LegacyGT.com

Help with purchase of 05 LGT wagons

Shogun506

I've always been interested in these cars and am looking at picking up an LGT wagon next month. There are 2 wagons I'm looking at. Both are high mileage (would love to get a lower mileage vehicle but selection is terrible here!) and both are 2005 limited models which I absolutely want.

All figures in KM and CAD$

1) White LGT wagon, 5spd manual, 190xxxkm. Lowered on coilovers with COBB stage 1, comes on stock rims with winter tires, has dime sized rust on rear left quarter panel and apparently some extremely slight paint bubbling on the rear passenger door. Timing belt done around 183km. Fuel injector #3 and right side valve covers replaced last year. Original turbo. Owner is taking offers but wants around $11000.

2) Blue LGT wagon, automatic, 219xxxkm. Stock with new recent turbo. No rust or damage. Haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet so I don't have much more info on this one but will take a thorough look at it before any major decisions. Asking $5900.

I really want a manual but for that price the auto makes a good argument. So is it suicide to buy such a high mileage LGT? What types of components generally start to fail around this point? Is that a fair price for #1 given its mileage? What should I be focusing on before buying them? Any help is mighty appreciated thanks!

I would shy away from the cheaper one that's had the turbo replaced. Typically, the turbos aren't replaced in these cars until they've already done their damage to the rest of the motor, which is about the time one actually becomes aware that they need to be serviced. Get the more expensive one and replace the turbo straight away. Budget another $75-100 for a catless UP while you're there, too, just in case it hasn't been done.

Ok so you're saying as long as it's taken care of and doesn't have any issues it's not too crazy to buy an LGT with 190+ km then? Is the price range fair for a car with that many kms or is the guy asking too much? It seems sedans and non-GT wagons are much more common around here for sale and are much better priced but the lack of space on the sedans really makes it much less practical for me.

Archived