LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy GT transmission/ecu problems

Hello to my fellow 2007-2008 legacy GT owners, I too have experienced this so called "hesitation" and "stuttering" of the my engine. I own a 2008 legacy GT with a 5speed automatic and with 18k miles on it. This is one of many problems that I have experienced with my subaru. My car started to act up and hesitate when i would come to a complete stop, then the engine would studder and just shut off. At first I wrote this of to bad gas, but when the stuttering became more frequent I took it into the nearest dealership. After 2 weeks of taking it in and throwing no codes, a technician drove the car and finally was able to to duplicate the stalling problem. This dealership by the way was run by a bunch of ignorant hicks, who said that the problem was a relay in the main computer, which was somehow turning on and off messing with the ECU.

This is when i called SOA to report my problem, and get a case number. My dealer said it would be a week before they could order a new relay, I couldnt wait as i had to come home from college, so i decided to take the car straight from my college, to my home town 2 hours away where I purchased the car. I was able to make the trip nonstop, it was only once i was parked at my dealership did the car stall once again and then it would not restart. Lucky Me. Once at a quality dealership I left my car and had them redo all of the diagnostics, the dealership was able to duplicate the problem once again, and finally the computer threw codes. I was informed by my dealer today that there is a bad solenoid inside the transmission and there could be additional damage inside the tranny.The solenoid was short circuiting the computer and that possibly that my car will require a new transmission all together. SOA has informed me that the parts and my car will take 1 week plus to fix.So much for a 30,000 dollar car. I just wanted to post my experience with this problem, so that someone else will not have to go through the headaches that I have experienced with my dealers in trying to figure out this stalling problem.

The first dealerhip I took the car to was in Colbumia,MO If you are ever in Columbia,MO DO NOT go near University Chysler-Subaru, the service staff is a joke, they never call their customers back in a timely manner, the technicians leave your car a greasy mess, and this dealership took offense when I caled SOA on them, to report that they had no idea what they were doing.

The only dealeship worth going to in Missouri is St.Peters Lou Fusz,This is where I purchased my vehicle, the service staff is professional, provided me with a rental car, found the real problem with my car within the first 48 hours and have been in constant contact with me ever since I dropped it off. I HIGHLY recommend this dealership to anyone in the area of St.Louis,MO

• 3 years later...
Had the same problem with my 08' LGT and the dealer jerked me around with the whole "no codes" thing until i took my car back and it broke down and almost killed me on a hill. I left my car and made the dealer pick it up and left a very angry voicemail. 3 days later the same solenoid was fixed. Luckily, I had no transmission damage. Except now a year later I'm having a similar problem again. Although i think it's due to low fluid

I had the same issue described, but luckily my LGT threw some codes right before I dropped the car off at the dealership. The code was related to a Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction. They also did some line pressure tests and noted the pressure was low. In the end, they replaced the transmission with a remanufactured one. I picked it up yesterday and it drives SO much smoother now. No more jerky shift from 2->3 and no more stalling at stop signs.

Had the same problem with my 08' LGT and the dealer jerked me around with the whole "no codes" thing until i took my car back and it broke down and almost killed me on a hill. I left my car and made the dealer pick it up and left a very angry voicemail. 3 days later the same solenoid was fixed. Luckily, I had no transmission damage. Except now a year later I'm having a similar problem again. Although i think it's due to low fluid

The system is a closed system, if you are low on fluid, you either lost some or whoever did your last change didn't fill it completely.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/141039922.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.2971 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 9 months later...

I had the same problem and it took my dealer 4 attempts to fix it. It's most likely a slipping torque converter. Very common problem. First time they fixed it, they only replaced the solenoid. Second time they replaced the valve body. 3rd time they replaced torque converter. 4th time was all 3 and it worked. Basically if they replace these 3 things, the problem should be resolved. Whats happening is the torque converter is locking up after 4th gear is engaged and the solenoid is not activating the valve body to disengage it, so as you come to a stop the car isn't downshifting, therefore causing the car to stall and die. You can actually make the car temporarily drivable if you get stuck with this. Turn the car back on and start in neutral and drop it into D, but you cant let the car past 4th gear or it will lock up again. I know this sucks, but at least you'll get home.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd put my two cents in.

Archived