LegacyGT.com

Fix Report: Gas Smell (Again) & Whine at Start Up

Dealership: North Shore Subaru in Highland Park, IL

Dealership Rating: A

Reported problems:

(1) Leaking gas smell. Second time, second winter. First time fixed at different dealership. I decided to call Subaru of America to officially document the complaint, as I believe this to be a fire, environmental, and health hazard and I shouldn't have to go in once a year to "tighten up my gas lines". No car should be leaking gas like this. Repair apparently will cost $700. Original repair cost $51.33. Grave concern here! Escalating. Please call Subaru of America to document your leaking gas smell. Also considering filing a complaint with the NHTSA.gov.

(2) Whine/grind at start up in cold weather for approx. 1-2 seconds. Thought it was turbo because I perceived the noise was coming from center, behind firewall. Turns out I need a new steering rack (leaking). Come to think, that would explain why my steering all of a sudden got easier, then harder, then normal a few days ago! Didn't think anything of it then. 5 days to fix due to necessity to order part. Satisfied especially as extended warranty paid for it.

Hope this helps anyone.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calling the companies corporate customer service line: It'll get you nowhere

Subaru is absolutely useless when it comes to helping out their customers. I've talked/complained to them before. One time I needed specific vehicle specs that I couldn't find, and the person on the other end told me there is no way to get them (I believe it had to do with clamping force and something else with the stock tranny.)

I've also called them to complain about my dealer and something my dealer did. What did Subaru do? They called the dealer, told them it was me making a complaint, then took the dealer's side with everything.

Lesson learned: Call the BBB and NHTSA (not that these will get you much further, but NHSTA will launch an investigation into an issue with enough complaints. We had a 2000 Silverado that would trip the ABS at very low stopping speeds causing the vehicle to slide beyond the intended stopping point. We paid to have it replaced, and I did my research. I found out it was a common problem. I complained to the NHTSA and waited. Months later we received a check from Chevrolet and the issue became a recall. I'm sure they received a lot of complaints from people.

I have the same gas smell/seepage problem in really cold weather. I plan on replacing all the EFI lines by the driver stut tower, hopefull this will cure it. I can see the leaks but tightening the clamp did not work.

I used .040" lock wire on each side of the clamp on the fuel line by #2 injector last month. I have not had the fuel smell since.

I'm sure you can do that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I used .040" lock wire on each side of the clamp on the fuel line by #1 injector last month. I have not had the fuel smell since.

I'm sure you can do that.

I may need to borrow some of your lock wire.. My cars starting to get the smell with the air on and its just over whelming..

Looks like Subaru (North Shore Subaru) wants to charge me $700 to fix this because they apparently need to take the intake manifold off to replace/tighten clamps. Subaru of America said that I must pay for the repair, then email them with the repair order from when I had it fixed the first time and this second time, and then a "manager will look at it" to see what they can do for me. It was previously repaired at Liberty Auto City in a day, for much less than $700. Looking for the invoice, now.

No well-maintained car built in 2005 with 71K miles should be leaking gas, and I should not have to front the repairs on this. That's absurd.

I may need to borrow some of your lock wire.. My cars starting to get the smell with the air on and its just over whelming..

Tractor Supply or Home Depot will have a roll. Or may be the guy's at Advance Auto parts might cut you off a 3ft long piece.

If you really want a piece let me know, we can work something out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just picked up a 05 LGT LTD few weeks back, same gas smells in cold weather. It’s a very common problem from what I'm reading. My car was delivered from FLA in Dec, I'm sure it’s not a problem down there. Everything I read leads me to believe most every LGT 05-09 would have this problem in a cold environment. This should be a recall, or at least Subaru should pay for the fix. They won't because not enough people complain, and most of the cars that have this issue are already well beyond the 3/36k crap warranty

Just delt with this last weekend. NO, I repeat, NO need to remove intake manifold. They are refering to a 2inch 90 degree rubber hose that leads to the fuel rail. It is a bit of a PITA, but this is a total DIY job. The screws face opposite to how you need them too, but thats alright you can get at the threads. Take a long pair of needle nose and FIRMLY grab/ loosen the thread side. You only need it to turn about one full rotation, then you can spin the clamp so you can unscrew it properly. I replaced the hose with a premolded piece Advance Auto had(was for a GM, can look up the P/N if anyone is interested) for about 3 dollars. Then I stopped at Lowes for stainless worm gear clamps, and I installed these so they could be played with in the future if needed. Seems to be holding great, I have more confidence in this set up than the factory hose/ junk clamps. Good luck.

@CB-M3 - I refilled the PS fluid a few times, which started in the summer of 2010. Didn't think much of it because everything was working fine, no noises. Just used the PS fluid with leak seal in it. In the winter, it didn't leak but the noise would occur at start-up.

@HCF - As for the $700 fix, I had already told the dealership to go ahead with the repair, but now I have left them a message letting them know that I am extremely concerned about the price for this fix considering you aren't the first person (as of yesterday) that mentioned this very tube and the difficulty of replacing/tightening it. It seemed very odd to me that a mechanic would want to take apart an engine in order to tighten a clamp and that there wasn't a less dramatic solution in place. Hopefully they haven't done the work because if they have, I'm on the hook. Subaru of America said they will review the case and I potentially may get a one-time reimbursement. So, hopefully I do!

I get the same damn smell and it's strong as hell. Its only on start up and lasts for a few minutes until it clears out. I worked around fuel religiously in the marine corps so it doesn't really bother me anymore; I actually didn't really notice it until a friend complained about how strong it was. I'm concerned and would definitely be interested in a walk through DIY tutorial on the fix.

No picture of the fuel leak. Open the hood, look on top of #2 cylinder, that's the one by the battery, you'll see where the intake pipe feeds into #1, just to the passenger side of the intake pipe where it connects to the block you'll see a black hose that has a 90* bend in it. That's where mine was leaking.

As for the starter, I'm having my starter replaced this week while the car is in the body shop. After a few years of doing this, it started to not engage the flywheel sometimes. It took a couple of attempts to get it to crank over. It's to cold for it to fail so while my buddies body shop is replacing the damage, someone backed into the car, they'll replace the starter.

FWIW, my ski buddies 05 Outback XT has not had this gas smell or starter issue. I gave him a heads up while on the chair lift yesterday. He did have one wheel bearing done under the warrenty.

Update from the shop about my starter.

He has called his normal supply chain, NAPA, Advance, etc and the dealer, all say the starter is 2-3 day's out.

The weather here in the northeast is not helping.

Oh, BTW, he also said that Jetta's and Passat's have this same issue with the starters. So we're not alone. They began buying used Jetta's a few years back fixing them up and selling them to collage chic's.

Mine is doing the same thing too. Just started this year, neg. 20 to 30 temps sure make it worse. I'm having the issue with whining and tight steering until it warms up more. Literally feels like there's no power steering at all.

Now I can't find my extended warranty papers! Ugh!!!

My poor baby. I'll have to get under the hood this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Archived