LegacyGT.com

Beware of Blown Turbos?

Adrenaline

Ok, i found an 05 LGT Ltd. That i am pretty set on buying, but should i be worried that the turbo was "Weak" as they say, and replaced last week. Ive heard that the engines like to go soon after the turbo... Is there any way to make sure that wont be the case?

• Mega Users
Yes. You need to worry about whether there was bearing material from the previously blown turbo that was not flushed out properly or is accumulated in the oil cooler. If this is from a dealership, try to bargain for an extended warranty because of this. I wouldn't even consider buying it without an extended warranty, but they should pay for it since you know they just had a turbo failure.

Yeah its a dealership, but its not a Subaru dealer so they dont really care, or dont believe me. They just say," well we've had a lot of interest," so it doesnt matter to them if i want to bargain. Shopping around for these damn cars is really hard in this area. :(

Unless they give you a rebuild allowance, dont buy it. Its the metal bits in the system that make the engine fail and it doesnt take much. Unless you get a screaming deal (5k) and want to work on your car (yourself or shop), its not worth it.

Check the forums for engine rebuild costs. They vary, but expect to pay 2 - 5k to get a decent rebuild depending what else is "wrong" when they open up the engine.

As others have said, walk away. Expand your search. Look out of state. There are several cars posted on LGT.com and you probably are overdue for a road-trip anyways. :-)

Archived