LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

That's pretty wild, but way too expensive. I am not so enthusiastic about modern diesels anyway. I'd stick with 1GR-FE. It's a good mill. I have it (single VVT-i though) in our Tacoma.

These D4D engines are literally all over the globe though. A family member owns a Hilux with one of those. It's been 7 years now. Zero issue as far as I know. But yeah, pricey conversion. Unless you just buy a shell :spin:.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the Atlanta Auto Show, which was pretty decent... not LA or NY amazing, but pretty decent.

Did you happen to verify 0w20 oil on the cap? I have been hoarding a ton of 5w30 in anticipation of the turbo or H6 needing that.

OMG - Dual Injector Setup would be perfect. Shut up and take my money.

Regarding towing - is the hitch stock, or an additional accessory (I think it's like $550 on the Outback to install...)

I might have to seriously think about an Ascent Limited with package 23 (PMR, HK Audio...) but only if there's dual injectors. Not doing the WSB thing every 30k.

Edited by Pilot1226

Did you happen to verify 0w20 oil on the cap? I have been hoarding a ton of 5w30 in anticipation of the turbo or H6 needing that.

Regarding towing - is the hitch stock, or an additional accessory (I think it's like $550 on the Outback to install...)

I might have to seriously think about an Ascent Limited with package 23 (PMR, HK Audio...) but only if there's dual injectors. Not doing the WSB thing every 30k.

The oil cap was completely taped-off - you'll be able to see it in the picture when I get those uploaded. I'm sure they didn't want that stolen or worse, something dumped in there...

As I indicated, the dual setup is speculation at this point...so let's manage our expectations until we know/see what's what. Like I said, the rep literally stopped talking and changed subjects after acknowledging that Subaru was aware of the issue. I did my dead level best to look at and/or photo that whole area, but it's tight confines around those intake runners and standing on my head inside the engine compartment would have been too hard, and probably broken something important - on me or the vehicle. :eek:

No idea on the hitch. Did not look installed on this one, so my surmise is that it's an option. Might actually be a factory option, given that it's a selling point for the vehicle. Otherwise, dealer-install or DIY, which is what I'd do. Would be big bonus if it was standard kit on the Limited or Touring models.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

A local technician attending a Subaru training on the Ascent today posted some pics of the Ascent turbo.d8cff3b09f146bc8991c8c6207bcbe7f.jpgfc8ed747ea335d52065ae20f76fa4013.jpg15feb22400e0fd6ff8c69f71f6df036c.jpge69a564875ac53666802860159d33a6d.jpg

Wow a first non-IHI on a Subaru in a long time.

I knew Honeywell was stepping up their game, given how intensely competitive the 4Ts are getting, and they made major investments to be in these new developments.

Electronic WG and variable boost control. All in Honeywell's planned wheelhouse. Subaru partnering with them seems pretty consistent with their own strategy as well.

What was the tech's take-away on the unit. Strengths? Weaknesses? Ball bearing or journal bearing?

As far as the dual injection, anyone have any idea how the fuel lines are laid out on the BRZ? I'd imagine there are either two separate FPRs or two separate returns, something like that. Subaru absolutely destroyed the functionality of their parts site, though, so I have no good way of looking that up.

Edit: The FA20DIT is paired up with a Honeywell turbo as well- at least on the '15+ WRX, and I'd assume the same on the FXT.

According to cars101.com, the hitch is indeed optional and looks like it would cost 500$.

see this link for TONS of info about the Ascent: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/ascent/ascent2019.html

Also according to this site, it says the CVT found in this car is also found on the 3.6 outback.

Not understanding all the comparisons to a 4Runner... Wouldn't the Highlander be a more appropriate counterpart?

Lol, there were no claims of logic on this comparison. Generally speaking we like the ability a Subaru SUV brings and this one with Xmode would probably outperform any fwd based SUV offroad, but a true 4wd would be a closer match in capability. Although for strictly offroad performance the Subaru would be at a large disadvantage mechanically, speaking that is.

In that instance they make a good comparison to each other.

Although for strictly offroad performance the Subaru would be at a large disadvantage mechanically, speaking that is.

This one can handle itself pretty good offroad though :hide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vBrV227CBA]How a Offroad Subaru Should Be Built | Snyder Films - YouTube[/ame]

Not understanding all the comparisons to a 4Runner... Wouldn't the Highlander be a more appropriate counterpart?

I made the comparison only based on the very similar price for Touring trim ($44,700) vs Limited 4WD 4Runner ($44,000). That's before fees, incentives, etc...

Both vehicles are equipped similarly: heated/ventilated seats, 3rd row seating, 4WD/AWD, ~270 HP, ~280 lb-ft, 5000 lb towing capacity, navigation, upgraded stereo, etc etc etc...

I was just saying that it seems to me (though others disagree on various points) that you get a lot more vehicle for the price with the 4Runner: higher ground clearance (extra 1.1" over Ascent), much improved approach/departure angles, locking center diff, wider/taller tailgate (can actually fit a 4x8' horizontally through door), etc.

Conversely, the Ascent has a much nicer fit & finish (4Runner feels utilitarian), has much better mpg, is boosted (especially nice for high elevations), and has 19 cupholders...

If your vehicle will never see anything more treacherous than a speed bump in front of Nordstrom, the Ascent is the obvious choice. But as you start wanting to go into rugged terrain, and not just dirt-road-rugged, the 4Runner seems to offer a lot more for the same price.

And that's even the older non turbo outback, which means open diffs all around.

Remember our discussion here about mechanical lsd vs electronic system?

Well recently we had about 5" of snow fall and I got to test out the '05 5MT LGT and the '12 6MT Outback up my steep driveway.

On the LSD-less Outback, with traction control disabled, I was spinning the tires and couldn't go more then halfway through if I didn't have enough speed. With enough speed (form the street), I made it up but the car was sliding a good bit.

With traction control on, I could feel it slow down/pull power, I could also hear each wheel brake (which is odd that I couldn't hear it with TC off, since it shouldn't disable VDC), but it powered through no problem. I even dead stopped at the bottom of the driveway and tried going up, no problem at all!

Now the LGT has a rear a stock viscous rear LSD, open front, it was indistinguishable from the Outback with TC off, same amount of sliding and struggling.

The take away from this non scientific (because tires are different and have different depths) test is, TC made all the difference. Especially since the Outback would turn from being LGT like to being much better by turning TC on. Basically, I don't miss the VLSD for snow driving and prefer to have the TC and individual wheel braking, but if it's dry road racing, then I'll take LSD of any sort.

If your vehicle will never see anything more treacherous than a speed bump in front of Nordstrom, the Ascent is the obvious choice. But as you start wanting to go into rugged terrain, and not just dirt-road-rugged, the 4Runner seems to offer a lot more for the same price.

I did a decent amount of off roading (read not rock crawling) on my old 04 FTXT (7.5" ground clearance). I bought the '12 Outback as an upgrade in interior space, but it also has 1.2" more ground clearance at 8.7" just like the Ascent. To be honest, I haven't reached the point where that's not enough ground clearance, even in the FXT with only 7.5" ground clearance I never got stuck. There is one time where I did scrape the cat converter heatshields on the FXT, I was crossing a river some river stones scraped it, but I made it through, which surprised the off-roading jeep/taco guys that were there.

With that said, I can't see myself taking a $45k Ascent on those trails or river crossings, it's too damn nice for that. I gave my wife's Outback pinstripes first day off-roading and that didn't fare well as is :lol:.

Edited by covertrussian

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I believe this one has an H6 in it with an auto trans btw.

Ligh Offroading with a Subaru is fun though. I love it. Enjoyed the last bit of snow we just got doing some (stupid) donuts in parking lots :spin:

Adoniram -

Climbed-up and into the 4Runner. It's obviously a truck-based platform, solid, utilitarian. You don't just slide into it. The step is there for a reason. Interesting that the the Ascent has higher ground clearance, but the 4Runner was a large step up.

Talked to several people there who owned recent ones, and their largest complaint was mileage. Dead reliable otherwise, but no one seemed to top 14MPG in mixed driving.

Felt like the floor and the driver's seat-top were too close together. Don't know if that's to increase the head room, to keep you closer to the vehicle to reduce your tendency to buck and roll, or what. But, it made for a more flat-legged driving experience, if you wanted the steering wheel adjusted for proper elbow angles and hand placements.

Probably more my issue, but check it out if you're somewhat tall.

Quick googling is telling me 4runner has 9.6" ground clearance vs 8.7" on Ascent, so I am not sure where you getting your data from. Interestingly even TRD Pro is listed as 9.6" even though it has 1.5" lift - the ground clearance spec is dictated by the rear diff ground clearance (solid axle). Need to go with bigger wheels to increase that.

Also the siting position is typical Tacoma/4runner position. The body sits high on the frame, again something that greatly helps these trucks off road.

Anyhow, for any even semi serious off-roading 4runner will eat Ascent for lunch. It's a truck.

[*]Pilot/MDX - very disappointing on too many levels

Can you expand on this? My wife is leaning towards the Pilot, and beyond it's utterly bland looks I don't really have a lot to say against it. The interior doesn't seem that great for the price. But otherwise seems pretty decent.

It also has a version of SHAWD that is supposedly pretty good and has a decent amount of interior space for it's size.

Edited by Rhitter

Quick googling is telling me 4runner has 9.6" ground clearance vs 8.7" on Ascent, so I am not sure where you getting your data from. Interestingly even TRD Pro is listed as 9.6" even though it has 1.5" lift - the ground clearance spec is dictated by the rear diff ground clearance (solid axle). Need to go with bigger wheels to increase that.

Also the siting position is typical Tacoma/4runner position. The body sits high on the frame, again something that greatly helps these trucks off road.

Anyhow, for any even semi serious off-roading 4runner will eat Ascent for lunch. It's a truck.

Yes, the Ascent has 8.7" of GC and it's the Pathfinder that I was referring to, which is what the Ascent was benchmarked against, since the Pathfinder is now a unibody-construction, TVM engine FWD layout, with cobbled-on AWD.

The 4Runner is in a whole other class, and was only mentioned because Adoniram had requested I check it out.

Yes, the Ascent has 8.7" of GC and it's the Pathfinder that I was referring to, which is what the Ascent was benchmarked against, since the Pathfinder is now a unibody-construction, TVM engine FWD layout, with cobbled-on AWD.

The 4Runner is in a whole other class, and was only mentioned because Adoniram had requested I check it out.

It's all my fault :lol: