LegacyGT.com

oil change questions

Change it at 3500-3750, check it between oil changes and top it off as needed.

Any oil change place is as good as the next.

Personally, at 57y/o, I have never used one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you are going to have it done, start looking in your local papers and adds for discount coupons. Can really save some if you don't do your own. I'm with Max C, I have never used one at 54YO.
If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

Just did mine yesterday. Took like 15 minutes. Used Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic High performance. Says it doesnt need changed every 15,000 but being a turbo engine its gonna make it dirty faster with higher heat. So I'll probably just change it at 7-8k. While toppingit off if needed of coarse.

Is your legacy turbo or naturally aspirated? Generally speaking with a turbo I'd say no more than 5k, NA no more than 7.5k, maybe a little longer depending on what oil you use. Personally I'd either go to the dealer first, independent shop second, and somewhere like valvoline or jiffy lube as a last resort.

Just did mine yesterday. Took like 15 minutes. Used Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic High performance. Says it doesnt need changed every 15,000 but being a turbo engine its gonna make it dirty faster with higher heat. So I'll probably just change it at 7-8k. While toppingit off if needed of coarse.

I see your fairly new here, what weight Mobil 1 did you use ? Don't tell me it was the 5w-30.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

7-8k on an 05 between oil changes? Let us know how that works for you. I've had the car for a little under 4000 miles and I've changed oil twice already. Cheap insurance. Rotella 5-40 is what seems to be the consensus on best oil around here. Use oem filters and get some spare crush washers for the drain plug.

Fumoto drain valve, and any name brand oil filter.

There a few of us that use Amsoil with there filters and go a little longer on OCI, I've settled in on 5000 miles. My DD is 90% highway.

7-8k on an 05 between oil changes? Let us know how that works for you. I've had the car for a little under 4000 miles and I've changed oil twice already. Cheap insurance. Rotella 5-40 is what seems to be the consensus on best oil around here. Use oem filters and get some spare crush washers for the drain plug.

Yes, 7-8k on a 05 if its naturally aspirated. I can provide countless uoa's to back up my opinion if you'd like.

It works awesome, 15k OCI, Amsoil 0w-30 SSO & Ea oil filters. Stage 2, 18.5 peak boost. Almost 204k on original motor & VF-40 turbo.

Get to know a local guy, they can be real good people know. I use amsoil, change every 6-8,000. The oil is rated for 25k.

Depends on which Amsoil motor oil & Ea oil filters you are using. The 25k oil in for Normal Service (basically N\A motors) driving conditions. Turbos or force induction motors. Fall under Server Service. The same is now rated for 15K & oil with Ea oil filters.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/azo.aspx

SERVICE LIFE

AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline-fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• In all non-gasoline-fueled vehicle applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

A lot of people have issues (real or imagined) with Mobil 5-30. I would bet Mobil 1 5-30 Extended Performance is just fine.

At the moment im using the 5-50w from mobil 1 for a fairly hot country. And my engine is a bit shaky.

What kind of problems are users experiencing with a5-30w oil?

Archived