct fit on the subaru hub. I don't like using hub centering rings. Anyone know what other wheels are a direct fit ?

Great tires. We have a set on the wife's SUV.

The stock LGT rims are often available for less than $400. They're fairly light: about 18 lbs.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Get a set of used RE92's

They will be a huge improvement of what you have now.

I disagree. RE92's are not acceptable in the snow. If he's going to get all-seasons instead of winter tires he should go with at least the Potenza 960AS or the ContiExtremeContact.

I disagree. RE92's are not acceptable in the snow. If he's going to get all-seasons instead of winter tires he should go with at least the Potenza 960AS or the ContiExtremeContact.

At Team O'Neil, the only "All Season" tires they allow are ContExtremeContact, Nokian WR's, and Nokian WR G2's.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Sooner? Sooner than what?

He made the right decision. Summer tire for summer, winter tire for winter. That's at least 6 years of driving between the 2 (unless you're smokin' them).

And Phil... seriously? Re92's? C'mon. I too have been there. Yes, there're better than a summer tire in the snow, but they're shite once they break loose!

Nokian R FTMFW! (See you at Whistler!)

I drove my RE050As all winter in snow-ville USA last year (up to ski resorts too...Yeah I am stupid and deserve the flaming) with 7/32" left on them.....was very interesting at times and always had to ridiculously baby the hell out of her. Only really big problem was going down hill and even idle speed = hit the snow bank (good thing my friend had a tractor to keep pulling me out).

Have the conti-extreme-contacts and worked great in a foot of snow the other day!

I drove my RE050As all winter in snow-ville USA last year (up to ski resorts too...Yeah I am stupid and deserve the flaming) with 7/32" left on them.....was very interesting at times and always had to ridiculously baby the hell out of her. Only really big problem was going down hill and even idle speed = hit the snow bank (good thing my friend had a tractor to keep pulling me out).

Have the conti-extreme-contacts and worked great in a foot of snow the other day!

Yes you are stupid, and reckless, and more than reserve flaming.

I wish proper tires were enforced and cars with improper ones impounded and released to owner only if he brings a set of correct wheels.

I'd like to believe in driver's education but then I look at all these fwd idiots on cheap tires around Boston.

i wouldn't quite go as far as impounding (actually i would like to see that sort of government car theft illegal) but i would like to see tire laws enforced and violators tickited as is now happening in quebec.

+1

I drove my RE050As all winter in snow-ville USA last year (up to ski resorts too...Yeah I am stupid and deserve the flaming)

Now let's think for a moment.

If you hit me or somebody who cares/knows about tires and they go and check and see RE050A on your car. What is next? I would make sure that type of tire is mentioned in police report. Who pays the insurance claim then? You or your insurance?

Krzys

Now let's think for a moment.

If you hit me or somebody who cares/knows about tires and they go and check and see RE050A on your car. What is next? I would make sure that type of tire is mentioned in police report. Who pays the insurance claim then? You or your insurance?

Krzys

I would pay...as in me or my insurance :) and yes at that point just buying the tires would be cheaper so I had to be cautious.

I believe we got snow once a week and by the time I hit the streets it was plowed and fine. Just be cautious, keep your distance, avoid cold nights after warm days, and be vigilant (pretty much what should always be done!...but even more so and any sane driver would be fine 99% of the time).

Honestly it was not horrible, more so limiting... yes I got stuck in the wrong place at the wrong time, but that happened on my buddies private road at his cabin with nothing but brush to be seen for miles.....I never went out if it was snowing bad as I do have a brain. I happened to be saving every dime for my wedding (and was back in school) since my father-in-law was a cheap ass and had to sacrifice the tires I wanted/needed real bad. I just tried my best to insure that what I had to do at the time did not affect any undeserving driver

Hey Guys, I finally got my Winter tires and wheels.

Ended up getting a set of Factory 17" from Docksteader Subaru at a sale price of $325 each. They were originally listed at over $590 each. I still think the sale price was a bit steep, however most of the aftermarket ones that were decent quality were around the $275 US price. Factor in Hub centering rings, shipping etc., I figured I'd just get these.

The fun begun as I got to the tire store after reserving my Hakkas, the guy at the counter told me that they were sold out. Eventually after some heated discusion, I got them to transfer the last 4 to their store from another store. Drove away a happy customer.

Initial impression of these tires...Simply AMAZING !!! They actually STOP really quick on ice. I was very impressed. I highly recommend them, forget all seasons if you have dedicate summers.

One thing that I have noticed though is the back end of this car has a tecdancy to want to slide out when things get very slippery; almost seems as like the AWD setup is more rear biased. Anyone else find this ?

See Pics below

IMG_0156a.thumb.jpg.9427ce3ed7aeb0b0d022311f38a56b43.jpg

IMG_0157a.thumb.jpg.bfbdac5124e2b0ed25ff466a78f52f93.jpg

I wouldn't quite go as far as impounding (actually I would like to see that sort of government car theft illegal) but I would like to see tire laws enforced and violators tickited as is now happening in Quebec.

I just returned a rental car in Montreal, a Mazda 6, not bad. The rental companies are charging between $4 & $8 a day winter tyre recovery fee, another way to screw the customer !

It's worth renting a car for a day just to swap out my used winters for a nice set of new ones courtesy of Avis :lol:

Not like they will ever check when you return the car.

As a fan of scams, that's a great idea Phil! hahaha.

Is there any way you can tell them that you don't want to pay extra for the winter tires, and to remove them? (since they're not allowed to, do you think they'd just wave the fee?)

It's like saying +$5/day to have an airbag!

Archived