LegacyGT.com

JL 300/4 Overheating!

newbwrx

Something happened today to my JL 300/4 amp.

I decided to recalibrate my Cleansweep, to see if it would make the Ipod and Sat Radio sound better. After about 1 1/2 hours, I went to the back of the car and noticed that the Thermal light on the amp was lit, and it was so hot, that I could barely touch it. Any thoughts?:confused:

mine is under my matt and wagon lid above my wheel and ive never had that problem. if you need another one, i have one for sale.

Mine is mounted in the back of the wagon lid also. No problems for over a year, then all of the sudden, massive heat! I didn't touch anything, just recalibrated the Cleansweep. Do you think that the two things are related?:confused:

I doubt that the recalibration of the CleanSweep has anything to do with it.

1.5 hours at what listening level?

Most people don't notice when their Slash amps thermal because they don't shut down, they just roll back power until they cool down.

I doubt that the recalibration of the CleanSweep has anything to do with it.

1.5 hours at what listening level?

Most people don't notice when their Slash amps thermal because they don't shut down, they just roll back power until they cool down.

This is my control for Master Volume and RBC.

http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1272

Neither one has ever been turned past 50%. I have it set with the indicating mark set vertical most of the time. With the HU volume, I generally never listen to music past 10-12. When I listen to the Ipod or satellite radio, volume is controlled entirely by the Master Volume control. Again, never past the straight vertical mark.

Thanks for chiming in Manville:)

Ok, I decided to do a test today. I turned on the system and played a CD with the Master Control Knob at it's lowest setting, turned the HU volume to 3 and opened the back hatch about 4" to allow airlflow. The amp warmed up slowly and about 45 minutes into playing went Thermal.:confused:

Ok, I decided to do a test today. I turned on the system and played a CD with the Master Control Knob at it's lowest setting, turned the HU volume to 3 and opened the back hatch about 4" to allow airlflow. The amp warmed up slowly and about 45 minutes into playing went Thermal.:confused:

:confused:

If the amp thermalled without producing any output then there is definitely something wrong with it. Something haywire in the bias circuits, probably.

Contact your dealer or JL Audio customer service to arrange for service.

Archived