LegacyGT.com

Is this how deep the rear main seal should be?

Mine is still the original one, never been replaced. I look it over every time I split the tranny from the motor (3x so far). Should be flush with the engine case or just below. That is the way mine came from the factory.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Well hmmmmm. Wired that the fsm didn't mention anything about it. Though it my fsm for my 97 lgt. Then again when I searched online for pictures some were deep some were not. Worse case it leaks or I mangal it out of there and get a new one.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

PM Underdog , Quote from his other post in another thead. He should be able to tell you if it make a difference.

I think it's more likely you have internal engine damage (cracked piston) than the blown turbo, although there is no reason to say the turbo is not also damaged. Typical symptoms for blown turbo are lack of power, metal screeching "under boost", smoking, etc. Cracked ringland symptoms are rough/not running engine and can-of-marbles.

I have been through this before and would be happy to look at the car for you if you'd prefer to bring it to a Subaru enthusiast shop rather than a dealership. I have two spare shortblocks in stock that can be built up however you like. I'm not TOO far from SW Maine.

__

Rick Wood

Underdog Motorsports, LLC

p: (857) 600-2457

e: underdog2457@gmail.com

Hours: M-F 8AM-6PM

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Thanks for posting the pictures Mike.

I didn't spend a lot of time looking at mine, but I do recall it being flush or just below.

I'm thinking the OP's is to deep and will miss the sealing surface on the crank.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I learned the hard way that it needs to be flush. I had mine pushed in a bit too far and as soon as I started the engine, oil poured all over the ground. I guess it was for the best since I forgot to install a pilot bearing and taking the transmission out again allowed me to do that.

Archived