LegacyGT.com

rear lock

On my '98 Legacy the hatch lock will lock with the automatic (in the front door) button or the key. However, it will not unlock.

Looking inside the door, the mechanism is solidly attached but for some reason the key will not turn it far enough. The rod also seems to be in good order. The spare key won't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Replace the assembly. It isn't obvious just looking at it but the mechanism rusts over. When I told my mechanic that I couldn't figure out why the hell my hatch wouldn't unlock since everything looked fine, he laughed. He said they kept those mechanisms in stock because it's a common issue.

Thank You. After taking the hatch half apart, the problem seems to be the electrical lock mechanism. The mechanism will lock OK but will not travel far enough to fully disengage the lock.

Is there a way to manually trip the lock in order to get the hatch open?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem is mechanical and not electrical.

The problem is that the hand latch doesn't return to the full/correct position and the lock mechanism is not allowed to unlock.

By pushing the outside latch in to the full return position, the key will unlock it.

Greasing and oiling the whole mechanism didn't help much as there is a wear step/point that prevents the lock from operating smoothly until the latch is pushed in.

I hope this helps someone avoid as much trouble as I had.

The problem is that the hand latch doesn't return to the full/correct position and the lock mechanism is not allowed to unlock.

yep.

known problem, sorry i did not see your post originally so i couuld save you some time and trouble.

good work on finding the cause.

The problem is mechanical and not electrical.

By pushing the outside latch in to the full return position, the key will unlock it.

Greasing and oiling the whole mechanism didn't help much as there is a wear step/point that prevents the lock from operating smoothly until the latch is pushed in.

I hope this helps someone avoid as much trouble as I had.

i have this same problem. the latch handle will stay in the open position until you push it to the closed position manually..

its like a door handle staying flared out and not auto-snapping back to closed...

maybe its a spring... i havent looked yet

• 6 months later...

i think i found a quick semi permanent solution to this pesky problem. the point where the arm connects to the hatch handle/lever is an eye/banjo bolt type thing threaded onto the top of the arm. use a small screwdriver to pry it loose from the plastic grommet. it looks like there is a washer there, but it is a one piece grommet. assuming there is room to thread the bolt down the arm toward the lock, do so, leaving as much thread as possible sticking out the top. pop it back in, done.

like said earlier pushing the lever in usually allows the weakened rusty lever to return to position to unlock. this just puts it that much closer to begin with. it works so far on mine, which is about as rusty and old as possible from seven minnesota winters.

Archived