LegacyGT.com

BulletProof-TMIC Mod - LGT, 08+ WRX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My BP TMIC is holding up very nice. I could not get the rails on for the life of me ended up using a table clamp to squeeze them on. I have searched all over the place to find what the max hp a a BP TMIC can go up to. I was considering a TD05 BNR 18G and am debating if the modified stock tmic can produce the 320-340 whp that the turbo is capable of. Whats the highest hp anyone has seen on a stock TMIC?

• Moderators
My BP TMIC is holding up very nice. I could not get the rails on for the life of me ended up using a table clamp to squeeze them on. I have searched all over the place to find what the max hp a a BP TMIC can go up to. I was considering a TD05 BNR 18G and am debating if the modified stock tmic can produce the 320-340 whp that the turbo is capable of. Whats the highest hp anyone has seen on a stock TMIC?

A rubber mallet is the best tool I've found for seating the rails, although I'll admit I haven't really tried much else, lol.

Not everyone throws their car on a dyno to get actual numbers, so unfortunately I can't help you there.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

As said, actual numbers are scarce to none. However, multiple BP Modded TMICs are successfully supporting larger turbos such as the VF52, one in particular a regular on the race track.

Looking for maximum horsepower is different from looking for the most efficient TMIC that also gets driven daily. While some inferior imitators offer lower internal resistance at the expense of cooling, thus an apparent increase in power, the usual end result is horsepower lost to heat. The slight increase in internal resistance of the OEM TMIC is due to it's excellent design for removing heat, and thus providing a cooler more powerful intake charge.

True I worded it wrong. I did not mean to sound like one of those people that only cares about high numbers. I suppose what the true question was if the stock tmic flowed enough to not be considered a constriction point. But then I started thinking that if the newer WRX's that come with a VF52 which is pretty on par with a TD05 16G and use the same tmic it must flow decent enough.

My biggest issue right now is under hood temperature I ordered some of those kevlar heat jackets one for the uppipe and im thinking of using the same one for the crosspipe that is missing its heatshield due to the GS xpipe. The perrin DP jacket is on my mind as well.

True I worded it wrong. I did not mean to sound like one of those people that only cares about high numbers. I suppose what the true question was if the stock tmic flowed enough to not be considered a constriction point. But then I started thinking that if the newer WRX's that come with a VF52 which is pretty on par with a TD05 16G and use the same tmic it must flow decent enough.

My biggest issue right now is under hood temperature I ordered some of those kevlar heat jackets one for the uppipe and im thinking of using the same one for the crosspipe that is missing its heatshield due to the GS xpipe. The perrin DP jacket is on my mind as well.

You're going in the right direction. Add a turbo blanket and your underhood temps will be about as you can expect, and far better than normal. Your/a BP Modded OEM TMIC will more than suit your needs.

And, yes, my '11 WRX that spawned the idea for the BP Mod had a VF52 and had 300-ish whp.

The Perrin I went to on my '05 LGT was a constrictive heatsink that I fought with from the beginning. I got it because I listened to someone selling it, and I was too naïve to know the difference until too late. Of course, at that time my OEM TMIC was JB Welded and wired so I also didn't like its appearance. But I'd have avoided all the issues I had with the Perrin if I'd come up with the BP Mod earlier. Live and learn.

Also, consider the JDM FA20DIT iterations such as come in the 2014 USDM Forester XT... their OEM TMICs have the same core and come STOCK with 300 horsepower. Every part of that engine has been revised and brought into line with the future, yet the TMIC's core is identical to the ones we are discussing here. The reason why is it is already as good as it gets - for a daily driver - and simply cannot be improved.

I see you changed your picture I didn't recognize your profile. Yeah I read all the threads of your development of this modification. Its a brilliant idea so simple and effective. You have the car I think I want some day except I would go wingless. If I ever for some reason am in the car market again any time soon.

I think your right about the turbo blanket my GS heat shield just really is not doing enough.

I see you changed your picture I didn't recognize your profile. Yeah I read all the threads of your development of this modification. Its a brilliant idea so simple and effective. You have the car I think I want some day except I would go wingless. If I ever for some reason am in the car market again any time soon.

I think your right about the turbo blanket my GS heat shield just really is not doing enough.

My STi was wingless. ;) I have a 2014 FXT now. That's how I can comment about their intercoolers. At 17+ psi stock I'll be keeping an eye on my endtanks. :lol:

The GS is useless (sorry GS), but an OEM turbo shield with a blanket under it is the best for keeping turbo heat where it belongs, and away from where it doesn't.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...