LegacyGT.com

1997 Legacy Brighton - Engine / Timing belt question?

I have 1997 Legacy Brighton wagon. When I bought it three years ago it had 122k. I was told that the PO ruined the engine and they swapped in an engine with 90k. The guy I bought it from said that he did the timing belt, WP and clutch at the time of the engine swap.

I have been researching the timing belt on these and I am not sure if I have a 1997+ engine or a pre-1996. Is there different TB kits for these years or are they all the same? How can I tell what type EJ22 I have - Interference or non interference?

Thanks!

90 - ~97 the timing belt kits for the ej22 are all the same. around 98 they changed the belt tensioner from the old style two piece, idler and tensioner, to the new style one piece, idler / tensioner combined. the belts the water pump, and other 3 idlers are all the same 90 - 98.

starting in 99 they changed the the belt when they went to the phase 2 ej22. it has the spark plugs going thru the valve covers like the ej25.

there are some minor visual differences between the 96 non interference and the 97 interference engines, but i'm not familiar with them.

when in doubt, change the timing belt and all idlers along with the tensioner (if it has the new style) and the water pump. this will give you 60k miles with out headache.

• I Donated
Take the timing cover off and look at the tensioner...or you can look at the coil pack plug and be able to tell based on what kind of connector it has on it

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived