LegacyGT.com

No boost, low power, no CEL

Hey there. So I just picked up a new-to-me OBXT with about 150k on it, with new head gaskets, water pump, timing belt, vf46, banjo filters removed, and a gutted up pipe per my request. Now I may look like a noob, but I’ve owned around 8 subarus out of my two dozen cars and currently have a hybrid swapped bugeye wagon, lifted XJ, and a passat dad wagon.

So here’s my issue: Yesterday, I drop off my buddy at his house, set the navigation for HF tools (had to pick up some spring compressors for my new LGT suspension) and drive the 2-3 miles with no issues. I hop back in the car, after going in the store, turn her on and everything is fine. She’s started and running fine and about .5 miles after she’s going again (coolant still warm) I boosted onto the highway (about 3.5-4.5k rpm.) Somewhere on the highway between about 4th and 5th gear I started noticing a huge lack of power. It felt like an NA again. So I search all over the forums and everyone is saying “you have a blown turbo” or “replace your banjo bolts” but this turbo is so new I don’t think anything could have happened to it. It goes on…

This morning, I open up the hood before I go to work, and checked the dipstick: It’s just barely on the damn dipstick, so I throw in a half quart I had in the back of the car and get it to the low mark. I limp it about .5 miles to the auto parts store and pick up some Rotella t6 (oil I always run in these turbos) and get the oil level good again. Keep in mind, I’ve only had the car for 1700 miles and have only had to top it off with a half quart of oil in the first 1500 miles, so this is a drastic increase in oil consumption. At this point I realize that something serious is probably wrong with the car, so I turn on torque pro, pick up the trusty Passat, and check for non-appearing CEL’s and other gauge readouts:

NO CELs, and BOOST NEVER WENT ABOVE VACUUM as it topped off at -0.8psi.

I feel like I either have a major boost leak, a vacuum leak that’s got my wastegate fully open, or maybe I blew a hose off of the TMIC? The 05+ subaru turbos are a very new breed to me and I don’t know all of the common issues yet, but hopefully this is just something simple, but I am really leaning towards somehow I blew the G-effing-dang turbo which I seem to always do on my subies.

Thanks for any input, and I’ll be around these forums a lot more to come.

Pop the hood and start looking for something obvious first. Chances are if its that much of a leak then you can find it with your eyes. Otherwise use the tools to pressure test for leaks. Thats a start!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Mike: I was under there for about an hour yesterday, but mainly was looking over the vacuum lines as I was under the impression that these cars had some sort of a fail safe where the wastegate is opened by default, but I was wrong. I'll poke around more tonight, but wanted more of a baseline of where to start looking and what's common for leakage on this model.

Nightmare: Thanks for your reply, gives me a good place to start looking from. I've read some other threads on here where the driver had no boost pressure, no CEL and somehow the leak wasn't making any noise.

For all: Does it sound like I blew the turbo with my current oil consumption? I bought this thing cause my hybrid rex still burns about a quart every 300 miles and I wanted something a little more DD worthy. But then again, all turboe'd subies burn some sort of oil haha

Sounds like its not gonna be an easy find.. check the turbo inlet and intercooler. Otherwise if all looks good you might have to pressure test. You also could pull downpipe and check turbo for shaft play. Best of luck! Some things are easier to spot with these engines than others.

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

TB hose? That would cause the issues you're referring to. Hope it's that simple. Had the same on my 05 GT. It likes to appear sealed and hold under low boost conditions but then blow the seal on the IC under higher boost. This happens often when blow-by greases the junction.

You're all like, "it looks sealed" and it's all like, "jk, lolz"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by doobaruGT

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Hey guys, I hate to pull up a dead thread, but I finally got some time off work to pull the IC to actually get in there and investigate. What I found was a lot of oil around the turbo to IC fitting and then when I pulled off the BPV, I found no gasket. Then I dig a bit further and pull off the TB to IC hose and found a bunch of torn rubber connectors. On all the subarus I've had, I've never seen these fittings.

Questions for you guys:

Should there be a gasket from IC to BPV?

Does that ripped rubber fitting look like it could cause my massive lack of boost?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff167/newpinesap/CCED26B7-C383-4519-A2EA-E9122B0A7DA3_zpsz8paqxv2.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff167/newpinesap/8F8B4C3C-8561-4E3B-92AE-BD21F6F7495E_zpsm0jdhiol.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff167/newpinesap/3F6F3F70-BE32-4D18-896E-F1101C67CF95_zps5mr5eowk.jpg

Throw away the rubber piece, its a common problem. I have removed mine form both ends.

Get the gasket you need for the BPV and run the car.

A little oil film is normal.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Throw away the rubber piece, its a common problem. I have removed mine form both ends.

Get the gasket you need for the BPV and run the car.

A little oil film is normal.

^Accurate. The other option is to replace with a silicon TB hose and throw a t-clamp on it. You should notice a big difference. Check fred beans for the BPV gasket and either a) buy it there or b) have your local dealer price match it.

My car is doing the same thing. Im gonnna go look at my tb hose now.

Update: my intercooler hose was half on. Gonna finish up and go for a drive.

Update 2: that was not the problem. Still searching.

Edited by turbo2
Update...again

My car is doing the same thing. Im gonnna go look at my tb hose now.

Update: my intercooler hose was half on. Gonna finish up and go for a drive.

Update 2: that was not the problem. Still searching.

Did you check again when you returned? That hose is very tricky to set correctly. If it's not seated properly and has not had the hell torqued out of it, the smallest relative pressure can cause take you right where you started.

Small reminder that the "boost" is relative. In other words, positive numbers only mean atmospheric (14.7) plus whatever you're reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by doobaruGT

Update from my side too: I just went out today, pulled the IC again. Replaced the O-ring from turbo to IC, BPV gasket (non existent to start with) and then I pulled off the rubber fittings that were blown from the TB and then torqued the hose down super hard. Drove it and again, no power.

I have no idea if this is related at all, but before this issue started happening, I would drive the car and sometimes on the trip computer (the little thing that tells mpg, trip time, and distance to empty) would just say Err. Didn't say Err 46 or anything like that, just a plaid Err that would come and go.

Update from my side too: I just went out today, pulled the IC again. Replaced the O-ring from turbo to IC, BPV gasket (non existent to start with) and then I pulled off the rubber fittings that were blown from the TB and then torqued the hose down super hard. Drove it and again, no power.

I have no idea if this is related at all, but before this issue started happening, I would drive the car and sometimes on the trip computer (the little thing that tells mpg, trip time, and distance to empty) would just say Err. Didn't say Err 46 or anything like that, just a plaid Err that would come and go.

I do not have any error messages.

Edited by turbo2

Ok so this morning I said screw it and activated launch control. It went to 1lb. Went for a drive and it was fine for 3 miles. I made a sharp left and back to no power. I'm gonna go with nightmare and say it's a loose vac line. Will do a vac test in the afternoon.

Ok, so excuse my noob-ism, but how will a loose vacuum line lead to no boost? I was under the impression that the vacuum system had a one way valve that actuated when intake pressures went to boost from vacuum and then would de-activate under no boost and vacuum again.

Can someone throw me a quick explanation?

update from my side: Went out and pulled the downpipe to check the turbo. Turbo spins freely with zero shaft play. I found a vacuum leak from the boost solenoid and fixed that yesterday as well. I have a new BPV coming, and if that doesn't remedy the issue, it looks like I have no choice but to take it to someone who can do a boost leak test

You could make a boost leak tester out of cpvc tubing. You get a larger one that would fit where the intake is, cap the far end, install a quick fit for a pressure line, attach a pressure hose to about 15psi and watch the gauge and listen. It will reveal any boost leaks instead of throwing money at it with parts. Taking it to a shop would also be money well spent since you would at least know the issue then.

Here's a rough idea on how to go about it.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2205161

Sent from my iPhone using Ta

Edited by doobaruGT

I seem to have the same issue as you two. Mostly stock with a BNR 16g and an Infamous 1 tune.

Anyway, I get boost up to but not to exceed about -1 psia. With my tune I should hit +15 psia.

I haven't dug around too much, but I do have an oil leak on the turbo oil outlet hose. I loose a quart every 800 to 1200 miles because of the leak. I will have to pull the turbo to fix that. I'm hoping something jumps out at me when I get around to pulling the turbo.