LegacyGT.com

Sound Deadening project

Dntk

Did a sound deadening job on the LGT. Used Rattle Trap sound deadening (75 Sq Ft for 150$) was able to get all 4 doors, floor and most of the trunk. Also did above the back seat to help with the vibration there. I also put in Alpine R-Spec 6" speakers in all the doors (component in the front).

The install took about 12-14 hours. I kinda broke up the dismantling part of the job throughout the week so it's hard to really tell. It was time consuming but not very difficult, this was my first sound deadening job I've ever done.

The good:

I don't hear much road noise anymore, just the wind

Going over bumps and closing doors sounds more solid

Stereo sounds great!

Holds the bass in the car well, I assume other drives around me don't have to deal with it as much. BIG difference from closed doors/windows to open doors/widows

The bad:

Rattle Trap smells like tar for awhile, it does go away eventually.

IMG_0810.thumb.jpg.550da552fda99ace8cdb7cb40f4cf32d.jpg

IMG_0811.thumb.jpg.b75a0fb6ac473626ff0dcd10dd991108.jpg

IMG_0812.thumb.JPG.14c51cc7e3a61a6da51f74d242b672b6.JPG

IMG_0813.thumb.JPG.3facf920da502e13c4b67085beaebbb2.JPG

IMG_0814.thumb.jpg.20831471cc2cc96b2417f9b3ad2f5f23.jpg

is this different than some of the threads i've read where you aren't supposed to just blanket the car with the stuff, but put it in diagonal patterns and stuff? i remember reading some thread written by a sound engineer...

Nice job!

Given how much quieter the car is now, was it worth the hassle of removing the interior? And, how much of a PITA was removing and re-installing the carpet. That's always my biggest concern.

Removing the carpet wasn't to bad, getting the pieces of trim back on during the re-assembly job was the most annoying part, I still have a cup full of plastic clips that I have no idea where they came from.

I'll say it was worth it, when I drive all you can hear is the exhaust and wind now, going over bumps has a nice satisfying thump too. Although I'll probably never do this to another car ever again lol.

I bet the smell comes back on really hot days though.

The smell hasn't come back, it's been about 95 for a few days every week all June.... Of course I might just not notice it anymore.

is this different than some of the threads i've read where you aren't supposed to just blanket the car with the stuff, but put it in diagonal patterns and stuff? i remember reading some thread written by a sound engineer...

Obviously the more you use, the "better" but there is a point of diminishing returns where the extra time/effort/weight/cost does not merit any meaningful benefits.

A lot of it also depends on what material you are using. If you're applying the thin, weighty stuff that's meant to remove vibrations (the stuff I put on my car was dAmplifier) then you don't need to coat the entire surface. Just strategically placed squares on all of the major surfaces will do a very good job - that material is not really meant to absorb sounds. The thicker sound-insulating matting though - that stuff can obviously make a bigger difference the more of it you add, since any spaces where you don't put any, the sound will come through.

At least that's my understanding.

Archived