LegacyGT.com

Tightening Lugnuts

jc51373

I want to buy a reasonably priced Wrench that makes it easy to get my lugs on and off..That is not air powered. My compressor won't run automotive air tools. Just want something that will torque them down to spec easily that is not ridiculously expensive. Just want to know if there is a specialty tool out there anyone owns and has experience with they can recommend.

I am using this for my Caliper painting and I figure I will invest in a wrench so I can rotate my tires myself instead of paying $15 for it.

Tool should pay for itself depending how much it costs.

THX!:)

Rally folding lug wrench FTW. Or, get a torque wrench.

Nice thanks PatGT! I will look it up. Anyone else, recommendations are welcome.

Hey question for ya. Does FTW mean what I think, or is it something else?

Eff the world!

Thanks man

tq wrench is gona be about $250

tire rack has a tq wrench for $30 i bet its a typo. if not, i would not buy it

i have Gorilla Extendable Power Wrench Set 1721 that i dont use. i would sell it. its probably not worth my time shipping it:lol:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/tools/tools_all.jsp there is the link for the rest of the tire rack stuff. lots of other ppl make similar peices

I broke down and bought a cordless impact wrench rated at 170 Ft./lbs. It has a 1/2" Drive so it makes it ideal for taking on & off the stock lugnuts and my MacGard Lugnuts and Locks.

I start the the lugnuts by hand and tighten them "gently" with the impact wrench and finish them off with a Torque Wrench.

It makes rotating tires and switching from summer & winter set rims a breeze!!...

I bought mine at PepBoys for $80.00, but there are cheaper ones out there...

hope that helps....

~Sucka-Duck~

Nice thanks PatGT! I will look it up. Anyone else, recommendations are welcome.

Hey question for ya. Does FTW mean what I think, or is it something else?

Eff the world!

Thanks man

FTW = for the win.

I keep one of these in each car (stock lug wrenches don't help you much with aftermarket lugs):

http://data.solidcactus.com/cjimages/autobarn/ral90796.gif

Add a good torque wrench - $75 is enough to buy one - and an air impact or cordless impact and you can tackle most any job on the car.

Great advice, thanks guys...

I check out the ones at Tirerack.com. I like the ones that click, but they are pricey. I wonder what that cheapy is all about. Might have to try it out. You figure, if you can rotate your tires on two car (average family) you save about $15 bucks a car, three times a year (on average).

$15+$15=$30x3=$90 annually. The good one pays for itself in 4 years. This is of course ignoring you own labor costs into the equation. But whos splittin hairs.

If you look at it that way, the good one is not a bad investment. But a little bit of a hit.

I have a porter cable compressor, but I don't think the CFM is high enough to run Auto tools. It runs my framer and finish guns well, but thats it.

You would never know I wear a suit and tie to work everyday with all the tools I own. I just know nothing about Auto tools, but I like gettin my hands dirty and saving $$.

Tire-cross-bar for removal, and a torque wrench for final tightening... that's what I use (if I am too lazy to plug in the air compressor).

Edit: Pat beat me to the pic, but his is fancier.. I just have a plain cross-bar (not the folding style).

Edit2: Bigger air compressors can be had pretty cheap, too... try www.harborfreight.com

Sometimes having a good tool in your hands is worth more than the money it costs...

:ahem: That didn't come out right... what I'm trying to say is that in a lot of cases it's not worth trying to justify the cost... a good torque wrench is a good example. Get a good one & you'll be glad you spent the money.

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

"For the win", HAHA, LOL! Here I am thinking it meant something else.

Schwin, I would consider a bigger compressor, but my garage is already having storage issues. I am sure I would find reasons to use it over the years, but I want other things before that. I will look around at auto-parts stores for different prices on a torque wrench. I like that thing PatGt has though for loosening them up.

My buddy used to be a Lexus Tech and now he is a realtor, maybe I can capitalize on his vulnerability and offer to buy his (if he has one). He kept all his old MAC tools and bench and everything, wife wants him to sell it, he won't part with it. She will never understand. But I don't know he invested in one of these because he never handtightened many things.

Sometimes having a good tool in your hands is worth more than the money it costs...

:ahem: That didn't come out right... what I'm trying to say is that in a lot of cases it's not worth trying to justify the cost... a good torque wrench is a good example. Get a good one & you'll be glad you spent the money.

Being someone who does alot of building type projects I couldn't agree more!

I am heavily invested in construction tools. Hilti drills, porter cable compressor, Maxx nailers, etc....If you saw my contruction tools you would never think I was just a homeowner, so I will probably break-down and take this advice. There is nothing like buying a tool that last forever, it becomes part of your life. You go to battle together, and the tool earns it's keep over the years.

I have a Panasonic cordless drill (I know what you are thinking...Panasonic??), they make the best cordless drills on the market-trust me. And this thing has been through hell and back, used, dropped, and abused, and it still works like a charm. Good tools are usually worth every penny. :)

Sears Craftsman #44562, normally $65 but you can almost always find it for at least 10% off. 1/2" drive, goes from 20-150 ft-lb w/ metric markings as well so it will handle most any torque job on your car, including those pesky strut bolts. Use it til it breaks (figure around 5 years), then throw it away and get another one. It costs more to fix/recalibrate one than it does to replace it.

I own this compressor - it runs all my nailers with ease, plus all the air tools I have. The exception is running the air ratchet on spring compressors - it takes 2-3 cycles to do one corner of the car. :(

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000067A4C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Anybody local want a small compressor?? :icon_bigg

I am thinking of a torque wrench for the wheels as well. My concern is about calibration- ya generally get what ya pay for. Anybody have any ideas on the accuracy of the various torque wrenches out there, and how hard or more appropriately expensive is it to get these rascals calibrated?

I own this compressor - it runs all my nailers with ease, plus all the air tools I have. The exception is running the air ratchet on spring compressors - it takes 2-3 cycles to do one corner of the car. :(

Thats the same one I have! So you are saying this will run a gun to take the wheels off? Which gun do you have?

Thats the same one I have! So you are saying this will run a gun to take the wheels off? Which gun do you have?

i dont see how these $10 tq wrenches can be close to acurate.

a compressor that small will run an impact gun, for about 5 seconds. im not sure on the numbers but my 12 gallon air compressor works an impact gun ok. after 2 wheels it kicks back on

You would be surprised at the CFM on that little porter cable. A complressor can have all the capacity in the world and no CFM. Not saying capacity does not matter, but I have had bigger tanks with crap for CFM. This little bugger is rock solid

I use this torque wrench ($10)...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=239

Harbor Freight FTW. ;)

Dayamm that's cheap! And it has a lifetime warranty too!?! Craftsman TQs have a 1-year warranty. Even Snap-On TQs have a lifetime warranty on the ratchet only - the calibration warranty is 1 year. Also, WRT accuracy this TQ is pretty much the same as the Craftsman/Snap-On. Finally, why buy the more expensive one? There are plenty of times you need to torque something to 10-20 ft-lbs, but how many times do you need to torque something over 150 ft-lbs?

Archived