LegacyGT.com

Rear hatch doesn't like to be closed

I was hoping that this was a common problem, but my searching has come up dry.

About a month ago I closed the back hatch on my 05 Wagon and it just shuddered and popped back up :eek:, I figured that something was hanging out but it wasn't. I tried again a little more gently and it still wouldn't close. Upon examining the latch mechanism it was still in its closed position! Using my finger I pushed it back to the open position and the door shut fine.

Now every time open the door the latch only opens half way. It WILL close now, if you slam it (though it make me cring!) and it works fine if you push the latch open. All of the plastic that coats the metal latch has chipped off now from the first time trying to close it. It seems to work freely and appears to have plenty of grease on it, it just does not want to open all of the way.

Any ideas? A better question might be, on your hatches can you still move the latch further open?

Thanks!

Nic

I haven't had nor heard of anyone having this problem yet. perhaps you need to have the latch changed out?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I am willing to bet you bent something in the latch mechanism that first time you found the latch closed AFTER trying to close the tailgate. No doubt the closed latch slammed against the strike (when the tailgate didn't shut). I did this once when I closed the latch by hand when trying to find a place to secure a bunge cord when needing to drive with the tailgate partially open.
It is still ugly.

Archived