LegacyGT.com

Minidisc - convert to iPod in?

chimera

My LGT has a mini-disc player, which I never use. Does anyone know if there is any device I can plug in which has a cable that hangs out / input port that I can plug my iPhone into to play music through? Surely wouldn't be hard converting iP*** (or even just an audio jack) into audio through a mini disc? Does anyone know if there is a device out there that does this?

hahahaaa :-) yeah i noticed the AUX and pressing it does nothing (I'd expect it to change to AUX and sit doing nothing, but it doesn't even do that) - I gotta rip the unit out and check the rear of it out I guess...(there is a 12V in the center console, no audio jack though) The benefits of getting JDM imports here in NZL I guess... if I can get AUX going I'll be stoked...

The aux button won't do anything unless you have something plugged into the aux jack, wherever it might be. (Center console?)

I suspect there is nothing plugged into the aux input of the head unit at all. Will update as soon as I've ripped my unit out, TGIF...

I ordered the OEM aux unit for mine about a month ago, seriously handy. All up it cost about $160 from a Subaru dealership for the input in the center console and all of the wiring to behind the unit.

Kind of pricey but that's what you pay for OEM, and due to the connections behind the unit I'm guessing there aren't many other options that you have to utilise the "aux" button.

I ordered the OEM aux unit for mine about a month ago, seriously handy. All up it cost about $160 from a Subaru dealership for the input in the center console and all of the wiring to behind the unit.

Kind of pricey but that's what you pay for OEM, and due to the connections behind the unit I'm guessing there aren't many other options that you have to utilise the "aux" button

Thanks mate, good to know theres an easy (even if slightly more costly) back up solution if this unit doesn't work (they did provide money back guarantee if it doesn't work with my unit, hence why I bought it!)

The "AUX device" turned up, interestingly though its not selected via the AUX button on the head unit. In fact, still pushing AUX does nothing. However clicking MODE on the steering wheel eventually changes the head unit LCD display to "CH" and plays music off the iPhone. Only other gripe with it, I can't change tracks from the steering wheel - have to use the track button on the head unit. Otherwise works a treat.

This is not my actual head unit... just a pic of what it looks like...

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/full/259058687.jpg

But now I'm confused on what the AUX button actually selects...?!

Can you post a photo of the AUX input (or a link to the item) product that you received?

Traditionally, AUX inputs are simply a 3.5mm jack into which you plug in the audio cable from an MP3 player or other device. There is no communication between the head unit and the source via this cable.

EDIT: Sorry, is this what you got? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=585612904

EDIT again: That unit uses a plug I wasn't familiar with, they're different on JDM/AUDM radios. So yes, there is communication on that connector. I don't know why, I was confusing it with the power/speaker plug.

Are you sure there's no AUX jack in the center bin between the seats or in the glove box? I'm surprised Subaru would install a radio with the button but no connector. The AUX won't do anything until it detects a device plugged into the 3.5mm jack.

yes image above is what i bought.

I'm surprised that using the track controls on the head unit does anything as I don't believe that head unit has a way to communicate with an external source

I would have thought it would simply trigger the same response as "next / previous track" on the head unit, so would have been irrelevant of the device plugged into it.

For the AUX button to work, it appears that you need a different cable from Subaru. Why they have an AUX button with no AUX jack in the car I don't know. Are you sure there's no AUX jack in the center console between the seats?

Yes absolutely positive. There is a 12V cigarette lighter type plug under the center console lid and a blank plastic panel under it, but no 3.5mm audio jack.

You're right about the device control, I edited my post as you were replying. I didn't recognize that connector as our SAT/iPOD connectors are different, I think...

It looks like the blank plastic panel is where the AUX jack would be if it came on the car. A device needs to be plugged into this jack for the AUX function to work.

Ok thanks.

What is more interesting then, is if I plug the audio jack (which also comes with the device I bought) into the top of the iPhone and hit play on the music, selecting AUX still doesn't work.

But it works (under a different mode - CHR not AUX) on the head unit with the Apple plug connected at the bottom of the iPhone OR the jack plugged in at the top of the phone.

Two different physical inputs.

The AUX button on the head unit, at least in North American models, has its own input on the back of the head unit. It's smaller but similar in pin design to the one pictured above, I think about 6 pins.

It connects between the back of the head unit and the 3.5mm jack that would be where the blank plate is in the center bin. When a device is connected to this, the jack senses it and signals to the head unit that there's something there and the AUX function would become selectable.

Two different physical inputs.

The AUX button on the head unit, at least in North American models, has its own input on the back of the head unit. It's smaller but similar in pin design to the one pictured above, I think about 6 pins.

It connects between the back of the head unit and the 3.5mm jack that would be where the blank plate is in the center bin. When a device is connected to this, the jack senses it and signals to the head unit that there's something there and the AUX function would become selectable.

Yeah you're right, JDM is the same as USDM. Unless you have the factory aux input and cable then you can't utilise the "Aux" button. Not much of a problem if you can use "CHR" anyways.

Archived