LegacyGT.com

How to Buy a New Subaru at 2% Below Dealer Invoice Without Haggling

Jon in CT

Anyone know if there will be any restrictions on using the VIP discount for the 2010 Legacy/Outback? Or should I be able to tget the discount right away? Has SOA barred use of the discount at new model introduction in the past? I am looking to get the 2010 Outback (despite its flaws) and I would like to do it as soon as possible (since our older car is starting to give out).

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone know if there will be any restrictions on using the VIP discount for the 2010 Legacy/Outback? Or should I be able to tget the discount right away? Has SOA barred use of the discount at new model introduction in the past? I am looking to get the 2010 Outback (despite its flaws) and I would like to do it as soon as possible (since our older car is starting to give out).

Are you registered with a club? You should be able to get details of the offer when you are eligible. I should be coming up on eligibility in Sept some time. I can let you know when I hear, but I imagine you'd be ok with an outback, just make sure you follow the suggestions in this thread.

Are you registered with a club? You should be able to get details of the offer when you are eligible. I should be coming up on eligibility in Sept some time. I can let you know when I hear, but I imagine you'd be ok with an outback, just make sure you follow the suggestions in this thread.

Thanks. I am actually already registered with a club for more than a year, so I am eligible. What I was asking about is restrictions that SOA might have, not wanting a brand-new model available for a discount right away.

To answer my own question, I got a response from SOA_Blog over at NASIOC, where he confirmed that VIP won't be available right at model introduction:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27380683&postcount=2279

I signed up for a club a couple months ago and will be eligible in November, my question is, by that time the 2010's will be selling, but I want a 2009, will they still honor it? or is it for the current new model selling?

I signed up for a club a couple months ago and will be eligible in November, my question is, by that time the 2010's will be selling, but I want a 2009, will they still honor it? or is it for the current new model selling?

As of now, AFAIK, there is no VIP program on the 2010 Legacy. I would assume you should be good, but you shouldn't have too much of a hassle if you wanted to negotiate under invoice for an '09 in November. I assume the dealership's logic at that time would be to blow out any old inventory still sitting on their lots.

Even with the vip you might want to try to haggle with them to see if you can do better in the current market, especially on an outgoing model year. Once you present them with your vip creds, your chances of haggling are over.

Of course, if your trying to talk them down and they wont budge to invoice or below, and then you hand them your vip papers, they wont be happy with you.

• 7 months later...

(1) Has anyone bought a 2010 subaru legacy under 2% invoice (obviously without using this promo)? Please describe your circumstance in detail so we can all learn the ways.

(2) Has anyone seen an unnecessary markup in labor for added on accessories?

• 1 month later...

This VIP program is great! I bought one of the first (of 6) 2010 Outbacks that my local dealer had last fall. Walked in, asked if they had a fax with my wife's name on it and there was the price, 2% below invoice. Wow. They even gave a great deal on my trade!

The Leave No Trace program is the easiest way for most familys to get in. And it's a great cause that most Subaru owners can relate to, a cleaner backcountry experience through education. It's $20 for the year, wait 6 months, then call them (LNT) for the letter to be faxed to your local dealer. Then go to your dealer and ask them if they got the fax. Out comes the invoice. $20 bucks can save you thousands.

The dealer did mention that there are diferent levels of discount. +2%, 0%, -2%. He was a bit suprised about the 2% below that I got. I think most may be right at invoice price. My wife is a Veterinarian so we used her membership to the AVMA, it was at the highest level, 2% below invoice. My dealer had no issues with me using the VIP program to buy one from his first 2010 Outback's. I bought the second Outback sold at our dealer. Love my Super-ru!

To answer another question from above, I don't think any dealer will offer invoice pricing from haggeling. They are in business to make money. My dealership hadn't had anyone use any VIP deal in months. So I don't think its that common. Go join Leave no Trace! Check it! http://www.lnt.org/programs/subaruVIP.php

• 5 months later...

Not that LGT members would want to hear this, but I am considerig going to the dark side with a new 2011 WRX. I am not in a hurry, so may want ot take advantage of the VIP program, despite the wait time.

With the last post being so old, is the info still accurate?

(1) Has anyone bought a 2010 subaru legacy under 2% invoice (obviously without using this promo)? Please describe your circumstance in detail so we can all learn the ways.

(2) Has anyone seen an unnecessary markup in labor for added on accessories?

I got my '11 LGT at 2% below dealer invoice without haggling. I simply shopped around for the best price, and then asked local dealers to match it. The best price I was offered was Heuberger out of Colorado--I negotiated a greaaaat price with them, and then showed it to my local dealer. If the local dealer didn't match it, I would simply have purchased from Heuberger and had them ship the car my way. My dealer did, though, agree to match it. I got a $33,900 LGT (with options) for $30,126 delivered.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Most dealers will give you invoice price for a new car if they don't, go somewhere else that will there is plenty off them around.

Now about deal invoice you can ask to see the dealer invoice and most will show it to you and say this is what we paid for the car. there will be a list of thing like, the price of the car, the destionation charge, the perperation of the vehicle that the dealer does, fuel ect...... now the price of the vehicle and the destonation charge is what the dealer did infact pay they are not lieing to you about that, now the other stuff like prep and fuel the deal pays for so every thing but the price and destonation charge can come off the invoice price. At this point a light should come on and you should think. This is the dealers invoice what they paid for the car and they are about to give me a car for what they paid for it or a littlel less beacuse then need this car gone. but what they arent telling you is the incentives that Corporate Subaru gives to the dealer after they sell the car. So say you go look at a $33,000 LGT and the Dealer invoice says $30,000 (usulaly around 10% less than sticker) when they sell it they send in the paper work to Subaru and get a check back for what ever the incentive is at the time plus remember every thing else on that invoice the dealer had to pay for gets reimbursed like prep and fuel. So the hard thing is to find out what the incentives are for that particular vehicle at that time and give them a fair deal they need to make money or they wont sell and you should always get below invoice.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure, seems a bit high to me, with out doing any research.

Not too many sites have the 2012 invoice pricing up yet, but AOL Autos does.

You can spec everything out and it will give you the actual invoice and MSRP. I know this because it was dead-on two quotes from dealers using the VIP pricing through Leave No Trace. 2011 invoice is a bit off because the destination charge went up and the Premium level got a $300 increase.

I ended up ordering the car I wanted since not too many were available yet.

Alternatively, I would definitely encourage contacting Heuberger Motors in CO. They do a TON of out of state business and were actually able to beat the VIP pricing, and that included shipping the car to any location. I can give you an email for my contact there if you PM me.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Check out my thread here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/might-pull-trigger-legacy-premium-185231.html

I was able to get a brand new 2012 Legacy Premium 2.5i with AWP, dimming review mirror and all-weather mats for $21,800. After taxes, trade-in ($3,500) and fees, I paid a grand total of $20,000 for the vehicle. The key was I went to a couple dealerships and noticed they had a lot of Legacys sitting on their lots (an Impreza would have cost me more). After a little more research, found out Legacys are not selling well, so I was able to be a little bolder with my negotiation. Once I got one dealer to verbally offer me $21,500, I knew I could probably get that anywhere. The only problem is you're bound to annoy a dealer or two, since they always want you to buy the car when you're talking to them. I brought a quote I got from one dealer, to another dealer and when I showed it to him he said, "What do you hope to accomplish with this?".

Long story short, the best time to negotiate is when dealers are sitting on a certain model (might be common sense though).

Edited by riceprotein

• 6 months later...

End of the month is usually best.

Believe it or not, on October 30, 2012, I bought a 2013 NOT a 2012, for $1350 below invoice, and I haggled!!!I

I got a 2013 2.5i 6mt with tax, license and extended warranty for a whopping $22,060.

Another dealer was willing to give me $1500 off invoice on a 2013 2.5i limited, but I really wanted a manual transmission.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek