LegacyGT.com

Your not going to believe this - CEL from change in tire size

Qship

I can't decide between being furious and roflmao. hmmmm... Ok I'll be furious.

I just got off the phone with the service dept. at Bill Kolb Jr. Subaru. I'm going to be putting 215/50/17s on and the revs/mile are much closer to a 215/45/18, like the Spec B, than the stock. I did a search last night and found:

"This is true the ECM (on the Legacy 2.5GT) has a choise of 17" or 18" wheels that can be changed with the Subaru Select Monitor tool at the dealer. It only allows for a selection of 17" or 18" not for exact tire sizes (like setting it specifically for 245/35R18 or 225/40R18, etc.) so in order for it to be accurate, you would need to select a size that most closely matches the stock sizes. Those are 215/45R17 in the 17" size and 215/45R18 in the 18" size."

I thought this would be a good idea so I wouldn't have to keep reminding my wife that the speedo reads low each time she takes the car. It will me keep out of trouble too. So I called up Bill Kolb Jr to find out what they would charge me to do this. Not only did they say it couldn't be done :icon_evil "theres no way to do that" but I was told it would cause a CEL since the engine and tranmission are computer controlled. Really I had no idea. :rolleyes: Can you believe this?

Now I want all of you to go to a window and scream Bill Kolb Jr. Subarau ~!#^%%#%&*@#!@#@! and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!. Does anybody remember Network?

Sorry for the rant. I'll go back to banging my head against the wall now.....

:lol: Best post EVAR! :lol:

Thanks for the laughs, bro!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i farted once, and the CEL came on. the dealer told me my computer thought the world was ending

^ Hey, brotha, with our LGTs, that just MIGHT cause it to throw a CEL.

Certainly, it's an indication of my internal cats being insufficient! p0420, anyone? Definitely after Taco Bell!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I just got off the phone with the service dept. at Bill Kolb Jr. Subaru. too. So I called up Bill Kolb Jr to find out what they would charge me to do this. Not only did they say it couldn't be done :icon_evil "theres no way to do that" but I was told it would cause a CEL since the engine and tranmission are computer controlled. Really I had no idea. :rolleyes: Can you believe this?

Now I want all of you to go to a window and scream Bill Kolb Jr. Subarau ~!#^%%#%&*@#!@#@! and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!. Does anybody remember Network?

Man, I hate the place. I've ranted in many posts about their scumbag ways. Here's the thing. On their custom versions like the GTX, THEY offer 18"s as an option. So, I think you should bring that up to them. Feel free to search for my many rants on why Kolb is a scumbag. They're big on saying "can't be done" & "only thru us". Here are some of my rants about them. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20947 http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20865&page=2&pp=15 Just to give you an idea.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I can't decide between being furious and roflmao. hmmmm... Ok I'll be furious.

I just got off the phone with the service dept. at Bill Kolb Jr. Subaru. I'm going to be putting 215/50/17s on and the revs/mile are much closer to a 215/45/18, like the Spec B, than the stock. I did a search last night and found:

"This is true the ECM (on the Legacy 2.5GT) has a choise of 17" or 18" wheels that can be changed with the Subaru Select Monitor tool at the dealer. It only allows for a selection of 17" or 18" not for exact tire sizes (like setting it specifically for 245/35R18 or 225/40R18, etc.) so in order for it to be accurate, you would need to select a size that most closely matches the stock sizes. Those are 215/45R17 in the 17" size and 215/45R18 in the 18" size."

I thought this would be a good idea so I wouldn't have to keep reminding my wife that the speedo reads low each time she takes the car. It will me keep out of trouble too. So I called up Bill Kolb Jr to find out what they would charge me to do this. Not only did they say it couldn't be done :icon_evil "theres no way to do that" but I was told it would cause a CEL since the engine and tranmission are computer controlled. Really I had no idea. :rolleyes: Can you believe this?

Sorry for the rant. I'll go back to banging my head against the wall now.....

Next thing you know they'll tell you tire pressure monitors will cause your car to throw a CEL. :icon_tong

MUTHAF---ER I'm starting to get wound up again. Those Kolb people really are ridiculous. Thing is, for as many as there are out there like me who do some research & catch them in their bullshit, there are twice as many who believe them & get ripped off. Kolb used to have a ford dealer too, now it's called something else. I wonder if the subaru dealership is on it's way out too. We can only hope.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Guest *Jedimaster*
MUTHAF---ER I'm starting to get wound up again. Those Kolb people really are ridiculous. Thing is, for as many as there are out there like me who do some research & catch them in their bullshit, there are twice as many who believe them & get ripped off. Kolb used to have a ford dealer too, now it's called something else. I wonder if the subaru dealership is on it's way out too. We can only hope.

Don't forget their Eddie Boswer Explorer faisco :lol:

Just read this post and i want the 2 minutes of my life back

Nobody asked you :icon_tong

silly speedo calibration, screw that.. the analog speedo doesnt even read accurately enough for anyone to notice the difference in 2mph or 3mph (aka the 2% error margin that we all stay within tolerances).

What you are digging into is way too detailed to even be concerned about.. get whatever tire size you want so long as you follow the FAQ here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426

I run as big as 255/35/18 and 245/40/18 and I dont have CELs.. so yes, it's BS of what the service dept. is telling you about the speed and tach readings.. the only time when you get a CEL is when it's WAY out of range of what the ECM is looking for.. By then.. the CEL you will get is the "speed sensor voltage too low or too high" thinking the Speed sensor is faulty or broken because it's a lot of rpms and load, but no roll (hell, Subaru would have to be that smart to figure out how to program the ECU to know if the car is in-gear or not to know if you are just reving the motor with the clutch in standing in one place, hence the ECM is there to read voltage of the speed sensor only.. if it falls below 1v or above 5v, you'll get a CEL).. and if the kids at that dealership know, the voltages reads from 1v to 5v as I recalled for the speed sensor, and there is no way the ECM has the sophistication to read down to 0.001v accuracy. Even the OBD-II sensor readers I have dont go down that far in accuracy/tolerance.

Man, I should just work on cars for a living.

Keefe

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm not worried about nor do I expect to get a cel, well not from changing the wheels or tires. The point is that this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life, automotively speaking. I'm tired of bashing BKJS but according to other posts they themselves offer 18" wheels. Rao post #2 says it all.

Archived