LegacyGT.com

Problem (w/ video) - transmission / drivetrain noise

• Moderators

Well, convinced the wife that we should take the wagon to PA this weekend instead of the van. We left tonight--uneventful drive until we were about 30 minutes out from Royersford, PA when a clicking noise started to show up while in 5th or 6th gear. Fast forward, and the noise now occurs in every gear.

-It is pretty constant in volume

-The speed of the clicking is directly related to the speed of the car, not the engine

-Not much tactile sensation through the shifter, although you can feel that something is going on

-Sound is akin to sticking a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel; has that kind of general "feel" to it.

Since the 6mt was recently put it, I'm thinking it's some sort of issue with the reverse lockout cable making contact with the driveshaft. If anyone has any input I would really appreciate it given that I'm about 200 miles from home.

Also, if anyone is in the Royersford, PA area and can lend a hand, or more importantly a jack / pair of ramps, that would be awesome. I feel like I need to get the car up and take a look underneath before driving back on Monday, thanks!

Video of the noise:

http://s934.photobucket.com/user/BarManBean/media/358DB5D2-F479-427D-B4D2-FAE5A72825BE-59611-00004CEB9EBF4820_zpsb6e9a09f.mp4.html

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
Or if you want to drive the 20 minutes to Gilbertsville you can jack it up in my driveway

If you have tools and whatnot at your place I may just do that. While I'd prefer not to drive it, I don't think any damage is going on and jacking it up here really won't do me much good since I don't really have any tools.

Trying to listen, but photosuckit keeps saying "buffering." FRUSTRATING!

OK... heard like 4 seconds of it.. does sound more like an attached component vibrating... might be your lockout cable, could be some other light weight but vibration-prone component shaking like a heat shield or the o2 sensor wire rattling on the head shield or something dumb like that...

I'm literally the whole way across the state so I'm no help to you as far as diag or resolution goes... from the video it sounds less internal (gears and whatnot) than external (cables, etc) though, if it makes you feel any better.

OK I listened more...

Uncertain now.

Mine was making a similar noise. I replaced the whole d@mn thing. It isn't making noise anymore.

:shrug:

I sure hope your output shaft bearings haven't gone to crap on you.

Jack stands are in your future, if only for proper and thorough diagnosis... I know I'd be freaking out if it were me.

Wait for more opinions.

• Moderators
OK I listened more...

Uncertain now.

Mine was making a similar noise. I replaced the whole d@mn thing. It isn't making noise anymore.

:shrug:

I sure hope your output shaft bearings haven't gone to crap on you.

Jack stands are in your future, if only for proper and thorough diagnosis... I know I'd be freaking out if it were me.

Wait for more opinions.

Yeah, we'll see. It's really a pronounce noise that pretty much came out of no where. Within 5 miles it went from non-existent to completely there.

Not sure if bearings go that quickly? Either way Andrewtech just put the transmission in so hopefully they can help out a bit if needed.

Best thing is to get it on a lift and run it through the gears while you listen from below.

From the Spec B 6MT diagnostic table

Symptom

3. Noise emitted from transmission

NOTE: If a noise is heard when the vehicle is parked with its engine idling and ceases when the clutch is disengaged, it may be considered that the noise is coming from the transmission.

Possible Cause and Corrective Action

(a) Insufficient or improper lubrication Replenish or replace with the specified amount of recommended oil. Replenish or replace with the specified amount of recommended oil.

(b) Worn or damaged gears and bearings

NOTE: If the trouble is only wear of the gear teeth surfaces, only a high whirring noise will occur at high speeds, but if any part is broken, rhythmical clicking sounds will be heard even at low speeds. Replace broken parts.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Moderators
Well, Rester and possibly Ruggerheist are going to help out in the morning. Hoping to find something obvious then--if not then I'm unfortunately going to start to lean towards something output-related. It never ends, really--it never ends.

• Moderators
Best thing is to get it on a lift and run it through the gears while you listen from below.

From the Spec B 6MT diagnostic table

Symptom

3. Noise emitted from transmission

NOTE: If a noise is heard when the vehicle is parked with its engine idling and ceases when the clutch is disengaged, it may be considered that the noise is coming from the transmission.

Possible Cause and Corrective Action

(a) Insufficient or improper lubrication Replenish or replace with the specified amount of recommended oil. Replenish or replace with the specified amount of recommended oil.

(b) Worn or damaged gears and bearings

NOTE: If the trouble is only wear of the gear teeth surfaces, only a high whirring noise will occur at high speeds, but if any part is broken, rhythmical clicking sounds will be heard even at low speeds. Replace broken parts.

Thanks for that info. If nothing is obvious I'll probably have to try and get it somewhere on Monday. Knowing how most good shops are so booked up though, I'm not hopeful--unfortunately the most reasonable thing going through my head is to get it towed back down to Andrewtech (expensive) and I'll be force to get a rental car of some sort. Awesome.

Good luck man. Hope it's something as simple as a something that has lodged between the under shield and the driveshaft and rubs against a U-Joint / shaft part when the trans flexes under load. Check every crack and crevice under the car that is near any external rotating part.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Got your PM. I'd like to put your mind at ease & say it's your lockout cable rubbing the driveshaft... but of course I can't be 100% sure. It sounded exactly like that when I had my trouble--wheel-speed-dependent, not engine speed. Does it go away when you change gears? My noise was prevalent in 1, 3, and 5, IIRC. It just depends on how your cable is oriented.

In fact, my noise has come back recently, and very quietly, but it's there. I just haven't gotten under the car to address it. I bought spiral wrap over a month ago but never installed it. The wrap should secure the cable securely without binding like a too-tight zip tie.

Also... if it's making contact with any amount of force on it, like mine was, you want to clear it up quickly. I fixed mine following a 3- or 4-mile, 30-40 mph test ride after installing the new cable, and the damage surprised me. 20 miles & I probably would have needed a new cable.

Good luck man!

Tits mcgee

• Moderators
Got your PM. I'd like to put your mind at ease & say it's your lockout cable rubbing the driveshaft... but of course I can't be 100% sure. It sounded exactly like that when I had my trouble--wheel-speed-dependent, not engine speed. Does it go away when you change gears? My noise was prevalent in 1, 3, and 5, IIRC. It just depends on how your cable is oriented.

In fact, my noise has come back recently, and very quietly, but it's there. I just haven't gotten under the car to address it. I bought spiral wrap over a month ago but never installed it. The wrap should secure the cable securely without binding like a too-tight zip tie.

Also... if it's making contact with any amount of force on it, like mine was, you want to clear it up quickly. I fixed mine following a 3- or 4-mile, 30-40 mph test ride after installing the new cable, and the damage surprised me. 20 miles & I probably would have needed a new cable.

Good luck man!

Thanks for the reply, somewhat encouraging at least.

Alright, I'm not gonna flip out until I get a look at things tomorrow. In general I'm past the point of flipping out with this car anyway (if it breaks I'll likely just fix it), but damn I was really feeling like things were just about perfect. Go figure!

• Moderators

Obvious problem was obvious--lockout cable was making contact with the driveshaft. Some damage to the cable, but overall not too bad.

For now I just adjusted the shifter to pull the cable up a good bit and will have to figure out a better solution for the underside of the car in the future.

Thanks everyone for the help, especially to Rester for stopping by early this morning!

Archived